Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:20 AM

91 posts, read 210,103 times

Advertisements

Somebody once told me a story about 3 people who die and they end up queuing up for an 'interview' in the afterlife.

The first one goes in and the interviewer asks what he knows about Jesus Christ and the man tells him about the birth in Bethlehem and Jesus' ministry and his death on Calvary. Then the second one goes in and he is asked the same question. His reply is that he knows Jesus atoned for his sins and that if he leads a good life he'll receive his reward in Heaven. The third man goes in and before the interviewer can say a word the man falls down at his feet in tears and says "My Lord, my Saviour."

I know it's only a story but that sort of explains to me the difference between knowing about and believing in the existence of Jesus, and the reality of a personal relationship with a loving Saviour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 12:05 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
This is all very interesting for several reasons....I grew up religious, but never could hear what my pastor was saying (hearing loss from birth)--so I often sat in church as a child just sitting there thinking about all kinds of things that went through my head and never about the message. However, I did believe in God and Jesus and that the Scripture was real. Yes, I questioned it at times, and still do, but the more I do, the more I believe. I never read the Bible until I was 25. But since then, I never really took the time to study the different denominations--I frankly just did not understand why we needed to be divided...aren't we all believing in the same God?

About half a year ago, I finally picked up the Bible and started reading the NT. This lead me to become what I am thinking is a Christian fundamentalist because of my belief that the NT is inspired by God and therefore the word must be true word for word. I was lead this way by a phone call I received out of the blue the day after I asked God to show me what church to attend. Since this day, I have been deep into Scripture. However, I kind of contradict myself in also thinking that every person can be different in terms of their beliefs as long as the core message is understood: Believe in Him, nothing more.

What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Well, I just think that even before I turned 25 and got deep into Scripture, I am pretty much still the same. It's just that at such a young age, I really didn't know much about Jesus, but I believed. I would think that young children do not know what being saved is all about, but chances are they believe in Jesus. At what point does Jesus say "okay, you're old enough to understand now...so lets start over and see what you know what being saved is all about" ?

Old 09-13-2007, 12:19 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
This is all very interesting for several reasons....I grew up religious, but never could hear what my pastor was saying (hearing loss from birth)--so I often sat in church as a child just sitting there thinking about all kinds of things that went through my head and never about the message. However, I did believe in God and Jesus and that the Scripture was real. Yes, I questioned it at times, and still do, but the more I do, the more I believe. I never read the Bible until I was 25. But since then, I never really took the time to study the different denominations--I frankly just did not understand why we needed to be divided...aren't we all believing in the same God?

About half a year ago, I finally picked up the Bible and started reading the NT. This lead me to become what I am thinking is a Christian fundamentalist because of my belief that the NT is inspired by God and therefore the word must be true word for word. I was lead this way by a phone call I received out of the blue the day after I asked God to show me what church to attend. Since this day, I have been deep into Scripture. However, I kind of contradict myself in also thinking that every person can be different in terms of their beliefs as long as the core message is understood: Believe in Him, nothing more.

What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Well, I just think that even before I turned 25 and got deep into Scripture, I am pretty much still the same. It's just that at such a young age, I really didn't know much about Jesus, but I believed. I would think that young children do not know what being saved is all about, but chances are they believe in Jesus. At what point does Jesus say "okay, you're old enough to understand now...so lets start over and see what you know what being saved is all about" ?
I think I know what you are saying, Nick. I would just say to that I believe there is an age when we are held accountable for "choosing" Christ ... or not.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:44 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I was wondering....lots of my friends believe in Jesus, however, they do not go to church on Sundays, pray, etc. They just believe that Jesus was God and that's it. In the Bible, it says that all that believe in Him will be saved.

So, are these people saved? Just wondering
If anyone can provide definitive proof that they are saved,

DRINKS ON ME! ..... IT'S PARTY TIME!... WOO WOO

Old 09-13-2007, 01:48 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post

well, my friend..I guess you are buying!! I followed the Bibles directions in the fact that I believe in Christ..John 3:16, I trust in Christ...I have a place in heaven...but just one thing...I dont drink anymore..so itll have to be Dr pepper

Old 09-13-2007, 01:51 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:

"He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life, These things have I written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, in order that you may know you have eternal life." I John 5:12,13. NASB (bolding mine)

Would this be definitive proof? If it is, make mine Diet Coke!

Old 09-13-2007, 02:00 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
well, my friend..I guess you are buying!! I followed the Bibles directions in the fact that I believe in Christ..John 3:16, I trust in Christ...I have a place in heaven...but just one thing...I dont drink anymore..so itll have to be Dr pepper
I KNOW too! Make mine a diet Coke

Old 09-13-2007, 02:03 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
"He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life, These things have I written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, in order that you may know you have eternal life." I John 5:12,13. NASB (bolding mine)

Would this be definitive proof? If it is, make mine Diet Coke!

Sorry guys, I just couldn't help myself.

Anyway, I was referring to folks who know Jesus Christ, in name only.

BTW; Who said alchoholic drinks? I haven't had one in over 16 years

Old 09-13-2007, 03:22 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
Quote:
Sorry guys, I just couldn't help myself.

Anyway, I was referring to folks who know Jesus Christ, in name only.

BTW; Who said alchoholic drinks? I haven't had one in over 16 years
idk..i just assumed...and yes I know what "assuming" does-lol

Old 09-13-2007, 03:31 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,188 times
Can I get a tall mocha latte?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity