Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 08:09 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,250,550 times

Advertisements

Did your church pastor preach about the Resurrection? If not....maybe it's time to find a new church.

I preached from 1 Cor 15. If Christ did not rise from the dead, we are to be pitied among men, and our faith is in vain. If the tomb of Jesus was ever found, and it was definitively shown to be him.....I'd give up on Christianity in a heartbeat.

How about you? What did you hear last week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 11:05 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,970,064 times
Interesting. I've always taken issue with Paul's perception in that passage. For me, the Way is a foundation for living that makes life great. I don't think the "life more abundant" is about pie in the sky any more than it is about getting lots of "stuff." If they found that tomb, I'd hafta say, "Kewl, that was one awesome dude!"

Old 04-06-2013, 11:23 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,250,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Interesting. I've always taken issue with Paul's perception in that passage. For me, the Way is a foundation for living that makes life great. I don't think the "life more abundant" is about pie in the sky any more than it is about getting lots of "stuff." If they found that tomb, I'd hafta say, "Kewl, that was one awesome dude!"
Now.....my point is that if they find the bones of Jesus.....that would mean that he was never resurrected. You realize that he never rose, then Jesus was a hoax, right?

Old 04-06-2013, 12:14 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,657,928 times
The fellowship I attended was a home fellowship and they preached on the resurrection. All "preaching" was from the Word intended to edify the body. The "preaching" would be considered teaching by many, but was not without power of the Word and i find it much more fruitful than the "preaching" many perceive to be the correct method of forcefully shouting at a bunch of saints making them feel guilty for not doing more. The fruit I've witnessed from this method hasn't been impressive nor do I think it is what God is intending as those that speak without love are deemed a clanging symbol (1 for 13). Without love as God defines it we are nothing he says. Heavy words we all need to meditate upon.

It is a beautiful time for the opportunity to preach/teach others on the resurrection and to share the faith. It is the foundation for all of hope of mankind, and it seems peoples ears are more open to hear the gospel at this point of time. The hope we have in Christ KNOWING we are forgiven by our faith in Him produces fruitful lives. That love which is powerful as unbelievers SEE changed lives/witnesses of Christ's great power and testimony that Christianity is reality and that JESUS is alive and coming back to set up the Kingdom.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:43 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,970,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Now.....my point is that if they find the bones of Jesus.....that would mean that he was never resurrected. You realize that he never rose, then Jesus was a hoax, right?
I understand your point. Mine was that hoax or not the Way he taught is life!

Old 04-06-2013, 01:07 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,454,545 times
It's the way, truth, and life of Christ that matters; not his death.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:46 PM

9,701 posts, read 10,068,333 times
If Jesus never died and was raised up from the dead then there would be NO salvation for man from God ............... See the Judgment of the cross of Christ that happened some 1,980 years ago is the same Judgment that God used to save the people at Pentecost from the upper room in Acts , and the same judgment of the Cross of Christ God Judges people today for their salvation to the Lord , that if people believe on the Lord Jesus and reject the world and its spirit of sin , which is the same spirit which manipulated men to put Jesus on a cross and lynch Him, then people turning to God rejects the sin of the World,............. God Judges the converts and puts the grace of God through the blood of Jesus as God Judgments on people who turn from the same wicked spirit with killed Jesus , which is the Judgment of the cross ............. So Jesus ascended into Heaven and the bones of Jesus and His body and blood went in to Heaven where His grave will be empty.....

Old 04-06-2013, 03:57 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,167,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
His death matters just as much as his life.
Hebrews 9:15

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

He had to die since God divorced Israel in the Book of Jeremiah for worshiping other Gods, so now that Jesus died, they can come back to God. Romans explains the concept pretty well.

Romans 7:1-4

7 Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives? 2 For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to her husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband. 3 So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man. 4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:14 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,454,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
His death matters just as much as his life.
You will only experience the state of dying, not death itself.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 PM

88,869 posts, read 85,336,177 times
The priest and the readers read from scripture the story of the Resurrection. The sermon was short--the Priest said we have heard everything about the Resurrection that we need to hear and that there isn't much to add to it except to remind us that Christ told us to love God and one another, and that we are obligated to put those things into practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity