Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:57 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,041,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Well I'm done with this debate. The truth will become clear in the near future it looks like.

Anyone preaching the UR message should take heed, but in the end it is YOUR soul.

Want to play dice with eternity of your existence? Not me. I think the message is pretty clear, but if one really wants to not repent than I guess that is there decision.
Think about this for a moment. It is God who directs the steps of man. It is God who declared all sinners, it is God who said the carnal man cannot be subject to the law, it is God would said that said it is He who can take away sin.

Now tell me. If the sinner is in such a pathetic state would you trust that sinner to pull themselves out of that state?

Does God really just let the drowning save themselves? Does God really need our permission in order to save us? Is not God Himself POWERFUL enough to REMOVE our sin from us? Can He not make our SINFUL nature PERISH and give us of HIMSELF in order to avoid sin? If He CAN do those things and doesn't do them, then is that really a GOOD thing? And isn't God GOOD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 08:00 AM

148 posts, read 134,860 times
Amen trettep

Old 06-19-2012, 08:04 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,789,459 times
Quote:
Well I'm done with this debate. The truth will become clear in the near future it looks like.

Anyone preaching the UR message should take heed, but in the end it is YOUR soul.

Want to play dice with eternity of your existence? Not me. I think the message is pretty clear, but if one really wants to not repent than I guess that is there decision.
Well, Mikey, that is what it comes down to. Pascal's wager. If you don't want to risk Hell or at least separation from God or oblivion (the question of which god and which hell one should be taking steps to avoid is another question entirely ) you have to be pretty darn sure that the hellthreat or even the separation/ oblivion -threat seems so utterly unacceptable and impossible that the implied threat simply is not believed.

Which is where I stand on the matter - in respect of all gods and hellthreats. To reuse a saying. I disbelieve in just one more hellthreat than the hellthreat - peddlers.

To those who cannot buy into the idea that any god worthy of an atom of respect is going have such a disgusting plan as blanket original sin and furnaces awaiting all of humanity unless they buy into some religious dogma, I have posed this question: what is there to be afraid of? If you didn't believe one religion any more than another, what could you lose, if there is nothing to lose?

Now, I have something to say about an afterlife. While I don't see any evidence for one (the late, great C34 has a standing invitation to come and tell me I was wrong but he hasn't showed up yet) I cannot entirely rule it out. But what seems to be related to this UR idea is the corollary that nobody is going to be punished by excluding them. Succinctly, if there IS an afterlife, no God is there checking 'Admit One' tickets. You can relax, knowing that, if there is an afterlife, you don't have to work out who has the keys and if there isn't one - what have you lost?

Only what this life has to offer if you waste it on trying to get into the next.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,727,228 times
Quote:

Good idea to walk away.

All you will get here are the classic lines "Would a loving God really let you drown", "Would a loving God really punish you", "Would God need your permission to save you", "Isn't God powerful enough to save everyone".

They are all just different variations of Satan's original line "You surely will not die", and they all suggest that God would be weak and powerless if He did not save everyone.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:35 AM

303 posts, read 431,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuin View Post
Amen trettep
I second that!Amen trettep

Old 06-19-2012, 08:42 AM

14,905 posts, read 17,208,148 times
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown

There is nothing to repent of.

God bless and peace.

Quote:
Not according to Jesus Christ

Luke 13:2-5

2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?

3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Have you repented, Mike?

God bless and peace.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:14 AM

14,905 posts, read 17,208,148 times
The teaching of an eternal hell denies the scriptures that teach:

God works all things according to the counsel of His own will. - Ephesians 1

God accomplishes whatever He wills or purposes - Isaiah 46

He sent Jesus on a mission to be the Savior of the world. - 1 John 4

God is the Savior of all men, especially of believers. - 1 Timothy 4

One day every knee will bow and every tongue will confess Him, will swear allegiance to Him. Isaiah 45, Philippians 2

All are to be subjected to Jesus eventually so that God may be all in all. 1 Corinthians 15

Jesus has been made heir of all things. - Hebrews 1

Jesus is to fill all things. - Ephesians 4

Death is to be abolished, or made of no effect. 1 Corinthians 15

God will have all to be saved an come to a knowledge of the truth. 1 Timothy 2

God's plan is to reunite all things in Jesus. - Ephesians 1

It was His good pleasure to reconcile all things to Himself. - Colossians 1

Romans 8: 18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. 19 For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, [i]in hope 21 that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.

* hope=elpis=expectation

God bless and peace.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:19 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,512,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuin View Post
Oh my. How hard it is indeed to remove self from the equation and give the Lord all credit

What would have happened to Saul if Jesus hadn't intervened twin.spin? Had he continued on his path of persecution and ignorance without the intervention of Christ, what would have been his ultimate fate?
I can't help that you just will not get over the fact that no matter what is said about not taking the credit .. you just won't. I think that would fall in the catagory of being mule headed.
Hebrews 11:6
"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." ......
Sauls fate... damned to hell.
no more...done with the stupidity of people thinking their being clever and then gloating over their supposed cleverness.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 AM

Matthew 13:24-30

Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:
But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.
But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.
So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?
But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.
Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Matthew13:37-43

He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;
The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;
The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.
As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.
The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

John 3:6
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

John 8:23

And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world.

I am God's field; made from the dust of this world, and he blew his Spirit in this field to give me life, and sow within me love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance, etc., and make me a child of God.

Because I was of the dust of the earth, from below, my enemy which is my flesh, the child of bondage produced in me works of the flesh...adultery, fornication, uncleaness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, etc.

These two nations within this field are contray one to the other, for my flesh lusteth against God's Spirit and His Spirit against my Flesh and so I cannot do what I should do to please him. But I have discovered that it is no more I that do it but the sin that lives in me. He gave me his Spirit as a gaurantee that he would give me everything else.

At this present time God has allowed these two nations to grow together in me; which is why there are times I am kind and other times I am not; times that I love and other times that I hate. But the Spirit of God is more powerful than my flesh, so at the end of my life when he comes to harvest me I know the victory belongs to his Spirit.

He will gather out of me my sinful nature and all the works it has produced and burn it in the fire. I myself will be saved. For the Son came to destroy the works of the devil. He will separate my sinful fleshy nature from my spiritual nature and the only thing that will dwell in me when he does this is his Spirit. I will believe, because I will always do what pleases him. I will be called the child of God, born of his spirit and he will remember my sins no more. I will thank him, worship him and praise him for keeping his promise to redeem me and treating me mercifully in spite of my wickedness.

I didn't choose him, he chose me and ordained me that I should go and bring forth fruits that will remain: Love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance, etc.

He didn't choose our flesh but he did choose us all. Thank you Lord!!!

Old 06-19-2012, 10:11 AM

[quote=twin.spin;24810308]
Hebrews 11:6
"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." ......
quote]

Are you listening to that verse: without faith it is impossible to please God.

But God has to give you your faith. (faith is a gift of the Holy Spirit 1 Corinthians 12:9)

So if He does not give you the gift how do you do what pleases him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity