Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 06:23 PM

84 posts, read 112,775 times

Advertisements

Let's say that the true message of Jesus was really to show us how to be connected to God the Father and how to love others.

Let's say that the idea that God requires a blood sacrifice is false.

Let's also say that Jesus never wanted us to convert people to a set of beliefs, and if they didn't agree then they will burn in eternal flames.

If all of the above is true then are all the deaths of so called "martyrs" throughout history really what God wanted?

For example, today we have missionaries going from churches into hostile parts of the world who believe that they must spread this gospel of salvation from hell through Jesus to people in countries where they have a totally different set of beliefs.

Are people dying for a so called "gospel" that was never meant to be this way? Are they nothing more than religious martyrs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 06:54 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solich2 View Post
Let's say that the true message of Jesus was really to show us how to be connected to God the Father and how to love others.
It is true.
Quote:
It is false.
Quote:
Let's also say that Jesus never wanted us to convert people to a set of beliefs, and if they didn't agree then they will burn in eternal flames.
He didn't. He wanted them to believe Him and to "love God and each other."
Quote:
If all of the above is true then are all the deaths of so called "martyrs" throughout history really what God wanted?
"Wanted?"I doubt it.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:14 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Let's just say, this is the shortest version of the truth that I have ever read.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:03 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Let's just say, this is the shortest version of the truth that I have ever read.
I definitely think the gospel of peace has been misconstrued. A silent witness by a life lived virtuously speaks far more than a screaming preacher. A "picture paints a thousand words".

Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:

Good post.

Jesus never taught us to convert to a set of beliefs,He taught us to believe on Him. He revealed the Fathers love,He revealed who God is, He revealed who we really are as we look upon Him, these things he did to break us away from our multiple beliefs that blur our vision of him.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:55 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,258 times
Quote:
Love is the one theme that is woven through all the NT. Jesus, paul, peter, etc.. all mention love in their letters. I think that many institutional believe that church growth equals spirituality. Many are too worried about growth so they try any new gadget to draw people. But, it is the Love of God that draws men unto him.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:00 AM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Indeed.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:15 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Love is the one theme that is woven through all the NT. Jesus, paul, peter, etc.. all mention love in their letters. I think that many institutional believe that church growth equals spirituality. Many are too worried about growth so they try any new gadget to draw people. But, it is the Love of God that draws men unto him.
Indeed - of the many claims of power, overcoming, prospering, healing and other "gifts of the Spirit", the fruits of that Spirit have been lost in the scramble for fleshly comforts.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:05 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,407,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
An appropriate snippet from
TRUTH AS I SEE IT – W.F. SALTER

“Does God not love His enemies, even as He has taught us to love ours? If He fails to reconcile even one, must it not be due to a lack of love, or of power? These qualities find their source in Him!

So of a certainty He shall bring circumstances to bear which shall ultimately cause all to know, with understanding, His great love manifested in the gift of His Son, and this in turn shall fill each heart with adoration and love, and praise to God.

When God’s plans for the ages of time (eonian times) have been accomplished, every experience of man will, under the guidance of His wisdom, work together with every other experience for man’s highest ultimate good, and thus redound to God’s honor and glory.”

Old 02-23-2012, 04:23 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times
Quote:
The first thing is that I do not accept this particular premise. IIRC Jesus told his disciples to go forth and preach to all nations.

The second thing is that I personally (and I am not alone in this) do not believe that Jesus ever preached eternal punishment. He DID preach eternal life, and what one must do to achieve it.

As for martyrdom, I get that haters killed many of those who professed belief in Jesus and His teachings. But I am not so sure that Jesus preached the necessity of accepting martyrdom. Unlike the cultists like Jim Jones and others who demanded 100% compliance to the cult, including suicide.

The message of Jesus is eternal life. All of us can attain it if we love God, love our neighbor, and live according to what those things demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity