Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 05:17 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Biblical literalism ... the idea that the bible narrative literally happened exactly as recorded, rather than being a mixture of historical accounts, exaggeration, and myth. Also the idea that everything the bible tells us about God is true of God, rather than truly what the people who wrote it believed about God. Biblical literalism insists that if one does not accept these things, then one cannot trust there to be any truth at all to be found in the bible or, if there is, one cannot trust that it is possible to discern what that truth is.

No, I absolutely haven't turned against God. I am completely open to the possibility that God does exist. It makes the most sense to me that "God" is THE creative force/ultimate source of everything, and that that Source is, as the bible records, agape LOVE. And so I desire to be a disciple of Love. To learn about it, certainly, but more importantly to have the mind of Love and to be transformed by it (the bible calls that a spiritual act of worship in Rom 12:2).

I simply no longer believe that the only way - or even the primary way - to have my mind transformed by love is by reading/studying the bible. Personally, I am of the opinion that I will be better off waiting to delve back into the bible until I am more securely grounded in Love.

ETA: I want to add that the last paragraph is true FOR ME, in part because of my upbringing as a biblical literalist. I think that those who do not have that background and who have learned from the start to rely on the Spirit of God, rather than relying on the literalness of the written word as I did, can probably glean much more from the bible than I can.
Let me echo katie's Thanks for your personal honesty and revelations, Pleroo.Moderator cut: delete . Your current dilemma and ithe effect of the Bible on your state of mind should be very eye-opening for those who have "ears to hear and eyes to see." God Bless you Pleroo . . . you are in my prayers daily.
in Christ's love,
Mystic

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-19-2012 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: deleted the mild attack about literalists..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 05:29 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
Biblical literalism ... the idea that the bible narrative literally happened exactly as recorded, rather than being a mixture of historical accounts, exaggeration, and myth. Also the idea that everything the bible tells us about God is true of God, rather than truly what the people who wrote it believed about God. Biblical literalism insists that if one does not accept these things, then one cannot trust there to be any truth at all to be found in the bible or, if there is, one cannot trust that it is possible to discern what that truth is.

No, I absolutely haven't turned against God. I am completely open to the possibility that God does exist. It makes the most sense to me that "God" is THE creative force/ultimate source of everything, and that that Source is, as the bible records, agape LOVE. And so I desire to be a disciple of Love. To learn about it, certainly, but more importantly to have the mind of Love and to be transformed by it (the bible calls that a spiritual act of worship in Rom 12:2).

I simply no longer believe that the only way - or even the primary way - to have my mind transformed by love is by reading/studying the bible. Personally, I am of the opinion that I will be better off waiting to delve back into the bible until I am more securely grounded in Love.

ETA: I want to add that the last paragraph is true FOR ME, in part because of my upbringing as a biblical literalist. I think that those who do not have that background and who have learned from the start to rely on the Spirit of God, rather than relying on the literalness of the written word as I did, can probably glean much more from the bible than I can.
Thank you for taking the time to explain. I understand what you are saying, especially the last paragraph. Maybe I was blessed to have that agape love from the beginning, I don't know. I know my upbringing had a lot to do with how I view everything now. I also know that there has never been a time in my life that I didn't believe every word of the Bible was truly God's very own words. There was never a time I didn't believe in Him.

Pleroo, you are still a young woman (I think I read in some thread that you are a new Mom) with a lifetime ahead of you to figure it all out. God knows that you love Him in your heart, and He will lead you where He wants you to be. Not everyone's journey is precisely the same. I have faith that you will find your way, and I will pray for you that you do. Please pray for me also. We all need prayer for sure.

IMHO, Jesus will not judge us by what we believe, but by our words, our deeds, how we treat each other, and what we teach others. That's my $0.02 worth.

Thanks for sharing. I have enjoyed our discussion.

Katie

Old 03-18-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Let me echo katie's Thanks for your personal honesty and revelations, Pleroo.Moderator cut: orphaned. Your current dilemma and ithe effect of the Bible on your state of mind should be very eye-opening for those who have "ears to hear and eyes to see." God Bless you Pleroo . . . you are in my prayers daily.
in Christ's love,
Mystic
Hopefully Pleroo will not see my view of the Bible as counterproductive, and I'm sad that you do.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-19-2012 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: portion of quoted post has been deleted making part of your post orphaned

Old 03-18-2012, 06:34 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,481 times
Here is why we should study the Bible. Man at large is very inept at teaching about God so God Himself teaches by the Spirit who God is and what He requires of us. He took the responsibility and provided for us the written word and the proper teacher, the Holy Spirit, to guide us into what we need to know.

It is written "Man shall live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God." whither that be written or spoken to the spirit of man.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:15 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Pleroo, you are still a young woman (I think I read in some thread that you are a new Mom)
More like an old, used Mom ... not quite up there with Sarah and Elizabeth but close enough to sympathize.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I have enjoyed our discussion.

Katie
So have I.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:33 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:

Please share how God's word has influenced your life. I still think this would make a great thread topic.

Katie
God has spoken to me MANY times through Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you says the Lord, they are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope". I found this verse in 2004 when I got laid off and when I read it God told me everything would fine, I had a great future to look forward to. Anytime I am a feeling anxious about the future I read this verse and am reminded of God's promise.

Katie your mom sounds a little like mine, and she is also 93

Old 03-19-2012, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
God has spoken to me MANY times through Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you says the Lord, they are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope". I found this verse in 2004 when I got laid off and when I read it God told me everything would fine, I had a great future to look forward to. Anytime I am a feeling anxious about the future I read this verse and am reminded of God's promise.

Katie your mom sounds a little like mine, and she is also 93
What a beautiful scripture! Thank you for sharing it.

I'd say we are both very blessed to still have our Moms. Actually, I made a mistake when I said my Mom is 93. She turned 94 in December.

God Bless,

Katie

Old 03-19-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
More like an old, used Mom ... not quite up there with Sarah and Elizabeth but close enough to sympathize.
I thought I'd seen on the non debate thread someone asking you how the baby was.

Glad to know you're right up there with me.

Katie

Old 03-19-2012, 08:46 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
I thought I'd seen on the non debate thread someone asking you how the baby was.

Glad to know you're right up there with me.

Katie
Yes, the baby is new ... I'm not.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:14 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Hopefully Pleroo will not see my view of the Bible as counterproductive, and I'm sad that you do.Moderator cut: orphaned
My rejection of the inerrancy and infallibility (easily shown thru scholarship) of the Bible is not a personal attack on you or any others. It just is completely justified. My explanations are intended to educate. They are not intended to hurt you or anyone, katie. Moderator cut: delete

There is no room for fear in Love and God IS love, katie. Fear of God was the beginning of wisdom (self-control) for our species. It is not the end. That is why Jesus came to correct the beliefs about God . . . NOT reinforce the savage blood sacrifice mentality. All the "justice" rationale is man-made because it is all about vengeance and not about correction. Even young children today recognize that it is wrong for the big and strong to victimize and intimidate the small and weak to show how strong they are (Bully). How much more so is it inappropriate for our Almighty God to do so with us puny creations!!!

There is NOTHING "Just"about the vengeful rationale in the OT and in the concept of eternal torment. I know you love God, katie. It is clear to me that you truly are focused on the love of Christ and you just accept the OT evil as necessary because we don't understand God. Sorry, but I DO understand God and there is NO WAY any of that heinous evil attributed to Him is true. Jesus revealed the true God and I believe HIM! If you read the Bible with the "mind of Christ"(WWJD) you will see all that is NOT true about God and what is true. But a blind acceptance based on the precept of inerrancy and infallibility is a man-made doctrine . . . and is patently false. That does NOT mean the Bible is not God-inspired or that we cannot discern what is true and what is false. Christ abides with us and His Holy Spirit within can guide us to truth based on what God has "written in our hearts." But we have to stop making excuses for God based on a clearly false premise about the Bible.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-19-2012 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: deleted a mild attack..reports ya know..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity