Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 03:42 PM

947 posts, read 682,733 times

Advertisements

Until recently,I have always thought that Christianity is a Religion. In fact even in a dictionary, it says so. But much to my surprise, the Evangelists nowadays insist Christianity is not a religion at all. Why this recent change in nomenclature? And at what point did it change? After all, Christianity has been seen as a Religion for so many centuries. So why the sudden change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 09:24 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,826,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Until recently,I have always thought that Christianity is a Religion. In fact even in a dictionary, it says so. But much to my surprise, the Evangelists nowadays insist Christianity is not a religion at all. Why this recent change in nomenclature? And at what point did it change? After all, Christianity has been seen as a Religion for so many centuries. So why the sudden change?
I would say that it is because of perceptions like Jame's "true religion undefiled before God is to visit the widows and orphans in their affliction...."
They don't want to acknowledge that what they have misses the mark by a wide margin

Old 08-11-2018, 09:39 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,258,359 times
Quote:
Potentially to avoid being held to any standards but their own. Plus not wanting to be grouped with the other 36000 denominations, so they are "Christians" and everyone else is following a religion of man. ON the other hand that is true in many ways, except the Evangelists fall into the "man" category.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:50 AM

20,379 posts, read 12,657,987 times
Perhaps because the Bible teaches that Christians have direct access to God, creating a more personal relationship with our Creator. Thus, the experience envelopes our lives, as opposed to a religion we participate in.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:10 AM

32,908 posts, read 26,137,904 times
The issue is one of definition and of emphasis. Those who say that Christianity is not a religion are thinking in terms of the fact that Christianity (regardless of denominational differences) is a relationship with God the Father through Jesus Christ in which the believer has been born again and has been adopted into the family of God as a son.
Is Christianity a religion or a relationship?

Question: "Is Christianity a religion or a relationship?"

Answer: Religion is “the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.” In that respect, Christianity can be classified as a religion. However, practically speaking, Christianity has a key difference that separates it from other belief systems that are considered religions. That difference is relationship.

For the rest of the answer, read more: https://www.gotquestions.org/Christi...ationship.html

Old 08-11-2018, 11:13 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,063,673 times
Quote:
That's ok..after all I regularly say evangelists are not christian...

Old 08-11-2018, 11:13 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,300,807 times
Quote:
It's a way for some Christians to separate their religion from, and elevate it over, all the other religions. It is their belief that only people of their religion have access to God, and this is their way of emphasizing that.

But for many other Christians, I think they realize that they, along with others of most religions, use their particular religion as a tool to grow in their relationship with God and it is their way of acknowledging that.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:19 PM

947 posts, read 682,733 times
What confuses me is when the Evangelists disdainfully label other beliefs as New Age. But actually Christianity is previously preceded by the religions of Buddhism and Hinduism which originated centuries before Christianity. So contrary to what the Evangelists sermonize--isn't Christianity the New Kid on the block?

Old 08-12-2018, 01:20 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,300,807 times
Quote:
What confuses me is when the Evangelists disdainfully label other beliefs as New Age. But actually Christianity is previously preceded by the religions of Buddhism and Hinduism which originated centuries before Christianity. So contrary to what the Evangelists sermonize--isn't Christianity the New Kid on the block?
Ignorance is always confusing.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:35 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,678,471 times
New Age is a common phrase used by a lot of people, not just Christians. They're just copying what they hear others say.
And yes, it often refers to really old religions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity