Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:44 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Advertisements

I've been reading quite a few accounts of near death experiences. Most, of course, come from "non-Christians", as only about 1% of all humanity is "truly saved" and worthy of going to heaven. The rest of humanity, poor souls will suffer for all eternity in the fires of hell (according to Fundamentalists, that is) But what is interesting is that 99% of all the non-Christians that relate accounts that pass muster with the scientific community that researches these kinds of things report experiences that are unimaginably beautiful and peaceful. I know the stock answer from Fundamentalists is "Well, satan can appear as an angel of light". I suppose the logic is that satan is powerful enough to capture these people's souls at the point of death and usher them into another realm that appears to be heaven, but is in reality someplace where he can work his deception on them. Pretty thin logic, is all that comes to my mind when I hear such nonsense.

Oddly enough, most of the hellish experiences reported come from Christian Fundamentalists. Now why is that, I wonder.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 05-14-2012 at 11:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 PM

376 posts, read 419,623 times
The vast majority is very positive.
Especially the nasty ones are for sale as books, lectures and DVDs

http://www.near-death.com/index.html

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/research14.html

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/origen021.html

NDERF Home Page

NDE article in The Lancet: http://www.ini.uzh.ch/~kiper/Van_Lommel.pdf

Old 05-15-2012, 02:31 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

Oddly enough, most of the hellish experiences reported come from Christian Fundamentalists. Now why is that, I wonder.
I don't find that odd. Maybe fundamentalists are going to a type of hell when they die. I don't think everyone goes straight to heaven. Some people need further suffering because their hearts are hardened. People assume that Universalist Christians believe that all are going straight to heaven. I am not one who believes that. But I do think all WILL be saved in the ages to come.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:55 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
Quote:
I've been reading quite a few accounts of near death experiences. Most, of course, come from "non-Christians", as only about 1% of all humanity is "truly saved" and worthy of going to heaven. The rest of humanity, poor souls will suffer for all eternity in the fires of hell (according to Fundamentalists, that is) But what is interesting is that 99% of all the non-Christians that relate accounts that pass muster with the scientific community that researches these kinds of things report experiences that are unimaginably beautiful and peaceful. I know the stock answer from Fundamentalists is "Well, satan can appear as an angel of light". I suppose the logic is that satan is powerful enough to capture these people's souls at the point of death and usher them into another realm that appears to be heaven, but is in reality someplace where he can work his deception on them. Pretty thin logic, is all that comes to my mind when I hear such nonsense.

Hell is Real - 21 of 29 - Shocking Proof - Watch the Series - YouTube

Good series to watch. Testimonies from former non Christians.

Sure they became Christians, but they've been to Hell and back.

Only a fool would not.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:06 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,186 times
Quote:
I've been reading quite a few accounts of near death experiences. Most, of course, come from "non-Christians", as only about 1% of all humanity is "truly saved" and worthy of going to heaven. The rest of humanity, poor souls will suffer for all eternity in the fires of hell (according to Fundamentalists, that is)
I'm sorry, and how do you know that only 1% of humanity is truly saved!??? Do you have direct access to the over 7 billion human souls currently on the earth!? You realize that over 2 billion people in the world claim to be Christians right? Now, I realize that it's one thing to say you are a Christian, and another to be truly born-again, but I find it hard to believe that only 1 out of every 30 of those people claiming to be Christians have accepted Christ as their personal savior.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:36 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post

Hell is Real - 21 of 29 - Shocking Proof - Watch the Series - YouTube

Good series to watch. Testimonies from former non Christians.

Sure they became Christians, but they've been to Hell and back.

Only a fool would not.
Great testamony from a former atheist. I have seen it before and glad you posted it. Thank you.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
I'm sorry, and how do you know that only 1% of humanity is truly saved!??? Do you have direct access to the over 7 billion human souls currently on the earth!? You realize that over 2 billion people in the world claim to be Christians right? Now, I realize that it's one thing to say you are a Christian, and another to be truly born-again, but I find it hard to believe that only 1 out of every 30 of those people claiming to be Christians have accepted Christ as their personal savior.
Well, you said the keyword, Buckeye---"claim"---which is not the same as actually being and living as Christ wants us to. Remember Jesus said, "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord' shall enter the kingdom of heaven." So merely professing to be Christian means absolutely nothing. Look around you in a shopping mall on a busy day sometime. Statistically, I am saying that based on how I see people behaving in there I am being very generous with allotting 1%.

Also, my reference to humanity is not only to people living today, but to the roughly 100 billion people who have inhabited this planet since Adam and Eve. Surely you don't think a larger percentage of them even heard of Jesus Christ or Yahweh, much less followed the Law, do you?

Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
The vast majority is very positive.
Especially the nasty ones are for sale as books, lectures and DVDs

http://www.near-death.com/index.html

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/research14.html

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/origen021.html

NDERF Home Page

NDE article in The Lancet: http://www.ini.uzh.ch/~kiper/Van_Lommel.pdf
Thank you much for those links, Whitewings. I'm going to check them out today. I've watched some of Pim van Lommel's videos on YouTube. He's a little too cerebral for me, but he has some interesting ideas.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:43 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,152 times
I do not believe in Near Death Experiences, I think the belief that people were in the afterlife and came back is unscriptural.

NDE's are not suitable to support or to reject biblical doctrines

Old 05-15-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
I do not believe in Near Death Experiences, I think the belief that people were in the afterlife and came back is unscriptural.

NDE's are not suitable to support or to reject biblical doctrines
Nevertheless, sven, there are just too many of them to discount them rather offhandedly. I realize they fly in the face of what we've been taught from a biblical perspective. But since the Bible has been so corrupted and bas*ardized over the centuries it's likely that how we've been taught from it is 180 degrees from what the writers originally intended to teach us.

Many Christians will not read even one account for fear that it will upset their carefully---albeit fragile---constructed faith in Jesus. But these experiences must be addressed at some point because as more and more evidence mounts from millions of accounts that have been studied and verified by physicians that these people truly did "die", what has to be addressed is that their NDE's call into question the very foundations of what traditional religious leaders have been teaching the sheeple Christians all these centuries. To tell a Fundamentalist that millions of non-Christians shared the same peaceful, joyous experience of meeting God, feeling the overpowering effect of His love for them, having their life reviewed in a very non-judgmental manner and then sending them back with the message that "You are your brother's keeper and how you treat your fellow man will be the basis of how you are judged when your time comes"---well, this just terrifies the Fundamentalist Christian because they can start to feel their dogmatically-oriented carefully-constructed Christian belief system cracking into hundreds of pieces. Again, how would you explain these NDE's when there is absolutely no possibility that millions of people around the world over the last 100 years got together and colluded to make up nearly identical experiences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity