U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 10:05 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,183,171 times

Advertisements

Have you ever sensed something was going to happen before it happened? Have you ever felt God preparing you for something and yet you didn't know what it was of course until it happened? My wife and I have experienced this many times during the past ten years. Almost everytime without fail that we'd visit her hometown, God would get ahold of us and things would begin to change in our lives (for the better). The last time we were there was right before I lost my job and we went on welfare for a few months...but then my wife got an amazing job that took us across the country and we have a wonderful life here in Minnesota!

We haven't been back to her hometown in quite a few years due to schedules and finances...but our hearts miss it so very much. The reason i'm bringing this entire thread up is because tonight as I was folding laundry my wife began telling me she felt something was going to change in our lives. That something big was right on the horizon for us. I about fell over because I've been having the same gut feeling for quite awhile now. But of course I've sluffed it off to my emotions or just so much going on in our lives. However I quickly changed my mind when she said this tonight.

Do you believe God prepares us for life events and that we have some sort of knowledge of it? I mean like you have a feeling that something is changing or going to happen but you honestly cannot tell what it is? The more I write this OP the more I believe that God has something amazing for us but I just don't know what it is at this moment.

Well I think the best thing to do is for me to get off the computer and go pray with my wife.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 10:39 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,853,944 times
I think we have an inkling about things that are about to change in our lives.But at the same time God is in control at all times. He will provide us with our needs .We just need to go before Him in prayer and put our trust in Him and He will deliver.He provides us in a surreptitious manner,when we think He will provide us what we want when we want it ,He will provide when it is most beneficial for us. It is all about His timing.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:06 AM

436 posts, read 1,096,279 times
Well i have never really had the gut feeling, but strange things have happened . like the one time before my mum died. my boss did an unusual thing, he gave me leave without me asking for it. then i spent the 1st week at home with my mum going through our old stuf, stuff from my great grand parents days, all the way to my mum stuff, and so we went down memory lane. then, for the first time in ourlives, i talked to her of taking overy the old property and what changes i wanted to make, you see our place has in my family for many many generations. btw my mum was not even 50yrs. and all the way till the end we spent great deal of time together, i went no where but just chat with till the early hours of morning. on the 2nd week she got very sick and died by the end of the week, on the last day of my leave. talk about providence.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:22 AM

2,740 posts, read 8,204,318 times
I think God does sometimes give us a sense of something about to happen, a fore-knowledge. 1 Cor 12:8 mentions the word of knowledge as being one of the gifts of the Spirit. From what I have been able to learn, it is a very small fragment of God's knowledge...given to us to help us out of certain bad situations, help us make a decision, help us be healed, prepare us for a change in our lives, etc. That is just one of the ways the Holy Spirit leads us.
I think God communicates in our spirit...in our inner man...then that information slowly "seeps out" to become an awareness in our mind. We won't know everything about it, but we can get a "gut feeling" that something is "up". My wife is more in tune with this than I am. For example, sometimes she gets a "feeling" that something is not quite right with a person....and sure enough, later on we find out that the person is having a very rough time, sick, or something going on.
Yeah...there's something to it. I'd be listen'en to your wife...

Bud

Old 09-23-2007, 12:26 PM

6,328 posts, read 5,476,985 times
Default Ecclesiastes

Premonitions into the future.

Ecclesiastes..........I love this book... one of my favorites! It says it all.

Ecc 9:11
Again, I observed this on the earth: the race is not always won by the swiftest, the battle is not always won by the strongest; prosperity does not always belong to those who are the wisest, wealth does not always belong to those who are the most discerning, nor does success always come to those with the most knowledge – for time and chance may overcome them all.

Luck= opportunity+preparaton, in other words, be prepared for the opportunity that God has for all of us.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:28 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,743,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Have you ever sensed something was going to happen before it happened? Have you ever felt God preparing you for something and yet you didn't know what it was of course until it happened? My wife and I have experienced this many times during the past ten years. Almost everytime without fail that we'd visit her hometown, God would get ahold of us and things would begin to change in our lives (for the better). The last time we were there was right before I lost my job and we went on welfare for a few months...but then my wife got an amazing job that took us across the country and we have a wonderful life here in Minnesota!

We haven't been back to her hometown in quite a few years due to schedules and finances...but our hearts miss it so very much. The reason i'm bringing this entire thread up is because tonight as I was folding laundry my wife began telling me she felt something was going to change in our lives. That something big was right on the horizon for us. I about fell over because I've been having the same gut feeling for quite awhile now. But of course I've sluffed it off to my emotions or just so much going on in our lives. However I quickly changed my mind when she said this tonight.

Do you believe God prepares us for life events and that we have some sort of knowledge of it? I mean like you have a feeling that something is changing or going to happen but you honestly cannot tell what it is? The more I write this OP the more I believe that God has something amazing for us but I just don't know what it is at this moment.

Well I think the best thing to do is for me to get off the computer and go pray with my wife.
Budkin was really on target, with this. As for myself, I understand that the Holy Spirit leads and guides me in every facet of life. (paraphrasing) Proverbs 3:5,6. "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding and He shall direct our path." In my experiences the more I yield on a daily and hourly basis to the Lord, by reading His word, praying or meditating on His words, I build a intimate relationship with the Holy Spirit and he helps me out; even with the most minute details. Something as simple as a piece of glass on the floor a nail in the street. He impress upon my heart through what some would call a "gut feeling", and show me the way. sometimes He'll show me through a dream or a odd feeling. but these events
leave me with no "doubts' in my mind that it's the Lord guiding me. He's abba pater to us and His desire is not to see us stumble or fall, but to have as it was promised in Joshua 1: (entirety). this is how I can best explain it, and you're wise in going into prayer about a situation, especially since the thief likes to emulate and possibly will try to confuse or distort what the Holy Spirit may be trying to speak to you. But this is not too successful, when we are in continual fellowship and worship with Our Father

Old 09-24-2007, 11:30 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,273,585 times
I know what you mean! I had this feeling right before the trip on which I met my future husband. My husband and I are feeling this right now about our lives as well. Stay in prayer. I know that you already know this, but I thought I'd put this verse on here as an encouragement.

Romans 8:28 (NIV)
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:14 PM

3,544 posts, read 6,284,358 times
I had a premonition that I was going to remember a thing I forget about that happened in the past

Old 09-24-2007, 10:16 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,256,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I had a premonition that I was going to remember a thing I forget about that happened in the past
Oh that's how I got through college....those dang mornings after the nights before.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:16 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,146,447 times
LOL, I am going thru this now, have been for a short while. Usually my feelings are more concrete and I can grasp hold of them with a bit of knowledge of what I am supposed to do but this time, it is just out of my reach, only snatches of feelings hit me here and there. I know it is there, I'm just not ready for what God has in store for me at this time. But whatever it is, I will embrace it and welcome it for it comes from my God, my Lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity