Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Matthew 12:40
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

How does this Scripture work into a Friday crucifixion if the Lord was resurrected on Sunday? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 09:04 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

How does this Scripture work into a Friday crucifixion if the Lord was resurrected on Sunday? Thanks

Apparently I misunderstood your question. I thought you were looking for a Gregorian Calendar that had the Jewish days noted.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:01 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
There are other Scholars that don't agree with a Friday crucifixion let alone him being 36 years old.
Well, we DO know that Jesus was not born in the year 1 AD. We DO know from the bible, Luke in particular, that Jesus was born at the latest 4 BC, and according to some as early as 6-7 BC

Quote:
I was actually talking about this year.
Sorry I misunderstood. This being a thread about the date of crucifixion, I ASS U ME'd you meant the 14 Nissan of the crucifixion.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:39 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,721,244 times
Quote:

RESPONSE:

It doesn't. The prophecy of three nights in the earth wasn't fulfilled if Jesus died on a Friday and was raised on a Sunday.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:35 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
There have been a number of off topic posts. Please refer to the OP again in order to remain on topic. Given the time of year the OP has much relevancy, so please stay on topic in order for thread to not have to be closed.

Thanks!

Old 04-06-2012, 01:06 AM

593 posts, read 889,841 times
I have taken all this information from the threads of Mike555,Ancient Warrior and Whoopers and will put together a sort of biblical think tank using our resourses and threaders (who may have prepared a master piece of theologyand one of City Data's best threads in its history?) Our group is preapring a micro response related to Passover and Sabbath that may differ chronologically, but naturally we need to support it with scripture and that will be forthcoming. Anyway thanks for the lesson(s)!

Das

Old 12-15-2012, 04:54 AM

376 posts, read 419,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Keep in mind that a jewish day begins at nightfall.
That's only partly true.

Jewish days are sunrise-sunrise days with the exception of holy day like the weekly Sabbath, Passover, etc
sunset-sunset.

It's part of a greater pattern we see in counting the years.

Rosh Hassanah, the Jewish new year (and birth date of Jesus) starts in fall.
The other year starts at Passover/spring (crucifixion). Exod 12:2
So the years have a 50% overlap. So do the days.

Special years like the Sabbath year and the Jubilee year started in the fall.
Special days like weekly Sabbath started at sunset.

sunset=fall

Old 12-15-2012, 04:55 AM

Day starts at sunset
Note that all sunset examples involve Sabbath and festival days.

(Lev 23:24) Speak to the sons of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, on the first day of the month, shall be a solemn rest to you, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, a holy convocation.
(Lev 23:27) However on the tenth day of this seventh month is the day of atonement. It shall be a holy convocation to you, and ye shall afflict your souls, and ye shall offer an offering made by fire to LORD.
(Lev 23:32) It shall be to you a Sabbath of solemn rest, and ye shall afflict your souls. In the ninth day of the month at evening, from evening to evening, ye shall keep your Sabbath.
===> Atonement day is from evening to evening of the 10th day the 7th month.
===> Strictly speaking this doesn't prove (all) other days were from evening to evening.
=== > In fact mentioning that the 10th day starts at the evening of the 9th day hints towards two methods of timekeeping being used...

(Neh 13:19) And it came to pass that, when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the Sabbath, I commanded that the doors should be shut, and commanded that they should not be opened till after the Sabbath. And I set some of my servant
===> The weekly Sabbath begins when it's almost dark/start of dusk.

(Lev 22:6) the soul that touches any such shall be unclean until the evening. And shall not eat of the holy things unless he bathe his flesh in water.
===> An indication the day ends at evening.

Luke 4
31 And he came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee. And he was teaching them on the Sabbath day,
37 And a report about him went forth into every place of the region around.
38 And having arisen from the synagogue, he entered into the house of Simon. And Simon's mother-in-law was gripped by a great fever, and they besought him about her.
40 And when the sun was setting, all, as many as had those who were incapacitated with various diseases, brought them to him. And having laid his hands on each one of them, he healed them.
===> The people waited until sunset because at that time the Sabbath ended.

at another corner over against the lower city, and the last was erected above the top of the Pastophoria, where one of the priests stood of course, and gave a signal beforehand, with a trumpet (19) at the beginning of every seventh day, in the evening twilight, as also at the evening when that day was finished , as giving notice to the people when they were to leave off work, and when they were to go to work again.
~Josephus - War of the Jews, Book 4, Chapther 9, Section 12
===> The priests announced the start and end of the Sabbath day at evening.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:00 AM

Day starts at sunrise
Note that all sunrise examples involve regular days.

(1Sam 19:11) And Saul sent messengers to David's house, to watch him, and to kill him in the morning. And Michal, David's wife, told him, saying, If thou save not thy life tonight, tomorrow thou will be slain.
===> The morning is not the same day as the previous evening. So day starts at sunrise.

(Judg 19:4) And his father-in-law, the damsel's father, retained him, and he abode with him three days. So they ate and drank, and lodged there.
(Judg 19:5) And it came to pass on the fourth day, that they arose early in the morning,....
===> The man stayed 3 days and the next morning was called the 4th day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Judg 19:5) And it came to pass on the fourth day, that they arose early in the morning, and he rose up to depart. And the damsel's father said to his son-in-law, Strengthen thy heart with a morsel of bread, and afterward ye shall go your way.
(Judg 19:6) So they sat down, and ate and drank, both of them together. And the damsel's father said to the man, Be pleased, I pray thee, to tarry all night, and let thy heart be merry.
=== > The father asked him to stay all day/night

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Judg 19:9) And when the man rose up to depart, he, and his concubine, and his servant, his father in law, the damsel's father, said to him, Behold, now the day draws toward evening, I pray you tarry all night: behold, the day grows to an end, lodge here, that your heart may be merry; and to morrow get you early on your way, that you may go home.
===> The next morning is another day.
===> The day that grows to an end is just a reference to getting dark.

(Lev 7:15) And the flesh of the sacrifice of his peace-offerings for thanksgiving shall be eaten on the day of his oblation; he shall not leave any of it until the morning.
(Lev 22:29) And when ye sacrifice a sacrifice of thanksgiving to LORD, ye shall sacrifice it that ye may be accepted.
(Lev 22:30) It shall be eaten on the same day. Ye shall leave none of it until the morning. I am LORD.
===> Both offerings imply the next day begins at sunrise

(Exod 12:6) And ye shall keep it until the fourteenth day of the same month, and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it at evening.
=== > Evening (Exod 12:6) is between evenings. Meaning noon-sunset. Usually 15:00-sunset
(Exod 12:7) And they shall take of the blood, and put it on the two side-posts and on the lintel upon the houses in which they shall eat it.
(Exod 12:8) And they shall eat the flesh in that night, roasted with fire, and unleavened bread, with bitter herbs they shall eat it.
(Exod 12:9) Do not eat of it raw, nor boiled at all with water, but roasted with fire, its head with its legs and with the inwards of it.
(Exod 12:10) And ye shall let nothing of it remain until the morning , but that which remains of it until the morning ye shall burn with fire.
(Exod 12:11) And thus ye shall eat it: with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand. And ye shall eat it in haste. It is LORD's Passover.
(Exod 12:12) For I will go through the land of Egypt in that night, and will smite all the first-born in the land of Egypt, both man and beast, and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments. I am LORD.
(Exod 12:13) And the blood shall be to you for a sign upon the houses where ye are. And when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and there shall no plague be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.
(Exod 12:14) And this day shall be to you for a memorial, and ye shall keep it a feast to LORD; throughout your generations ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance forever.
(Exod 12:15) Seven days ye shall eat unleavened bread, even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses, for whoever eats leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel.
(Exod 12:16) And in the first day there shall be to you a holy convocation, and in the seventh day a holy convocation, no manner of work shall be done in them, except that which every man must eat, that only may be done by you.
(Exod 12:17) And ye shall observe the [feast of] unleavened bread, for in this selfsame day I have brought your armies out of the land of Egypt. Therefore ye shall observe this day throughout your generations by an ordinance forever.
(Exod 12:18) In the first [month], on the fourteenth day of the month at evening, ye shall eat unleavened bread, until the twenty-first day of the month at evening.
(Mark 14:12) And on the [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the Passover[/color], his disciples say to him, Where do thou want, after going, we should prepare that thou may eat the Passover?
===> The killing and eating are both on the same day of the unleavened bread
===> The killing was done before dark and the eating at night so this must be a day that starts/ends at sunrise.

(Lev 23:6) And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread to LORD. Ye shall eat unleavened bread seven days.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:51 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,931,619 times
- Jesus Is Not The Passover lamb.

If He was?

They would've ate The Passover lamb as His body.

But instead, He gave them The Bread as His Body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity