U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 PM

6,822 posts, read 5,971,272 times

Advertisements

Recently two guys stopped by the house from the Jehovah Witness Watchtower organization. Just waking up, being in the flesh frustrated with all the confusion with all interpretational strife as well as being ill prepared, I passed the buck off to a relative to answer the door. Actually I was just not going to answer it so they did.

I missed an opportunity though so this is important to understand. This thread is about brainstorming how to successfully witness to Jehovah Witnesses. Iron sharpens iron. Any participation is appreciated.

I'll focus on one of their central errors - the deity of Christ and the triune nature of YHWH God manifesting himself in three distinct "persons". JW's believe Jesus is the "first born" meaning the first created being. They also don't believe that the Holy Spirit is a "person" but a "Force". They do believe in the inerrency of the Scripture which is important. The problem is the translation they tend to use is very errent.

It's important to understand what Bible the Jehovah Witnesses attempt to witness with. It is the New Corrupt Translation.. < kidding.. It is called the New World Translation, but it is corrupt as will be demonstrated..

So this presentation will be with their Bible. The agenda is not to necessarily convince them of "our truth" but to plant doubt regarding the watchtower and plant the seed toward the solution. Evidently they will not accept any info to be given to them, but they should be willing to pull out their Bible. So the presentation should be from their Bible being prepared to pull out yours.

Here is their Bible. Any insight or participation is appreciated.
Online Bible: New World Translation of the Holy*Scriptures - Jehovah's Witnesses Official Web Site

John 1:22-23 KJV

22Then said they unto him, Who art thou? that we may give an answer to them that sent us. What sayest thou of thyself?

23He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias.

John 1:22-23 NWT

21 And they asked him: “What, then? Are you E·li´jah?” And he said: “I am not.” “Are you The Prophet?” And he answered: “No!”

22 Therefore they said to him: “Who are you? that we may give an answer to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?”

23 He said: “I am a voice of someone crying out in the wilderness, ‘MAKE the way of Jehovah straight,’ just as Isaiah the prophet said.”

John is pointing them to Isaiah 40:3.

Isaiah 40:3 KJV

3The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.

Isaiah 40:3 NWT

3 Listen! Someone is calling out in the wilderness: “Clear up the way of Jehovah, YOU people! MAKE the highway for our God through the desert plain straight.

John says he is making the path straight for Jesus. John says he is the guy talked about in Isaiah 40:3 which is clearing the way for Jehovah. Jesus is Jehovah.

Titus 1:1-4 KJV

1Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

2In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

3But hath in due times manifested his word through preaching, which is committed unto me according to the commandment of God our Saviour;

4To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.

Titus 1:1-4 NWT

1 Paul, a slave of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ according to the faith of God’s chosen ones and the accurate knowledge of the truth which accords with godly devotion 2 upon the basis of a hope of the everlasting life which God, who cannot lie, promised before times long lasting, 3 whereas in his own due times he made his word manifest in the preaching with which I was entrusted, under command of our Savior, God; 4 to Titus, a genuine child according to a faith shared in common:

May there be undeserved kindness and peace from God [the] Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.
Isaiah 43:10-11 KJV

10Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

11I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

Isaiah 43:10-11 NWT

10 “YOU are my witnesses,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “even my servant whom I have chosen, in order that YOU may know and have faith in me, and that YOU may understand that I am the same One. Before me there was no God formed, and after me there continued to be none. 11 I—I am Jehovah, and besides me there is no savior.”

Paul says Jesus is our Savior. Isaiah says there is no savior but Jehovah. Jesus is Jehovah.

Exposing the New World Translation

1 Timothy 3:16

King James Version (KJV)

16And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

1 Timothy 3:16 NWT
16 Indeed, the sacred secret of this godly devotion is admittedly great: ‘He was made manifest in flesh, was declared righteous in spirit, appeared to angels, was preached about among nations, was believed upon in [the] world, was received up in glory.’

It should not be "He" but "God" as the word in Greek is "theos".

1 Timothy 3 (Blue Letter Bible: KJV - King James Version)

Acts 20:28

King James Version (KJV)

28Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Acts 20:28

New World Translation

28 Pay attention to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the holy spirit has appointed YOU overseers, to shepherd the congregation of God, which he purchased with the blood of his own [Son].

It should be blood as it is "αἷμα haima"

1) blood
a) of man or animals
b) refers to the seat of life
c) of those things that resemble blood, grape juice
2) blood shed, to be shed by violence, slay, murder

Acts 20 (Blue Letter Bible: KJV - King James Version)

I'll do more later. Hopefully we can respond better when the call is there. Who knows maybe I'll start seeking out Jehovah Witnesses to witness to them about Jehovah.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 02:52 AM

5,178 posts, read 4,357,544 times
There are 50,000 kinds of Christians, Of course your brand is right and every other kind, including the Adventist, are wrong......

Old 05-02-2012, 10:31 AM

2,818 posts, read 3,174,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
There are 50,000 kinds of Christians, Of course your brand is right and every other kind, including the Adventist, are wrong......
chuck, you are wrong. his is not the correct one. Mine is.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:34 AM

at least the JW's are in agreement with eachother. Unlike baptist, methodists, etc... who are all divided. While most baptist are enjoying TV the JW are knocking on doors, and the Mormons are cycling out on the streets. I say open the door and give them a drink. And tell them you are no intrested. But if you really want to convert them then you should knock on doors.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:44 AM

289 posts, read 291,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
They do believe in the inerrency of the Scripture which is important. The problem is the translation they tend to use is very errent.

It's important to understand what Bible the Jehovah Witnesses attempt to witness with. It is the New Corrupt Translation.. < kidding.. It is called the New World Translation, but it is corrupt as will be demonstrated..
I personally find it quite humorous that you complain about the "corrupt" nature of their NWT, and then proceed to compare it to the KJV, which is rather well-known itself for being, shall we say, "less than inerrant"....

Old 05-02-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyfor View Post
I personally find it quite humorous that you complain about the "corrupt" nature of their NWT, and then proceed to compare it to the KJV, which is rather well-known itself for being, shall we say, "less than inerrant"....
Good comment. i wanted to say the same. The KJV is so flawed.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:17 AM

11,826 posts, read 11,235,843 times
I would recommend not starting with their denial of the Trinity because that is one of their talking points.

JW's belief that all Christian churches that have crosses in them are Satanic.. that by only belonging to their organization can one be saved and reading the watchtower is the only way to know what God has in mind. They too reject the Bible as being corrupted, so they have their own version of the KJV.

The best way to witness is to take charge of the conversation. The one who does most of the talking is usually the "experienced" while the other is "newer" to JW. Address the conversation to the newer JW

Ask the newer JW questions like:
  • Is or did Jesus remain sinless ?
Say.. then why did Jesus say
  • I am the ressurection and the life, He who believes in me will live John 11:25
instead of saying:
  • Belong to this organization and you'll have the ressurection and the life, he who joins them shall have eternal life
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Since JW's usually starts by one should be alarmed to all the turmoil in the world ... interupt them by saying:

I'm at ease and can be free of fear from world events because Jesus has promised that all things are under his control and power and that nothing happens without permission.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact is that like with other religions that make requiring membership part of the criteria to be saved you will never be able to debate anyhting that won't leave you less than disappointed.

I would just encourage to witness to Jesus, what he is doing and has done for us and leave the rest to the Holy Spirit.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:14 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,068,927 times
My opinion:
I see no reason to be rude to those who come to our doors. I like what Torpedos wrote: "open the door and give them a drink." And while you're at it, don't offer them tea, cola, or coffee. A nice cold glass of ice water, if it's summer -- your own glasses will be fine, because they won't want to take it away from your house.

And it's not that I have not debated lightly with each one who came, but I don't think we should be cruel in our representation of Messiah. Just be nice. You may be the only one they have met all that day who has represented Messiah as we are to reprresent Him. We're all just people, and not one of us has everything right.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:37 AM

1,435 posts, read 1,463,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Recently two guys stopped by the house from the Jehovah Witness Watchtower organization. Just waking up, being in the flesh frustrated with all the confusion with all interpretational strife as well as being ill prepared, I passed the buck off to a relative to answer the door. Actually I was just not going to answer it so they did.

I missed an opportunity though so this is important to understand. This thread is about brainstorming how to successfully witness to Jehovah Witnesses. Iron sharpens iron. Any participation is appreciated.
Here's an easy way; Jehova is not God's "proper" name. No one knows how to pronounce or write God's "proper" name since it was lost thousands of years ago thanks to the Jews not speaking it out loud out of respect. Jehova is only a guess. I wouldn't place my salvation on a guess.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:24 AM

28,960 posts, read 13,162,605 times
The absence of the proud, leave only the humble.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity