Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 04:10 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
I do not believe in Near Death Experiences, I think the belief that people were in the afterlife and came back is unscriptural.
Didn`t Paul have one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 07:19 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
Gosh this is such a warm thread. In fact, it's actually kind of hot!

Can someone please call the fire department or pass me a bucket of water?

Old 05-15-2012, 08:15 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,507 times
NDEs are unbiblical. The Bible speaks of resurrection, not an immortal soul.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:55 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
NDEs are unbiblical. The Bible speaks of resurrection, not an immortal soul.
Here's what I'm trying to stress with all this:

Saying they are unbiblical does not explain the phenomenon. I mean it's like the prosperity preachers who preach, "God doesn't want you to be poor. That's unbiblical. He wants you to be rich." But at the end of the day everybody is still poor. It's only the prosperity preachers who are rich.

Same thing. Some will say NDE's are unbiblical but that still leaves millions of authentic NDE's that have been rigorously subjected to the closest scrutiny by dye-in-the-wool atheist physicians and scientists who come away saying, "We cannot explain what is happening here, but something metaphysical is definitely happening." So, again, how do we explain millions of people, mostly non-Christian, who tell essentially the same story of witnessing doctors working on them; telling details of what went on after they clinically flat-lined that they could not possibly have known or witnessed. Then meeting a God who welcomes them into His presence (The Light) with love and acceptance? Again, all these people from different times and places could not possibly have gotten together and agreed among themselves to tell the same story. I'm all ears if someone has a rational explanation for all this.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:18 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
I'm sorry, and how do you know that only 1% of humanity is truly saved!???
Yeah, because I was told it was 7%. Something's not right here!

Old 05-15-2012, 11:32 PM

I am fascinated by near death experiences and have read as many books as I have been able to find in the library on the subject. What is really interesting to me is how many have in common the "life review" experience. It seems you get to experience your life all over again, but this time, you feel whatever you said or did from the perspective of how you made other people feel. This would indeed be hell, wouldn't it? I think of this often and try to monitor my words & actions by so that when I have this experience myself, upon my death, my hell won't be so bad.

I don't always succeed though and I am sure I will have much to cringe for - every thoughtless remark, every time I was impatient and lashed out with my words, every time my negativity took the joy out of what someone had to show me, every time it was obvious I wasn't really listening. That's hell folks. That right there. It will seem like eternal fire, won't it? I'll be refined I bet, by the time I've gone through it.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So, again, how do we explain millions of people, mostly non-Christian, who tell essentially the same story of witnessing doctors working on them; telling details of what went on after they clinically flat-lined that they could not possibly have known or witnessed. Then meeting a God who welcomes them into His presence (The Light) with love and acceptance? Again, all these people from different times and places could not possibly have gotten together and agreed among themselves to tell the same story. I'm all ears if someone has a rational explanation for all this.
Possibly because what they describe is what really happens. And God is God and Light and love and acceptance to the whole world, not just Christians.

Either that or it is just a chemical reaction in the dying brain.

But, on the other hand, I think that even if such things were perfectly explained by chemical reaction studies, I would STILL think it is judgement of ourselves before God, just like I accept Evolution as valid science and the underpinnings for all modern biology and our understanding of genes and DNA, and I STILL think God created the Earth, because I'm just Christian like that.

Last edited by SmalltownKSgirl; 05-16-2012 at 12:18 AM..

Old 05-16-2012, 12:02 AM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I've been reading quite a few accounts of near death experiences. Most, of course, come from "non-Christians", as only about 1% of all humanity is "truly saved" and worthy of going to heaven. The rest of humanity, poor souls will suffer for all eternity in the fires of hell (according to Fundamentalists, that is) But what is interesting is that 99% of all the non-Christians that relate accounts that pass muster with the scientific community that researches these kinds of things report experiences that are unimaginably beautiful and peaceful. I know the stock answer from Fundamentalists is "Well, satan can appear as an angel of light". I suppose the logic is that satan is powerful enough to capture these people's souls at the point of death and usher them into another realm that appears to be heaven, but is in reality someplace where he can work his deception on them. Pretty thin logic, is all that comes to my mind when I hear such nonsense.

Oddly enough, most of the hellish experiences reported come from Christian Fundamentalists. Now why is that, I wonder.

Not just Christians believe in Hell! Here's some evidence of NDEs which took folks to hell. One physician that was on radio a couple of years ago stated that apparently Hell is such a horrid place that some folks come back from their NDEs and have chosen to not remember them, and yet others vividly have. (The page with the videos below is full of testimonies of Hell.)

My favorite NDE is the most recent one that became famous, thanks to the book "Heaven's For Real."

Medical Doctor has NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE - to HELL and BACK - YouTube

A woman went to hell after a suicide - Testimony NDE - YouTube

A former atheist went to hell...what he saw ! - YouTube

Old 05-16-2012, 12:04 AM

35 posts, read 45,671 times
It is hard to believe what you do not and have not seen but does that mean that it doesn't exist?

Take for instance the organs in your body like your heart. You do not see it at work every second but you believe you have a heart that is working to keep you alive daily. It is the same with the after-life and NDEs. I don't have to experience one to believe it is real. As it is recorded, there must be a purpose for which the people survived to tell about it...to inform all who care.

So let's not blatantly debunk them. I haven't seen a ghost before but I believe in the Holy Ghost. I've read about him and seen the manifestation of his presence.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:22 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,884,530 times
Here's a NDE account that is truly fascinating. The guy was an atheist before his NDE, and now he's a Christian evangelist:

Ian McCormack - NDE - former atheist - near death experience - YouTube

text only version: Ian McCormack - near-death experiences
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity