Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:05 PM

7,569 posts, read 6,016,015 times

Advertisements

I was talking via telephone to a dsitant friend, far away in the bowels of the small towns of Texas. he told me he is convinced that President Obama is secretly a Muslim with the agenda of overthrowing America. When I inquired about the origins of this belief he talked about his Baptists church (there ya go...) and what the Koran says and all (Or rather what his chrurch says the Koran says and all)
Growing up as a child in a Baptist Fundie church, we were taught all sorts of things in Sunday school and church about other religions, but very little to none of it was true or factual. More about selling one's relgion, than about teaching anything factual or accurate. Made me wonder from a young age, if they are wrong about the Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, Blacks, catholics, what else might they be wrong about? Maybe the Bible and God Himself?
He admits he has never read the Koran. I have discovered that most Christians who quote and thump the Bible have never actually read all of it, though they are adept at quoting individual sentences in all sorts of contexts. Of course they have no overall context for the how and why of those individual sentences and fail to understand that they really do not stand for anything at all on their own, but anyway
I am finding more and more Chritians say "Oh the Koran says this" when in fact they have never read it, and many of the things they say about the Koran, I could not find or recall ever seeing in it myself.
Having read both and tying in the mythology of the religions it is easy to ese how heavily borrowed from the Torah/Old Testament the Koran is. Of course, they all follow the same basic definition of the sameGGod, so why not?
So anyone here who professes to be a Christian ever actually read the Koran?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 05:58 PM

9,662 posts, read 9,918,144 times
I used to watch a Muslim teaching show on tv years ago ,... But as Jesus Christ came into my life Holy Spirit discourages me from even reading the Book , and has said ` this book is dry`...go figure

Old 03-16-2012, 06:27 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,334,278 times
Not me. The most I have learned about Islam is from my mom's best friend's husband, who is Muslim.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:53 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,968,920 times
For the Christians who desire to read the Qur'an. Keep in mind it is best to read several translations as Arabic does not translate directly into English. Many Arabic words have no English equivelent, to get an understanding of some words you need to look at several translations. For ezamle the word Walli is translated as friend in some, as protector in others and as Guardian or Governor in others. the meaning is a combination of those. A Walli is very similar to what a Catholic calls a God-Father.

My suggestion of Translations to read are Abdullah Yusuf Ali,- Shakir, -Muhammad Asad- and Mohsin I urge people to read at least 2 of them to get a better understanding.

While the Saudi reviewers find some translation errors in Asad, I recommend him as he approaches the Quran with a knowledge of Hebrew and gives some insight into the make up of the semitic languages.

Asad is a Jewish convert formerly called Leopold Weiss.

Another thing that one needs to understand are the concepts of Madhabs and which Madhab if any an individual Muslim follows. Also keep in mind Sunnis, Shi'i and Sufi follow different madhabs.

A little about Madhabs:

Islamic schools of thought (madhabs).

Old 03-17-2012, 02:35 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,760,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
For the Christians who desire to read the Qur'an. Keep in mind it is best to read several translations as Arabic does not translate directly into English. Many Arabic words have no English equivelent, to get an understanding of some words you need to look at several translations. For ezamle the word Walli is translated as friend in some, as protector in others and as Guardian or Governor in others. the meaning is a combination of those. A Walli is very similar to what a Catholic calls a God-Father.

My suggestion of Translations to read are Abdullah Yusuf Ali,- Shakir, -Muhammad Asad- and Mohsin I urge people to read at least 2 of them to get a better understanding.

While the Saudi reviewers find some translation errors in Asad, I recommend him as he approaches the Quran with a knowledge of Hebrew and gives some insight into the make up of the semitic languages.

Asad is a Jewish convert formerly called Leopold Weiss.

Another thing that one needs to understand are the concepts of Madhabs and which Madhab if any an individual Muslim follows. Also keep in mind Sunnis, Shi'i and Sufi follow different madhabs.

A little about Madhabs:

Islamic schools of thought (madhabs).
Oh? There are "Many Arabic words have no English equivelent, to get an understanding of some words you need to look at several translations."?
think the same might be true for Hebrew words? Like sheol, ge hinnon, olam? Aionios? Kolasis?

welcome to MY world!

Old 03-17-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Oh? There are "Many Arabic words have no English equivelent, to get an understanding of some words you need to look at several translations."?
think the same might be true for Hebrew words? Like sheol, ge hinnon, olam? Aionios? Kolasis?

welcome to MY world!
Hebrew words have the same issue. However because of the similarities between Hebrew, Arabic and Aramaic the words translate between the three languages fairly well. Even then there are some words that don't fully translate, for example your Hebrew Sheiol has no exact Arabic meaning.

The Semitic languages are unique in that a word can not be accuratly translated as a single word. You need several sentences and sort of read a sentence as if it were one word and garner the meaning from that.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:36 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,101,063 times
I feel like Peter when he said, "“Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life."

Why would I dance with another?

Old 03-17-2012, 07:05 AM

66 posts, read 124,584 times
I had a Muslim friend who gave me both a Qu'ran to read and a video about the life of the prophet Mohammed. What a startling contrast to the life of Jesus Christ as well as the Judeo-Christian history I read about in the Bible. Rather than try to sway readers one way or another, I would suggest anyone read both to discern for themselves what God wants to reveal to them. I will, however, say that I am very thankful that my Christian friends would never condemn me for reading both books.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDee View Post
I had a Muslim friend who gave me both a Qu'ran to read and a video about the life of the prophet Mohammed. What a startling contrast to the life of Jesus Christ as well as the Judeo-Christian history I read about in the Bible. Rather than try to sway readers one way or another, I would suggest anyone read both to discern for themselves what God wants to reveal to them. I will, however, say that I am very thankful that my Christian friends would never condemn me for reading both books.
I agree with you, One should read all things and base their choices upon what they themselves find. Each of us is responsible for our own choices and we can not use the excuse of having been misled. We alone have the responsibility to verify all things. Read, Read, read and then read more. We all need to make informed choices based upon what we ourselves have found and not through what others have told us is true.

Contrary to popular belief Muslims are permitted to read the Bible and many have read, Although it is mostly Muslims in the Western world where we are more likely to be in contact with Christians also many western Muslims were at one time Christians.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:35 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,415,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Have you actually read the Qur'an or just quotes taken out of context on any of the numerous hate sites?

There is no place in the Qur'an were we are commanded to kill non-Muslims.
Guess one doesn't have to read the Qur'an to watch all the love Muslims display in front of TV crews ( that CNN and others seem to find) towards the U.S. and Isreal.

I'm sure you're so confident that you can point to an incident of mobs of Christian's around the world wanting the death of a person because of one cartoon depiction of Jesus in a negitave light .... or the non-stop call for the death of _________ (fill in the blank of a musilm country) for the burning of two Bibles (which of course were being defaced by so -call believers) .............

.......and of course you can point to a Christian country whose leader deny's the holocost, and is attempting to wipe an Muslim country of the face of the earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity