Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 11:00 AM

8,110 posts, read 6,851,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Not saying that at all Sparrow.

Kate

Katie, How else can the following be interpreted?:

Quote:
You would understand nothing of God if it weren't for His word.
nothing.

??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 12:50 PM

9,653 posts, read 1,171,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Katie, How else can the following be interpreted?:
nothing.??
I don't think it matters much what I say at this point. So I'll leave you to your own thoughts.

Katie

Old 03-16-2012, 01:37 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times
Who has made us able ministers of the New Testament,not of the letter, the letter kills ya,but the Spirit gives Life.

Jesus made a special point of discouraging the laying of emphasis upon outer observances, and indeed upon hard and fast rules and regulations of every kind. What he insisted upon was a certain spirit in one's conduct, knowing that when the spirit is right,details will take care of themselves. Yet in spite of this, the history of orthodox Christianity is largely made up of attempts to enforce all sorts of external observances upon the people.

Emmet Fox

Old 03-16-2012, 01:46 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,306,202 times
Quote:
Not saying that at all Sparrow. Are you saying that if a person knows love they know everything about God. How would a person know about Christ's death on the cross or His resurrection if the Bible didn't tell them, or if they weren't taught (or heard) it from the Bible. We aren't born knowing these things. All of the beautiful and wonderful miracles of Jesus were recorded so we may believe in Him. Without the Bible we would have no way of knowing about these things.

Kate
Can anyone know everything about God?

Anyway, since God IS love, don't you think that if a person knows agape love, they really DO know God -- experientially even if not intellectually? Which do you think is more important?

So, perhaps if Christians were more focused on linking the things the bible records about God to what people experience of His love and not assume they can't have experienced that love without the bible (which comes across as condescending, and negates people's experiences), it would have more impact.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Can anyone know everything about God?

Anyway, since God IS love, don't you think that if a person knows agape love, they really DO know God -- experientially even if not intellectually? Which do you think is more important?

So, perhaps if Christians were more focused on linking the things the bible records about God to what people experience of His love and not assume they can't have experienced that love without the bible (which comes across as condescending, and negates people's experiences), it would have more impact.
And what brought you to this agape love for God? You had to have heard about Him from someone, and that someone had to have learned about God from the scriptures. Granted, our surroundings will cause us to want to know God, but they will not teach us about Him. We have to know Him before we can love Him.
Moderator cut: delete

Katie

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-16-2012 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: personal and insulting

Old 03-16-2012, 04:20 PM

Why Should We Study The Bible?

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls, For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

We can learn from Jesus by reading His words in the New Testament.

I can't speak for anyone else, but many has been the time that I have read the words of Jesus and found such great comfort.

I highly reccommend reading the Bible to anyone who seeks to learn from Jesus. If we listen to advice from our friends, family, colleagues, then surely we ought to be open to what the Bible might say…

Just sayin...

The Bible has been on the best seller list for years and years! Read it! Learn from it! Soak it up!

God Bless,

Katie

Old 03-16-2012, 04:42 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,306,202 times
Quote:
And what brought you to this agape love for God? You had to have heard about Him from someone, and that someone had to have learned about God from the scriptures. Granted, our surroundings will cause us to want to know God, but they will not teach us about Him. We have to know Him before we can love Him.

At this point, I don't think it matters much what I say to someone such as yourself. If you don't believe we should study the Bible, then don't do it. I only pray you don't discourage others from doing so.

Katie
I'll answer the last part of your post first. I understand your concern that people don't discourage others from reading/studying the bible. But can you see that what you are doing in this thread is projecting your own belief, that if the bible is not inerrant then it would not be worth studying, onto everyone else? You assume that those who disagree with you on the inerrancy issue are anti-bible, but if you look at what they are saying objectively, you would see that you are completely off the mark. These Christians are speaking to the many, many people who can in no point of intellectual integrity accept the bible as the infallible or inerrant Word of God. Their point is that the bible IS worthy of study INSPITE of that. Can you see that your continual insistence that if one does not accept the bible as you do then it's not trustworthy is what will potentially discourage people "such as myself" from studying the bible?

Old 03-16-2012, 05:06 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,434,996 times
I would never discourage anyone from "studying" the bible..I would encourage them though to ask the Holy Spirit to be their guide through the scriptures instead of man and his interpretations according to the doctrines his congregation follow..

Old 03-16-2012, 05:08 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,526,815 times
REV 2:17 "He that has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says unto the churches; To him that overcomes will I give to eat of the hidden manna,"

Besides what is on the surface of what one reads in the Bible, there is the "hidden manna" reserved only for His own. It can not be gotten by might nor by power but only by the Spirit of the Lord who's name is also the Spirit of Truth, the third of the seven ministries of the Spirit of God sent into all the world to those who know Christ and to draw those who do not. Study to show yourself approved and the riches of Heavens Truths will open to you.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:11 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,659,947 times
Quote:
WHY SHOULD WE STUDY THE BIBLE?

While we are on this earth we are to represent Christ in everything we do. Our job is to represent Christ to the world and to preach His saving message. By studying His word we will be able to give reasons and to prove by the Word to the lost why Christ is our hope.

Matthew 4:4 But He answered and said, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.'"

2Timothy 2:15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2Timothy 4:2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.

2Tmothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

1Peter 2:2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby,

Job 23:12 I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food.

Acts 17:11 These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so.

1Co 2:13 These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

1John 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

2Peter 2:1 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction.

By studying the bible, it allows us to be better workman for God. It equips us with the armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-18) so that we can quench the fiery darts of the devil and be more than conquers in Christ.

John 8:32 "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

God Bless,

Katie
Amen.... katie !!
Praise the Lord that those who read and study God's word know to discern when to quench by the power of His word..... those fiery darts of the devil !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity