Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 06:09 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Nope, not trying to steer it into a UR discussion. We have been discussing whether or not a person can choose to believe something that they don't. I was simply using UR as an example because I know that you don't believe it. The question is could you choose to believe it anyway? I don't think you could. And if you can't choose to believe something you aren't convinced of, why would you think anyone else could?
I explained it to you, and you refuse to even try to understand it. It is the same with you not understanding God. You cannot understand Him, because you refuse to try. If you truly seeked Him, you would discover the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 06:11 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Good, for I really don't care to hang around with self-centered egoistical and spiteful personality.
You ARE hanging around with self-centered egoistical and spiteful personality, but it's not God.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:26 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I explained it to you, and you refuse to even try to understand it. It is the same with you not understanding God. You cannot understand Him, because you refuse to try. If you truly seeked Him, you would discover the truth.
Okay. So, at least you agree that you could not choose to believe something you don't. First you have to "discover" something, or have it revealed to you, before you will believe it. I'm content to end the conversation on a point of agreement.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:39 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,611 times
Not everyone wants to be saved from this evil and perverse generation.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:46 AM

86 posts, read 123,163 times
Sure you dont have to want to be saved, live life however you want just understand you will as purely dead and non existant as you have never been in your life. Also just abandon all your family at this point so they can grow stronger soon than later because you left them alone without you for eternity

Old 02-27-2012, 07:43 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,407,289 times
Default What if I don't want to be saved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Okay. So, at least you agree that you could not choose to believe something you don't. First you have to "discover" something, or have it revealed to you, before you will believe it.
I agree with you too Pleroo.

The timing of each person's salvation is under God's sovereign control, just like it was for Lydia, and Saul of Tarsus.

Sooner or later, because of what Chriast accomplished by His death and resurrection, He is going to save everyone from everything from which they need to be saved, including their stubborn will.

HIS ACHIEVEMENT ARE WE - James Coram
CHOOSING WHAT IS CHOICE
biblical studies: His Achievement Are We - Part 9 - Choosing What Is Choice
"No one to whom Christ is not yet choice can choose Christ.
And Christ cannot be choice to anyone to whom He has not yet been made choice.
When He is made choice He becomes choice and so is choice; or to say the same thing, He is chosen.
This first act of the believer in which Christ is consciously chosen, is merely a consequence of his new mental preference which has been graciously granted to him by God."

Our cooperation is the result, not the cause of God laying hold on us be His sovereign grace and making Jesus "choice" in our heart.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:59 AM

Default An appropriate snippet from GERRY BEAUCHEMIN

An appropriate snippet from GERRY BEAUCHEMIN

â€Tradition has taught that God will not save a person against their will. I agree. However He has the power to orchestrate whatever circumstances are necessary to effect one’s will to change.

Once a full revelation of God is received in the ages to come (Eph. 2:7), men will bow and confess that Jesus Christ is Lord just as Isaiah and Paul prophesied (Is. 45:21-25; Rom. 4:11; Ph. 2:9-11). Who would want to continue in active and persistent rebellion knowing God only wants what is best for them? Knowing the great goodness and love of God, along with the Holy Spirit working in their hearts, these hardened hearts must melt before His glorious being.

It is impossible that an omnipotent God can fail in His purpose so that some would forever resist unconditional love opting for everlasting pain. This would be totally irrational. And even if one were that irrational, such resistance would not arise out of a ‘free’ will, but an ‘enslaved’ will, a will in bondage to an enslaved mind.â€

Old 02-28-2012, 01:26 PM

229 posts, read 332,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

You are trying to veer the conversation into another UR discussion, but I have to tell you I have no interest in UR. It has been discussed to no end here and to me it is clearly a false teaching, so I am not interested in discussing it again for the umpteenth time.
Moderator cut: deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
I agree with you too Pleroo.

The timing of each person's salvation is under God's sovereign control, just like it was for Lydia, and Saul of Tarsus.

Sooner or later, because of what Chriast accomplished by His death and resurrection, He is going to save everyone from everything from which they need to be saved, including their stubborn will.

HIS ACHIEVEMENT ARE WE - James Coram
CHOOSING WHAT IS CHOICE
biblical studies: His Achievement Are We - Part 9 - Choosing What Is Choice
"No one to whom Christ is not yet choice can choose Christ.
And Christ cannot be choice to anyone to whom He has not yet been made choice.
When He is made choice He becomes choice and so is choice; or to say the same thing, He is chosen.
This first act of the believer in which Christ is consciously chosen, is merely a consequence of his new mental preference which has been graciously granted to him by God."

Our cooperation is the result, not the cause of God laying hold on us be His sovereign grace and making Jesus "choice" in our heart.
Yes, I agree that a person's belief isn't a choice. Although I'm not a Christian, I can't seem to believe in atheism either.

There is one thing I do know, is that we have no choice in being born.

I also find it ironic that those that are so adamant to people being forced to love God, but have no problem with God forcing them to be tortured forever instead of UR/or ceasing to exist forever.

I personally also can't understand why a mass murderer can waltz into heaven if he becomes repentant (to the liking of those that promote the ET doctrine ALA Jack Chick etc), yet his victims who may not have get to suffer even more in the fundamentalist torture pit, if they hadn't done likewise before they were killed. Yet the UR version is called heretical

Last edited by june 7th; 02-28-2012 at 05:59 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 04:33 PM

Default Sooner or later everyone will want to be saved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Sooner or later everyone will want to be saved.

An appropriate snippet from GERRY BEAUCHEMIN

”Tradition has taught that God will not save a person against their will. I agree. However He has the power to orchestrate whatever circumstances are necessary to effect one’s will to change.

Once a full revelation of God is received in the ages to come (Eph. 2:7), men will bow and confess that Jesus Christ is Lord just as Isaiah and Paul prophesied (Is. 45:21-25; Rom. 4:11; Ph. 2:9-11). Who would want to continue in active and persistent rebellion knowing God only wants what is best for them? Knowing the great goodness and love of God, along with the Holy Spirit working in their hearts, these hardened hearts must melt before His glorious being.

It is impossible that an omnipotent God can fail in His purpose so that some would forever resist unconditional love opting for everlasting pain. This would be totally irrational. And even if one were that irrational, such resistance would not arise out of a ‘free’ will, but an ‘enslaved’ will, a will in bondage to an enslaved mind.”

Last edited by june 7th; 02-28-2012 at 05:57 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 04:38 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
One day every knee will bow and every one will confess Him to the glory of God the Father. There will be no other option, so if this is the case, why dismiss the teaching that God will eventually subject all things to Himself, including all hearts? I agree that many readily argue for God forcing unbelievers into an eternal hell yet are quick to argue that He cannot open all eyes, open all hearts, convince all of their need for Him, draw all back to Him, restore all to Himself. Is God blind or are unbelievers said to be blinded? God bless and peace.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 02-28-2012 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity