Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:59 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
As I said, no one can be refined (purified) by any amount of suffering. The supposed purpose of a purgatory is to refine through suffering.

The word "purgatory", derived through Anglo-Norman and Old French from the Latin word purgatorium.[9] has come to refer also to a wide range of historical and modern conceptions of postmortem suffering short of everlasting damnation,[1] and is used, in a non-specific sense, to mean any place or condition of suffering or torment, especially one that is temporary.[10]

Purgatory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the imagined purgatory the agent of purification is punishment and suffering.

If man could be found approved by God as a result of refinement in some imagined purgatory, there would have been no need for Jesus Christ to go to the cross.
There's a reason Wikipedia is not accepted as a source site on college campuses. So don't believe everything you read there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 07:01 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
If man could be found approved by God as a result of refinement in some imagined purgatory, there would have been no need for Jesus Christ to go to the cross.

You guys thing that being a Christian is all about getting the price of Salvation.

Obviously being a Christian is much more than selfishly seeking salvation.

Paul himself preached that salvation was a constant race to the finish line. In fact Saint Paul doubt his own salvation despite his conversion in the road to Damascus.

Quote:
1 Corinthians 9:25-27

New International Version (NIV)

25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
But in case you have any doubts:

Quote:

James 2:17

New International Version (©1984)
In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.New Living Translation (©2007)
So you see, faith by itself isn't enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.
English Standard Version (©2001)
So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
New American Standard Bible (©1995)
Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself.
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
International Standard Version (©2008)
In the same way, faith by itself, if it does not prove itself with actions, is dead.
Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
So also faith alone without works is dead.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:02 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
There's a reason Wikipedia is not accepted as a source site on college campuses. So don't believe everything you read there.
After posting that, I anticipated you saying that, and so I added this to my post.

'And before you dismiss the definition because it is on Wikipedia, Wikipedia is simply quoting from other sources.'

Old 02-29-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You guys thing that being a Christian is all about getting the price of Salvation.

Obviously being a Christian is much more than selfishly seeking salvation.

Paul himself preached that salvation was a constant race to the finish line. In fact Saint Paul doubt his own salvation despite his conversion in the road to Damascus.

But in case you have any doubts:
Paul was talking about eternal rewards, not eternal salvation.

Eternal life is a free gift which is taken possession of through faith alone in Christ alone.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:

Eternal life is a free gift which is taken possession of through faith alone in Christ alone.
You seem unable to support your position with scripture. Here is another one for you:

Matthews 19:16-17

Quote:
The Rich and the Kingdom of God

16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?” 17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

By what mechanism a saved believer that becomes a serial murderer and rapists gains salvation?

Old 02-29-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
What is the difference between eternal rewards and eternal salvation?

Old 02-29-2012, 07:33 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,245 times
Quote:

Amen. Jesus Christ paid it all!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:41 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Double Amen!!!!! I do not believe in purgatory.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You seem unable to support your position with scripture. Here is another one for you:

Matthews 19:16-17

Julian, I have a thread on eternal rewards. Here it is --> //www.city-data.com/forum/chris...overcomes.html

Quote:
By what mechanism a saved believer that becomes a serial murderer and rapists gains salvation?
Read post #3 for your answer.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Double Amen!!!!! I do not believe in purgatory.
Amen!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity