Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:42 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times

Advertisements

I was listening to a pastor the other day talk about materialism with christians being one of the biggest problems today.

Francis Chan, a well-known pastor in California, speaks he has chosen to live in a simplistic lifestyle and use the rest to give to others. He says he has a right to have some of that wealth for himself.

One person told me the other day to get used to living on 90% of your income.

For me, eventually my job will max at about $60,000. For a place in the nearby city is about $300,000. On top of that, I like to eat out once in a while. I like to get clothes from Macy's, Kohl's, Men's Warehouse, Old Navy, TJ'Maxx, and Payless Shoes. I'd like to shop at Banana Republic and another nice store, but don't think it will be in my budget. I think my idea of a simplistic lifestyle is simplistic though.

Also, I'd like some prayer because I am in college to become a drug and alcohol counselor. And I feel next year will be so challenging. My family has their own problem where one family member has an addiction problem, and my dad's side of the family is very materialistic and their sinful lives have caused much consequences. And I can't help but every where I go I see people consumed with wealth, themselves, and evil except there are some pockets of real Christians and God's pressence that help me get by. For example, I am trying to be able to be debt free in college and it seems like alot of people who have never been in the working class or below don't care to help people in their financial situation. And in California, it seems like the social security system and laws allow people to be poor if they want and not help them become rich. I don't think that's right. I truly don't think people want to be suffering in poverty.

But in my field, I find all too many Christians and non-Christians with the democrat mindset believe in letting people do what they want even if it's wrong. Have we came to the point of allowing people to suffer through their problems?

Last edited by the city; 02-27-2012 at 10:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
You can be at any money level and glorify God, humans have different definitions of 'wealth' and not everyone has the need to boast about their giving to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity