Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:02 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

The only reason I'm posting this is because of the changes I've seen in both the educational system and in the parishes as time has gone by.

I find that the Catholic parochial school system went from being strict and "negative," essentially imparting the message that kids were bad and were subjected to guilt trips. In high school and college, this changed drastically, and conversations with clergy members and religious types were cordial and low-key. We had people from other religions there and there were ZERO attempts to convert them, with most of them taking Comparative Religions and other non-committal courses like that. Attitudes toward parties, liquor and whatever college students do were lax, as people were over 18 and over 21, respectively.

The same has occurred with church membership and attendance. Most people shop parishes. Families tend to find parishes with activities that suit them. Singles, elderly people, those with disabilities and more liberal types tend to hit the downtown Cathedrals. The meat and potatoes of the Mass is there - the traditional delivery with the required readings, though the music, dance and artwork displayed may differ with the parish. Organized parishes have ministries for everything: visiting the sick, food delivery, mental health support, employment networking, church flowers and altar duty, visits to inmates, and even singles groups for people in different age groups, including divorced folks and senior citizens. Sometimes, retreats are offered and can be fun. They keep these very casual, with a priest or a parish secretary that acts as the point of reference. Most importantly, these groups become self-administered and they go through cycles, waxing and waning, sometimes even collapsing due to attrition and lack of interest.

At any rate, I think there is a baseline folks can draw from. Additional involvement is optional. Additional monetary outlay is optional. Getting married and having kids is optional.

I think the Catholic church is user-friendly. It just asks that you attend regularly and stay on top of your sacraments. As for other requirements, it just asks that you live like a Christian in how you approach things in life. This doens't seem too taxing.

Do you agree the Roman Catholicism is now a user-friendly religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 11:18 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The only reason I'm posting this is because of the changes I've seen in both the educational system and in the parishes as time has gone by.

I find that the Catholic parochial school system went from being strict and "negative," essentially imparting the message that kids were bad and were subjected to guilt trips. In high school and college, this changed drastically, and conversations with clergy members and religious types were cordial and low-key. We had people from other religions there and there were ZERO attempts to convert them, with most of them taking Comparative Religions and other non-committal courses like that. Attitudes toward parties, liquor and whatever college students do were lax, as people were over 18 and over 21, respectively.

The same has occurred with church membership and attendance. Most people shop parishes. Families tend to find parishes with activities that suit them. Singles, elderly people, those with disabilities and more liberal types tend to hit the downtown Cathedrals. The meat and potatoes of the Mass is there - the traditional delivery with the required readings, though the music, dance and artwork displayed may differ with the parish. Organized parishes have ministries for everything: visiting the sick, food delivery, mental health support, employment networking, church flowers and altar duty, visits to inmates, and even singles groups for people in different age groups, including divorced folks and senior citizens. Sometimes, retreats are offered and can be fun. They keep these very casual, with a priest or a parish secretary that acts as the point of reference. Most importantly, these groups become self-administered and they go through cycles, waxing and waning, sometimes even collapsing due to attrition and lack of interest.

At any rate, I think there is a baseline folks can draw from. Additional involvement is optional. Additional monetary outlay is optional. Getting married and having kids is optional.

I think the Catholic church is user-friendly. It just asks that you attend regularly and stay on top of your sacraments. As for other requirements, it just asks that you live like a Christian in how you approach things in life. This doens't seem too taxing.

Do you agree the Roman Catholicism is now a user-friendly religion?
I agree with your post 100%.

The old stereotype is simply not there anymore.

I do enjoy how we welcome other religions without trying to judge them. The absence of proseletyzation is refreshing. At the same time the wonderful rites and traditions are maintained.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:24 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I agree with your post 100%.
The old stereotype is simply not there anymore.
I do enjoy how we welcome other religions without trying to judge them. The absence of proseletyzation is refreshing. At the same time the wonderful rites and traditions are maintained.
If you could only get rid of the anachronistic religious autocracy in the Vatican and minimize or marginalize the impact of the hierarachy . . . it could be an excellent version of Christianity that currently has a lot of wonderful people doing great things for social justice and humanitarian causes . . . very Christ-like.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:55 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If you could only get rid of the anachronistic religious autocracy in the Vatican and minimize or marginalize the impact of the hierarachy . . . it could be an excellent version of Christianity that currently has a lot of wonderful people doing great things for social justice and humanitarian causes . . . very Christ-like.

sadly--we catholics out there doing christian works are so very removed from the heirarchy----and those rapidly rising in it----as to almost being invisible and certainly non-influential in many cases(especially if one is poor!)

that being said---their are many clergy in my faith out there leading us as a community in the ways Christ has shown us

Old 04-27-2012, 08:01 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I agree with this Mystic.

I live in town which is very catholic, they have them Mary statues in their gardens and other stuff,yet I will say they are very nice, warm and inviting people,and from what I have seen are very active in the community in good works.

I used to be very vocal against the hierarchy of Rome, it's beliefs and traditions, not so much now, I believe the teachings and traditions of the bibleans is more of a stumbling block to those seeking His Kingdom than Rome.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:50 AM

1,435 posts, read 1,554,078 times
Is faith and truth suppose to be "user-friendly'??

Old 04-27-2012, 12:49 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Well.... is ANY religion or sect "user friendly" ???? Whatever "user friendly" means ????

The most important thing is the message of Jesus. All else is irrelevant!

Old 04-27-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
Is faith and truth suppose to be "user-friendly'??
I'm talking in terms of what the religion demands of you. I could have asked the same thing of the Episcopal or Lutheran religions, if I was a member of those.

Since there is both this Catholic mystique, and bashing, I wanted to see what people thought.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I live in town which is very catholic, they have them Mary statues in their gardens and other stuff,yet I will say they are very nice, warm and inviting people,and from what I have seen are very active in the community in good works.
I'm laughing at this. Seeing that you're in RI, those have to be old-world Italian and/or Portuguese folks. When that generation expires, it's doubtful that that "style" will carry on. Oh well, chapters close.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:07 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm laughing at this. Seeing that you're in RI, those have to be old-world Italian and/or Portuguese folks. When that generation expires, it's doubtful that that "style" will carry on. Oh well, chapters close.
Big Portuguese Community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity