Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,231 times

Advertisements

In my study of the Bible and the Holy Spirit, I've read many books. Some of the authors were Kenneth Hagin, Charles Capps, Timothy Warner, Dennis McCallum, Hugh Ross, and many others.
I usually research books and authors unless they are already known to me, but I just happened to run across a couple of web sites today that more or less point blank state that many of these leaders and writers are nothing short of shill artists. I hope I'm not violating any rules here, as I'm hardly attempting to place anyone is a bad light or state anything derogatory, but a couple of these sites are: *.deceptioninthechurch.com and *.letusreason.org .
Come to think of it, most current Christian religous leaders and authors are taken to task on these sites. One site is sponsored by the Apologetics Coordination Team, and the other seems to be the work of one Mike Oppenheimer.
I would appreciate others opionions and facts regarding these sites and the authors I specifically listed, or any related facts.
One thing that I always do is go back to the Bible, regardless of what any author writes, or what any differing web site may state.
Any and all replies appreciated, and let me state that I'm glad I found this site, which seems like a jewel hidden in the vast haystack of the internet.

Last edited by falcontracker; 03-05-2012 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 12:52 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
I once read practically every book by Kenneth Hagin. That was nearly 30 years ago! He's dead now I think. Anyway, I was so spiritually hungry that I'd read anything back then that claimed to be offering me a way to find God. Read books by a lot of other Christian authors through the years. Some of them made me feel much worse than I already felt (I was severely depressed, despairing of being alive). I actually don't even like to think back on those years. But I did learn that Babylon is a big City and a hellish place where a lot of souls are trapped. Don't want to go back there ever again.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:57 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,887 times
intresting site, I am always on gurard when someone appoints themselves apologetic teachers. I still dont know what that is. I assume it is a person who knows alot of biblical things. i laugh when i read the doctrinal statement. they believe in hell, state two or three verses and that is it. No translating it, no in depth explaining, just accept it. I like what L ray smith did with the whole teaching of hell, wrote the "lake of fire series" (over 500 pages) and left no rock unturned while debunking the hell teaching. I am just very careful when people call themselved apologetic teachers. Hey, but that is just me. I am sure some will like this site and learn some.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:24 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,932,822 times
Wow, and it took him over 500 pages to do it???

Old 03-05-2012, 08:50 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,887 times
Pandora, yes he took more than 500, but i am sure he could have used 1 verse, "God is Love" so he will not literally burn peoples flesh. But i guess he wanted to touch on every scripture that mentions the term hell. I cannot say i agree with everything the guy teaches but he sure provides scriptural backup to get a point accross.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Pandora, yes he took more than 500, but i am sure he could have used 1 verse, "God is Love" so he will not literally burn peoples flesh. But i guess he wanted to touch on every scripture that mentions the term hell. I cannot say i agree with everything the guy teaches but he sure provides scriptural backup to get a point accross.
Ye-ah, if that 'is your reading of it'.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:53 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I once read practically every book by Kenneth Hagin. That was nearly 30 years ago! He's dead now I think. Anyway, I was so spiritually hungry that I'd read anything back then that claimed to be offering me a way to find God. Read books by a lot of other Christian authors through the years. Some of them made me feel much worse than I already felt (I was severely depressed, despairing of being alive). I actually don't even like to think back on those years. But I did learn that Babylon is a big City and a hellish place where a lot of souls are trapped. Don't want to go back there ever again.
Anyone who makes you feel that bad has NONE of the Holy Spirit in his words, Heartsong. If you cannot feel the love of God in the words . . . they are not of God. God is love, period and 1 Corinthians 13 clearly describes what that is. God bless,
Mystic

Old 03-05-2012, 07:01 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcontracker View Post
In my study of the Bible and the Holy Spirit, I've read many books. Some of the authors were Kenneth Hagin, Charles Capps, Timothy Warner, Dennis McCallum, Hugh Ross, and many others.
I usually research books and authors unless they are already known to me, but I just happened to run across a couple of web sites today that more or less point blank state that many of these leaders and writers are nothing short of shill artists. I hope I'm not violating any rules here, as I'm hardly attempting to place anyone is a bad light or state anything derogatory, but a couple of these sites are: *.deceptioninthechurch.com and *.letusreason.org .
Come to think of it, most current Christian religous leaders and authors are taken to task on these sites. One site is sponsored by the Apologetics Coordination Team, and the other seems to be the work of one Mike Oppenheimer.
I would appreciate others opionions and facts regarding these sites and the authors I specifically listed, or any related facts.
One thing that I always do is go back to the Bible, regardless of what any author writes, or what any differing web site may state.
Any and all replies appreciated, and let me state that I'm glad I found this site, which seems like a jewel hidden in the vast haystack of the internet.

I'm leery of any site that appoints itself as "official judge" of other ministries and church leaders. I've noticed that it just about doesn't matter who a person is or what church they represent, someone somewhere is bound to soon go online accusing them of being a "false prophet, false teacher, cult leader, non-Christian, etc, etc"
No doubt when the two end-time prophets spoken of in the Bible show up these same guys will accuse them of being false also...

Old 03-05-2012, 07:15 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Anyone who makes you feel that bad has NONE of the Holy Spirit in his words, Heartsong. If you cannot feel the love of God in the words . . . they are not of God. God is love, period and 1 Corinthians 13 clearly describes what that is. God bless,
Mystic
Two particular preachers come to mind as being the worst at trying to make people feel awful:

1. David Jeremiah - he condemns people constantly and almost always sounds angry.

2. Dave Hunt (Berean Call) - same thing as no. 1 above.

There is clearly something wrong with these two men. They have no shortage of bad news to spread and they do it in the name of Christ and they have huge followings and bring in a lot of money. They are both cut from the quintessential fundamentalist cloth.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Two particular preachers come to mind as being the worst at trying to make people feel awful:

1. David Jeremiah - he condemns people constantly and almost always sounds angry.

2. Dave Hunt (Berean Call) - same thing as no. 1 above.

There is clearly something wrong with these two men. They have no shortage of bad news to spread and they do it in the name of Christ and they have huge followings and bring in a lot of money. They are both cut from the quintessential fundamentalist cloth.
I don't know Dave Hunt.

But I have been run off boards over
not believing David Jeremiah's teachings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity