Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I haven't rejected anything Finn, there's just no concrete evidence to believe there is a God. If God were to present himself to me and everyone else as well then I wouldn't reject him of course, but I certainly would have a lot of questions.
If you are saying you do not believe there is God, then obviously you are rejecting the idea that there is a God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 09:37 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Finn, let me ask you this: Do you think it would be possible for you to choose to believe that God will reconcile all people to himself, and would never even conceive of tormenting anyone for eternity? I don't mean, just give it verbal assent, but sincerely believe it? I assume that you could not because from everything you've posted, it makes no sense to you. Why, then, would you think that someone else could sincerely believe YOUR understanding of God's nature even though it makes no sense to them?

Old 02-26-2012, 09:39 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If you are saying you do not believe there is God, then obviously you are rejecting the idea that there is a God.
No no no Finn, I can't reject something that doesn't exist. Show me proof and I'll believe. You can't, so the point is moot. I reject the idea that you must have blind faith in something that cannot be proven, that's all. It's quite simple actually. No proof, no imaginary belief system.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:46 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,617 times
Quote:
Have you chosen Christ as your personal Lord and Savior? If not, then you have chosen hell. It is that simple. You are trying to convince yourself there is not such thing as heaven or hell, but your opinon cannot change the fact that they do exist.

If you choose to go around a corner not knowing that there is a serial rapist and murderer around the corner, are you choosing to be raped and murdered?

If you don't believe something exist you aren't really choosing it.
You're choices or ideas may inevitably cause you to experience something you don't want to experience, but it's not the same thing as choosing the final outcome.

If The Lord wants someone to be saved enough, He will eventually figure out a way to reveal Himself to that person in a way that is convincing.

What's the saying? You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink? Why try to force it. We can show the way and let the rest take care of itself. If the horse gets thirstly enough he will decide to drink the water on his own. If he doesn't want to, that's his choice. He might not know that he is going to get dehyrdrated and his choice not to drink may have some negative consequences, but it doesn't mean he is choosing to become dehydrated.

(okay can I file for mental disability benefits now?)

Old 02-26-2012, 09:55 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post

(okay can I file for mental disability benefits now?)
LOL, I can help with that if you like. But I don't think you're the one who needs to file.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:11 AM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
Quote:
I dont care how much my own kids tell me to let them kill themselves i will not allow it. It is agape love that i have for them. How much greater is Gods love than mine. You can desire to not be brought home but his love will find you out. He will not stop until all his children are brought home. If not in this age then in the one to come. You can keep running but his love will persue you until you grow tired of running.
Amen. God bless and peace.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
No no no Finn, I can't reject something that doesn't exist. Show me proof and I'll believe. You can't, so the point is moot. I reject the idea that you must have blind faith in something that cannot be proven, that's all. It's quite simple actually. No proof, no imaginary belief system.
You reject by saying God does not exist, and you just did that. I am not here to twist your arm, and make you believe. If you want to claim that you can say God does not exist without rejecting the idea that He exists, then be my guest, but you contradict yourself. It is illogical.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
If you choose to go around a corner not knowing that there is a serial rapist and murderer around the corner, are you choosing to be raped and murdered?
In this case people are telling you there is a rapist around the corner, but you choose to ignore the warning, and go anyway.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:15 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,407,289 times
Default our cooperation to be saved is the result, not the cause

A time is coming when everyone will understand that they started trusting in Jesus as their Saviour ONLY because our Father laid hold on them by His sovereign grace and caused Jesus to be "choice" in their heart, just like He did for Lydia, and Saul of Tarsus.

Until that happens everyone will continue to remain in the state described in Romans 3:10-18.

People who don't think salvation is 100% by God, not just 100% “provided” by God like to be in the hands of their own "free" will. That is where they feel most secure.

IMO, that is the most basic difference between ETers and URs.

Just like in the case of Lydia, and Saul of Tarsus, our cooperation to be saved is the result, not the cause, of God laying hold on us by His sovereign grace and causing Jesus to be "choice" in our heart.

The timing of the salvation of everyone is under God's sovereign control.

HIS ACHIEVEMENT ARE WE - James Coram
CHOOSING WHAT IS CHOICE
biblical studies: His Achievement Are We - Part 9 - Choosing What Is Choice
"No one to whom Christ is not yet choice can choose Christ.
And Christ cannot be choice to anyone to whom He has not yet been made choice.
When He is made choice He becomes choice and so is choice; or to say the same thing, He is chosen.
This first act of the believer in which Christ is consciously chosen, is merely a consequence of his new mental preference which has been graciously granted to him by God."

Old 02-26-2012, 11:30 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
In this case people are telling you there is a rapist around the corner, but you choose to ignore the warning, and go anyway.

But in this case, all evidence points to the contrary that God is a "rapist" (ie. a danger to be avoided). For some people, evidence doesn't even indicate that God is around the corner at all.

Why would anyone take some people's word over what they themselves believe to be true, Finn? Would you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity