U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2007, 10:14 AM

5,640 posts, read 14,514,235 times

Advertisements

I was wondering....lots of my friends believe in Jesus, however, they do not go to church on Sundays, pray, etc. They just believe that Jesus was God and that's it. In the Bible, it says that all that believe in Him will be saved.

So, are these people saved? Just wondering
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 10:17 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,273,968 times
Believing is the first part of it. The Bible also says "we will know them by their fruits". Are your friends living fruitful Christian lives? I don't know them, but it doesn't sound like it.

btw:The devil believes that Jesus is God. Just believing doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:26 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,190,159 times
going to church is not a requirement of being saved...putting your faith is Jesus is..My belief boils done to this, the ABC s of becoming a Christian..
ABC's of Salvation (http://www.pixi.com/~mysc/abc.html - broken link)

Old 09-13-2007, 10:36 AM

8,669 posts, read 20,967,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
btw:The devil believes that Jesus is God. Just believing doesn't necessarily mean anything.
I agree here. The belief that the Bible seems to be talking about that Christians sometimes call "saving faith" includes "C" (under arguy's ABC's of salvation he posted) which includes acknowledging that Jesus will be Lord of our life as well as savior. Do we do that perfectly? No, but from the point we give the Lord our lives and we are given the seal of the Holy Spirit, He begins to sanctify us. That's kaykay's opinion anyway!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:37 AM

5,640 posts, read 14,514,235 times
thanks for the posts...still not quite sure what to think, but I'm working on it

Old 09-13-2007, 10:48 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,835,266 times
I agree with dojilynn, arguy and kaykay! Truly believing in the Lord is more than just acknowledging that He exists. As far as being saved without knowing it, I have been aquainted with several instances where a person who was not brought up or taught the Christian way, had an experience of where they gave everything to God, not really realizing that they were "born again." However, this was evident in their life by their fruits and desire to learn more about the Lord, eventually leading them to Christians. Then it all became clear to them what really had happened. God's power is great!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:52 AM

8,669 posts, read 20,967,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I agree with dojilynn, arguy and kaykay! Truly believing in the Lord is more than just acknowledging that He exists. As far as being saved without knowing it, I have been aquainted with several instances where a person who was not brought up or taught the Christian way, had an experience of where they gave everything to God, not really realizing that they were "born again." However, this was evident in their life by their fruits and desire to learn more about the Lord, eventually leading them to Christians. Then it all became clear to them what really had happened. God's power is great!
Yes, and I also think that many Christians struggle with doubts about their salvation but are indeed genuinely saved, but this isn't the scenario, of course, that Texas Nick seemed to addressing. So... IMHO it is definitely possible to be saved and not know it, but...you would know that you had and desired a relationship with Christ, ya know?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:55 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,835,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
but...you would know that you had and desired a relationship with Christ, ya know?
Right! The Lord doesn't save you and then just abandon you... He wants to lead everyone deeper into the truth.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:18 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,273,968 times
And you don't just accidentally get saved. You may have made a decision to live by godly principles like cg81 mentioned, or you have given your life to Christ. Either involves a deliberate decision. You can't (in this society imo) be a Christian and not know it. This society is so filled with Christian influence that even if you are not wise to the innerworkings of Christianity, you would know about making the decision.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:16 PM

22,140 posts, read 31,533,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
And you don't just accidentally get saved. You may have made a decision to live by godly principles like cg81 mentioned, or you have given your life to Christ. Either involves a deliberate decision. You can't (in this society imo) be a Christian and not know it. This society is so filled with Christian influence that even if you are not wise to the innerworkings of Christianity, you would know about making the decision.
I agree, it's more than just head knowledge, it's heart knowledge, asking Jesus to forgive you of your sins, then repenting and turning away from those sins. Change of heart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity