Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 01:26 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Hi Shana,

No time for a long post today. I'm wondering how you explain Jesus' baptism when all three beings were present. John distinctly saw Jesus come up out of the water, he heard the voice of God from heaven, and saw the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove.

Hi Katie, I am not sure what you are asking. Jesus was annointed by God and He is the Son of God. After He was baptized, the Spirit of God descended upon Him. God said that this was His beloved Son and He told the people to listen to Him.

Quote:
Where is Jesus now? Isn't He sitting and reigning at the right of God? And the Holy Spirit? Isn't He dwelling in the hearts of christians? Three beings, all called God. Three roles but each one is God.
Yes Jesus is sitting at the right hand of God and the Holy Spirit dwells in believers. Jesus is the Son sitting at the right hand of God, the Father. He has the title of God but He is not all that the One True God, the Father is. The Father is His head. I believe that the Holy Spirit is the power of God and is not a person.

Quote:

Is Jesus a lesser God? Is He inferior to the Father.
As I shared, Jesus existed in the form of God. He is the image of the invisible God. He came to reveal the invisible God who is His Father and who is our Father. He is not all that the invisible God, His Father is as He derives all that He has and is from Him. He has already said that the Father is greater than He is. He has the title of God and acts on His behalf but I don't believe that He is all that the One True God is. He always points us to His God, His Father, the One True God. God bless and peace.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 03-17-2012 at 01:45 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 01:29 PM

Thank you, Pneuma. God bless and peace.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:47 PM

698 posts, read 647,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
kids in america, you have to apply some common sense and think an idea all the way through in order to rightly divide the Scriptures.

What does it say about God? It says God is a Spirit. So using common sense this tells us when the Scriptures use a 'human' trait about Him: resting, crying, clapping His Hands and such; it's a figure of speech!!

Does a spirit have to rest and or be literally refreshed? Of course not. And neither does God. The whole idea is that MAN needs a day of rest to be refreshed and thus the Sabbath was instituted for MAN.
I beg to differ, (Dan. 9:21 EBR) describes Gabriel being "wearied with rapid flight."
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
So stop trying to prove God is not all knowing etc. etc. and stop and THINK before you make more silly remarks about Him.
I have told you already when human attributes are spoken about Him it's the figure Anthropopatheia.
I'm not trying to prove to you that 'god' is not all knowing and etc., etc. That's not my agenda at all. I’m just trying to show you all often we read ‘god’ spoken of as if ‘he’ has certain limits on ‘his’ actions due to lack of strength or power. I know that this cannot be true of ‘god’ himself IN person. It follows, therefore that such language must be concerning the ‘angels’ who manifest ‘god’; in the same way we are explained of Moses' seeing God's face in(Exo 33:12) as him speaking personally to an ‘angel’, seeing that no man can see ‘god’ himself face to face and live (See Exo 33:20).

Old 03-17-2012, 03:33 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,723,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi Katie, I am not sure what you are asking. Jesus was annointed by God and He is the Son of God. After He was baptized, the Spirit of God descended upon Him. God said that this was His beloved Son and He told the people to listen to Him.

Yes Jesus is sitting at the right hand of God and the Holy Spirit dwells in believers. Jesus is the Son sitting at the right hand of God, the Father. He has the title of God but He is not all that the One True God, the Father is. The Father is His head. I believe that the Holy Spirit is the power of God and is not a person.

As I shared, Jesus existed in the form of God. He is the image of the invisible God. He came to reveal the invisible God who is His Father and who is our Father. He is not all that the invisible God, His Father is as He derives all that He has and is from Him. He has already said that the Father is greater than He is. He has the title of God and acts on His behalf but I don't believe that He is all that the One True God is. He always points us to His God, His Father, the One True God. God bless and peace.

RESPONSE:

So you think that Jesus is sort of a lesser God?

Old 03-17-2012, 03:42 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kids in america_ View Post
I beg to differ, (Dan. 9:21 EBR) describes Gabriel being "wearied with rapid flight."

I'm not trying to prove to you that 'god' is not all knowing and etc., etc. That's not my agenda at all. I’m just trying to show you all often we read ‘god’ spoken of as if ‘he’ has certain limits on ‘his’ actions due to lack of strength or power. I know that this cannot be true of ‘god’ himself IN person. It follows, therefore that such language must be concerning the ‘angels’ who manifest ‘god’; in the same way we are explained of Moses' seeing God's face in(Exo 33:12) as him speaking personally to an ‘angel’, seeing that no man can see ‘god’ himself face to face and live (See Exo 33:20).

It was Daniel who was weary. Not Gabriel.

Daniel 9:21 'while I was still speaking in prayer, then the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision previously, came to me in my extreme weariness about the time of the evening offering.'

You are probably reading from the 'GOD'S WORD translation' which makes it seem as if Gabriel was tired. Angels don't get tired.

Click here --> Daniel 9:21 while I was still in prayer, Gabriel, the man I had seen in the earlier vision, came to me in swift flight about the time of the evening sacrifice.

Last edited by Michael Way; 03-17-2012 at 03:51 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
So you think that Jesus is sort of a lesser God?
I believe that Jesus is Lord, kids in america. He has the title of God and reveals the One True God to us, who is His Father.

1 Corinthians 8

Cor. 8: 4 "Therefore concerning the eating of things sacrificed to idols, we know that [a]there is no such thing as an idol in the world, and that there is no God but one. 5 For even if there are so-called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords, 6 yet for us there is but *one God, the *Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and *one Lord, *Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him..."

What do you believe? God bless and peace.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:19 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,272,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post

From what you just wrote, Jesus is a lesser, inferior God. You don't come right out and say it, but you say it subtly.

Shana, I like you, and I have enjoyed our very respectful debate. I strongly disagree with you, but I realize that we see things differently. I'll leave it at that. I 'm sure we will come down on the same side of the fence with another issue. I hope so. You are an excellent debater.

God Bless,

Katie

Old 03-17-2012, 04:24 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Was there a 3 in 1 or a 1 in 3 god in the writings of the Old Testament that Israel were taught and were aware of ? , or did they simply believe the Lord your God is One God like there writings taught ?.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:06 PM

Katie, thank you for your encouraging words. I enjoy discussions with you and hope that we will come down on the same side of the fence one day too The word "inferior" seems to have a negative connotation and it has different shades of meaning. I do believe that Jesus is below the Father, in that He is not everything that the Father is. He is the image, God's representative. God is first and He is next. He is of a lesser rank and position. If Jesus is to be subject to the Father (1 Cor.15), this is very clear to me. I don't see this as meaning that He is not worthy of our worship or that He is of poor quality is a definition of inferior. God has highly exalted Him and gave to Him the name above every name. He is our Lord and Savior. God does His work through Him. He did not consider equality with God a thing to be grasped according to one translation of the passage in Philippians 2. He places Himself beneath the Father in 1 Cor. 15 so He recognizes who He is, His position, His role, His purpose. He always points us to His Father and His Father glorifies Him. God bless and peace always.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 03-17-2012 at 05:53 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 05:58 PM

698 posts, read 647,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
It was Daniel who was weary. Not Gabriel.

Daniel 9:21 'while I was still speaking in prayer, then the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision previously, came to me in my extreme weariness about the time of the evening offering.'

You are probably reading from the 'GOD'S WORD translation' which makes it seem as if Gabriel was tired.
Some render the passage: "fly with weariness" or “wearied with rapid flight”.

I know off hand the Rotherham's Emphasized Bible does. However, I think I can’t get dogmatic about the different renderings of Dan. 9:21 because both renderings can be backed by Scripture.
But Mike the wearied person could have been Gabriel. The Prince of Persia did withstand him for 21 days. And the archangel Michael had to come and help him. See Dan. 10:13. The limitations of ‘angels’ are clearly seen here.
Why 'angels' can't get tired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity