Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 11:59 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times

Advertisements

Why are people offended when I put my Christmas lights up the day after Halloween?

I love Christmas
I love celebrating Jesus' birth

Why are people offended by that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 12:39 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Probably one of several reasons:

1) Whether you realize it or not, you are contributing to the grotesque commercialization of what should be a religious holiday. Just remember that the next time you say, "Jesus is the reason for the season."

2) You may love Christmas. So does almost everyone else. But for most of us, Christmas also is one of the most stressful times of the year with presents to buy, parties to plan, relatives to visit, schedules to coordinate, Christmas concerts, semester exams for the kiddos, and about five zillion other things to worry about. As a result, most of Christendom skids into Christmas Eve just a wee bit exhausted from crossing things off the Naughty and Nice list at a furious rate. Now, thanks to you, we have to think about all that stuff a good month earlier than absolutely necessary. So when you string up enough lights on your roof to confuse the pilot of an AirItalia flight making its initial approach, you've just handed us several thousand watts of reminders that sh*t's about to get real. Thanks a bunch.

3) In large swaths of the Christian church, notably the liturgical branches such as the Catholics, Lutherans, and Anglicans, Christmas does not begin until December 25th. You know that carol, The Twelve Days Of Christmas? That is referring to the stretch between Christmas and Epiphany on January 6th. In the meantime, Advent, the weeks leading up to Christmas is supposed to be a time of sober reflection. You might not realize this, but Advent used to be known as a "Little Lent" in church practice. And, quite frankly, the observance of the Advent calendar and Advent candles in the home is a nice counterpoint to all the gratuitous nonsense about flying reindeer. It brings the purpose of Christmas into sharp focus in ways that twinkling lights and tinsel and balsam firs just cannot. So, theologically speaking, vomiting all that stuff from your attic out onto the front lawn is tantamount to jumping ahead to dessert before you've eaten your vegetables. As a result, it's like you're celebrating Easter in the middle of February.

4) If you live in the United States, you've just obliterated Thanksgiving, which is an awfully fantastic holiday in and of itself. Figuratively, you've just mowed down a picturesque, historic neighborhood in order to put up a Wal-Mart Supercenter. Those of us who are sane regard Thanksgiving as that nice 4-to-5-day breathing spell before the mayhem of the Christmas season kicks in our front door with a list of demands as long as our arms. At Thanksgiving, there are no presents to buy. Just one bodacious feast that -- if everyone does their bit -- doesn't stress anyone out at all. Then it's all about hanging out with people you love. But, nooooooo, your decorations in the front yard are like the Grim Reaper, the reminder that we have to start wondering what present to buy Aunt Sally. In fact, I'll go one further. Black Friday is just about the worst thing ever, the very opposite of the season's meaning writ large. All because people have fetishized Christmas into this month-long bacchanal that pretends to be about Christ's birth, but is really about worshipping avarice.

I mean, if you want all that stuff plastered to your house for a full two months each year, knock yourself out and shell out all that extra money to the power company. But don't make us feel as if there's something wrong with us for finding it a bit weird.

Last edited by cpg35223; 10-05-2015 at 01:23 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 12:52 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
How do you know they are offended? Do they say something to you?

Also the celebration with lights are a pagan tradition, nothing to do with Christianity, like the Easter Bunny.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:53 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
How do you know they are offended? Do they say something to you?
Likely not. Unless the poster lives in a neighborhood filled with garrulous curmudgeons.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:58 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,324 times
Not offended, just annoyed that your example might lead to pressure upon me to hurry up and get to work with it.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Why are people offended when I put my Christmas lights up the day after Halloween?

I love Christmas

Are people telling you they are offended? That's your clue to ask them why.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:09 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
cpg35223, great post, too long to quote!

I agree with all of it, especially the part about Thanksgiving.

Even as a kid, Thanksgiving was my favorite holiday. Yes, even though it didn't come with swag. Because Christmas was always a lot more fraught at my house.

And I'd add my own note, that while I'm not exactly offended by businesses and individuals getting the tinsel out before they've composted the pumpkin, I do tend to think it's obnoxious and makes me less inclined to have favorable feelings toward them.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:17 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times
Quote:

I love Christmas

Honestly, its excessive. Atleast put them up on black Friday like it was done for so many years up until around 2001.

As for "I love celebrating Jesus' birth", thats a whole different topic in itself, as he wasnt born Dec 25th or told his followers to put up lights and a tree in the middle of their homes in honor of him.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:28 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:

I love Christmas

Great, I love the Christmas time of year also. As an atheist, I am reminded of the traditional rebirth of the earth, as the Sun comes out of the winter solstice, after seemingly not doing anything for 3 days, and then slowly the days lengthen again.

It's a great time of the year, that rebirth. Putting up a tree is an ancient tradition my Germanic ancestors practiced before Christianity was invented by Paul. Isn't it wonderful to have a representation of life in your dwelling?

But why would you put up lights in the middle of October? The Thanksgiving long weekend is this coming week, and putting up a tree before Halloween is just weird.

BTW, you may want to consider:

Last edited by cupper3; 10-05-2015 at 01:43 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 01:31 PM

1,273 posts, read 991,213 times
Because it's tacky and you haven't even done Thanksgiving yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity