Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:16 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,127,889 times

Advertisements

If one wants to find the truth, they must be honest about what they themselves believe. If they are propping up a lie, how can they find the truth?

If one wants to find the truth, they must be humble enough to admit they could be wrong. For if they are not wrong, they must already know all truth (an unlikely scenario).

If a certain group claims 2+2=5 as a belief, they are wrong. It doesn't matter that they believe it to be true. Its still a lie.

Just some (not-so?) random thoughts on this day in our continuing journey to find the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 09:47 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
If one wants to find the truth, they must be honest about what they themselves believe. If they are propping up a lie, how can they find the truth?

If one wants to find the truth, they must be humble enough to admit they could be wrong. For if they are not wrong, they must already know all truth (an unlikely scenario).

If a certain group claims 2+2=5 as a belief, they are wrong. It doesn't matter that they believe it to be true. Its still a lie.

Just some (not-so?) random thoughts on this day in our continuing journey to find the truth.
RESPONSE:

Yes. Belief lies in the will, not in the intellect.

One my indeed "believe" that 2+2 =5, but that does not make it true.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:47 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
If one wants to find the truth, they must be honest about what they themselves believe.
Men will believe what they believe, until they no longer believe it.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:29 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Yes. Belief lies in the will, not in the intellect.

One my indeed "believe" that 2+2 =5, but that does not make it true.

Interestingly 2 +2 is almost never 4, unless we imagine it.

2+2 =4 only in the metaphysical world, but in reality 2 + 2 is often a bit more than 4 or slightly less that 4.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:09 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,185 times
Are you humble enough to admit that you could be wrong? Or are you talking about other people?

Old 03-02-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Are you humble enough to admit that you could be wrong? Or are you talking about other people?
Yes, I have been wrong in the past, and could be wrong again.

But I now know 2+2=4.
So I know I am not wrong about that.

There are things that people believe about faith and God and the afterlife that do not add up in the way that 2+2=5 does not add up. Yet people still think they are true. There was a time in my life when I believed these things were true. But now I know they do not add up.

If something does not add up, we need to question if it is really the truth.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Interestingly 2 +2 is almost never 4, unless we imagine it.

2+2 =4 only in the metaphysical world, but in reality 2 + 2 is often a bit more than 4 or slightly less that 4.
Interesting answer, but I would have to disagree. 2+2 always equals 4.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:38 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
I am on a search for the truth to what will happen to non-believers after they die. I cannot rely on what the Bible has to say because it talks out of three side of its mouth. I can say that without guilt because I know that the Bible has been adulterated and corrupted over the last 2000 years by evil men pushing their individual agendas. In the end it just boils down to faith in God and what the Holy Spirit dictates to them on the issue. No one will ever find an answer to the question reading the Bible.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:53 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Interesting proposition Legoman. I believe that one can only 'find truth' when they first define the basis for that which they will accept as truth. For example, 'Is truth that which you have personally experienced?'; 'That which your sweet old grandmother told you was true?'; 'That which 'feels true?'; 'That which the polls say is true'; 'That which your own reason and logic convince you is true?'. As you can see, there can be an unlimited range of things people believe are "true", but, then, does one's belief truly have any bearing on what is actually true?

The Bible says, "... you shall know the truth, and the truth will make you free indeed" (Jn 8:31-32) -- Thus, (if you are willing to accept the Bible as your basis of truth ... which I am) the truth is knowable and in-fact, liberating. Of course, one who rejects the Bible (based on some other (?) form of truth??) has little basis for expecting to ever truly 'know the truth' or 'be liberated from bondage to their own lack of a consistent, reliable truth standard.'

God gave us His inspired Word of truth as a reliable standard and guide for life and truth. He keeps His Word inspired and true (against the onslaughts of detractors) through the same power by which He inspired it ... and maintains His own sovereign Godhead. As a Bible student, teacher and 'Way, truth and life-follower' of many years, I have an unchanging, standard for validating whatever I may imagine --- or believe is the Holy Spirit ... or God's Truth. That standard, like God Himself, is "without variableness or turning."

The only way anyone will ever truly know the truth, is by validating the claims of men or even their own opinions, against a standard that does not derive its power and substance from men. The Bible does exactly that ... and anyone who claims otherwise, has no firm foundation for their belief.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:56 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Interesting proposition Legoman. I believe that one can only 'find truth' when they first define the basis for that which they will accept as truth. For example, 'Is truth that which you have personally experienced?'; 'That which your sweet old grandmother told you was true?'; 'That which 'feels true?'; 'That which the polls say is true'; 'That which your own reason and logic convince you is true?'. As you can see, there can be an unlimited range of things people believe are "true", but, then, does one's belief truly have any bearing on what is actually true?

The Bible says, "... you shall know the truth, and the truth will make you free indeed" (Jn 8:31-32) -- Thus, (if you are willing to accept the Bible as your basis of truth ... which I am) the truth is knowable and in-fact, liberating. Of course, one who rejects the Bible (based on some other (?) form of truth??) has little basis for expecting to ever truly 'know the truth' or 'be liberated from bondage to their own lack of a consistent, reliable truth standard.'

God gave us His inspired Word of truth as a reliable standard and guide for life and truth. He keeps His Word inspired and true (against the onslaughts of detractors) through the same power by which He inspired it ... and maintains His own sovereign Godhead. As a Bible student, teacher and 'Way, truth and life-follower' of many years, I have an unchanging, standard for validating whatever I may imagine --- or believe is the Holy Spirit ... or God's Truth. That standard, like God Himself, is "without variableness or turning."

The only way anyone will ever truly know the truth, is by validating the claims of men or even their own opinions, against a standard that does not derive its power and substance from men. The Bible does exactly that ... and anyone who claims otherwise, has no firm foundation for their belief.

Christ didn't say the Bible was the truth. He said he was. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity