Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 01:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times

Advertisements

If you look at the miracles God does throughout the Bible, it seems his intent is partially to make sure that people know that what has just happened cannot be explained away as a "natural phenomena". In the case of the flood, the death of all people except Noah and his family could have been mistaken for a plague. A flood that covers everything makes it clear it was NOT natural.
Same with Jesus raising the dead and healing blind and crippled people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 02:44 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Two possible reasons I think of.

Gen. 6:3 - Then the LORD said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years."

Before the flood, people lived several hundreds of years. After the flood, life decresed to aroound 120 years. Something changed atmosperically that allowed this decrease in life to take place.

Rom. 1:17b - "BUT THE RIGHTEOUS man SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."

Faith pleases God. Noah and his family had to exhibit faith in order to carry out God's task and save their lives. They were proven to be righteous and they lived by their faith.

If God simply wipes people away, there is no faith in that. Someone on earth had to have faith, and exhibit their faith. Otherwise no one survives.

Same for Christ - He is the One who followed all tenets of the law and never sinned. Therefore, He was not subject to spiritual death. The body died, but His Spirit lives - and all who has His Spirit in them lives also.
Ya know, I'll buy that as an explanation.

PS must be tough being God.......

Old 05-17-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Probably symbolic but what about the possibility that those that died in the flood were maybe neanderthal or ? and Noah and his seed were modern day human? But I doubt it's that...I bellieve they found neanderthal genes in certain gene pools.

Or, maybe the flood was the mediterranean area only? Just thinkin' out loud.
The comparative mythology folks, as represented by my old college perfessor, might have said this is a tradition from the Tigress-Euphrates parts, and entered into the Jewish thinking during the Babylonian captivity period.

Others might assert that in pre biblical times human settlement was of necessity near riverine locations so the universality of those flood traditions is logical.

I gotta say, my own education could easily push me into the atheist camp. Still holding to the message of Jesus. But I gotta say, those whose only tool is chapter and verse do little to convince me.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
No, that is incorrect.

God's judging is just and judgment is so that they may honor the Son.

Eternal torment is not correct. Age-during chastening is only for the nations that mistreated Christ's brethren and those nations are chastened only during the millennium.

Christ died for all those who lost their lives in the flood. God will resurrect them, set them straight as to their lives and if they are not in the book of life go back into the second death until the end of the ages. Then they will be saved as the end of the ages.
What say Mike555 and leewhatevernumber?

Old 05-17-2012, 03:12 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
I heard a preacher recently say that Noah and his family were the only pure blooded humans left, after the fallen angels had corrupted the species in Gen 6.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:23 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I heard a preacher recently say that Noah and his family were the only pure blooded humans left, after the fallen angels had corrupted the species in Gen 6.
It's unfortunate that the comedy channel doesn't have disclosure messages

Old 05-17-2012, 03:29 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
I'm surprised that you stopped with Noah with your accusations, don't you realize that God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.

At least Adam & Eve used fig leaves ....

Old 05-17-2012, 03:36 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
If Noah and the flood were fictional then Christ's return will be based on fiction too:

Matthew 24:36-39 Now, concerning that day and hour no one is aware, neither the messengers of
the heavens, nor the Son; except the Father only." (37) For even as the days of Noah, thus shall
be the presence of the Son of Mankind." (38) For as they were in those days before the deluge,
masticating and drinking and marrying and taking in marriage until the day on which Noah entered
into the ark, (39) and did not know till the deluge came and takes them all away, thus shall be the
presence of the Son of Mankind."
RESPONSE:

Now you understand!

Incidentally, Jesus didn't return during his generation either.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:09 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
If Noah and the flood were fictional then Christ's return will be based on fiction too:

Matthew 24:36-39 Now, concerning that day and hour no one is aware, neither the messengers of
the heavens, nor the Son; except the Father only." (37) For even as the days of Noah, thus shall
be the presence of the Son of Mankind." (38) For as they were in those days before the deluge,
masticating and drinking and marrying and taking in marriage until the day on which Noah entered
into the ark, (39) and did not know till the deluge came and takes them all away, thus shall be the
presence of the Son of Mankind."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Now you understand!

Incidentally, Jesus didn't return during his generation either.
Hi AW, thanks for your thoughts. Even though we don't agree I still think your thoughts are important.

Did He say He would or that He MAY? or SHOULD? And did not He say He really didn't know when, not He nor the angels but only God knew?

Peace bro.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:10 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What do you think those fig leaves were covering ?
I think they covered the parts they were embarrassed for God to see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity