U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2007, 02:05 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,795,989 times

Advertisements

Write what you believe it means for us to date,in the 21st century,to love God and to love our neighbor.How can we show this love in a practical way? In what ways might we be deceiving ourselves about our so-called "love" for God and our neighbors? What changes might we need to make in our lives that will allow us to better follow these commandments?

Last edited by noland123; 09-24-2007 at 02:17 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 02:54 PM

392 posts, read 320,687 times
Default Others centered

Biblically speaking, I think one way is to always consider (or at least attempt to consider) others better than ourselves. I love the Christian term, "love on..." Love on someone whenever necessary only b/c I have their best interest at heart. I also love the Christian term, "others centered". It's the opposite of self centered.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:36 AM

5,841 posts, read 5,251,732 times
Default a work in progress...

Quote:
noland123 said;Write what you believe it means for us to date,in the 21st century,to love God and to love our neighbor. How can we show this love in a practical way?
Love in action is an assemblence of grace. Grace = getting what we don't deserve. When establishing our relationship(s) , the premise of love exists in two venues, giving and receiving. Love takes on many forms... and most of us are somewhat familiar with the Greek variations on the word love. Giving love is greater when we give in the right order... that is :God-spouse-(family)-neighbor-self... and all are necessary for love to be edifying and correct. All are Biblical, all are good. Yes.... we must love ourselves.
(*FAMILY = children, and includes adopted or step) We need only honor our parents and extended family, and this too is a form of love.
Love does not diminish as it passes through each of us... in fact, love is enhanced. That is the nature of grace... amazing grace! (might make a good song title)

So how does my love manifest itself for God? My love for God is enhanced when filtered through my wife, children and neighbors. See how that works for me? I use others to show my love for the Lord. I'm not always very good at it... but I understand that "motion produces emotion".

I need to add one more idea. Our sorrow, our mourning, our valley's, is where our hearts grow. We do not develop our hearts on tops of the mountains. Our tears baptize our hearts. Tears are.......rain for the soul.

Quote:
In what ways might we be deceiving ourselves about our so-called "love" for God and our neighbors?
If pride is produced or we feel "right" , justified ... then that ain't love! If we feel like we need to do more... and we are just so inadequate... were moving in the right direction, because in our weakness, we will employ God. Our dependency is light revealing self.

Quote:
What changes might we need to make in our lives that will allow us to better follow these commandments?
I'm not sure. For me... it's about being more hospitable, inviting more people into my home. I regard my home as sanctuary... however I do know, that the race is never won at the beginning... but rather, it's how you finish.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:17 PM

392 posts, read 320,687 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Our sorrow, our mourning, our valley's, is where our hearts grow. We do not develop our hearts on tops of the mountains. Our tears baptize our hearts. Tears are.......rain for the soul.
Dave,

This is tender, also very poetic. Where did you find this?

Old 09-25-2007, 04:47 PM

5,841 posts, read 5,251,732 times
from my life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity