Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 02:46 PM

584 posts, read 597,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
You are presenting a false dichotomy here.
And you are off-topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 03:34 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker Soule View Post
And you are off-topic.
What the heck? I was directly responding to that person's post - an issue I didn't raise. Why single me out, mr. thread enforcer?

And why not just be explicit as to your purposes in starting this thread anyway?

Is it to discount Pauline authorship? Is it to throw out the NT canon? Is it to re-invent Christianity as something totally removed from the biblical text?

Old 07-10-2012, 04:16 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
All Scripture is inspired by God! -- Where is the confusion? Does it really matter whether Paul, John, Daniel, Moses or ??? held the pen. It always seems like these type dicussions (... 'BUT' ... are an attempt to justify "loophole theology" (eg; "Yes, scripture is inspired by God and is profitable ... etc." ..... "BUT!").

The problem with picking and choosing which scripture one will believe is God's truth ... and which is not, ... is that it leaves one with no basis for declaring either true! The only "But" that Christians should concern themselves with in scripture is the "BUT, GOD ..... "!

Old 07-10-2012, 04:44 PM

460 posts, read 981,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
All Scripture is inspired by God! -- Where is the confusion? Does it really matter whether Paul, John, Daniel, Moses or ??? held the pen. It always seems like these type dicussions (... 'BUT' ... are an attempt to justify "loophole theology" (eg; "Yes, scripture is inspired by God and is profitable ... etc." ..... "BUT!").

The problem with picking and choosing which scripture one will believe is God's truth ... and which is not, ... is that it leaves one with no basis for declaring either true! The only "But" that Christians should concern themselves with in scripture is the "BUT, GOD ..... "!
An assumption of inerrancy is that the authors were somewhat perfect. The church fathers picked what they wanted to be true and what to leave out. Canonization was a very human process. Nothing detracts from faith like inerrancy. Faith crumbles once inerrancy is removed.

Father Matthew:
Actually, for Christians, only Christ is perfect, for He is the Incarnation of God. The Bible is not the Incarnation. It is a human/political/literary library that points to the Gospel and Christ.

Father Matthew Presents Biblical Inerrancy - YouTube

Old 07-10-2012, 05:37 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
An assumption of inerrancy is that the authors were somewhat perfect. The church fathers picked what they wanted to be true and what to leave out. Canonization was a very human process. Nothing detracts from faith like inerrancy. Faith crumbles once inerrancy is removed.

Father Matthew:
Actually, for Christians, only Christ is perfect, for He is the Incarnation of God. The Bible is not the Incarnation. It is a human/political/literary library that points to the Gospel and Christ.

There are many stories throughout scripture where "people pretty much did what they wanted" and yet, God's will and plan were accomplished.

I disagree with your assessment of the Bible ... So did Jesus, who repeatedly spoke from and about scripture -- The world is a human/political/literary library that points anyplace but, the Gospel of Christ and the Word of God.

The Bible, on the other hand, provides overwhelming, incontrovertable support for it's inspiration from beginning to end (For starters, no other 'human library' is filled with thousands of accurately fulfilled prophecies; Secondly, there is more literary evidence for the Bible ... than any other book or literary work known to mankind' ... Also, don't forget the continuing life-changing power of God's Word in human lives; ... and what about the absolute convergence of thought over thousands of years ... multiple cultures and hundreds of authors.

Don't be so quick to sell God's ability to inspire His Word and also KEEP it inspired , in spite of man's attempts to destroy it!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:23 PM

584 posts, read 597,248 times
Quote:
And why not just be explicit as to your purposes in starting this thread anyway?
I am trying to determine the rational for quoting 2 Timothy as evidence.

Quote:
Is it to discount Pauline authorship?
No, I doubt that Paul was the author but that interests me only to the extent that it serves to date the text.

Quote:
Is it to throw out the NT canon?
No, it's your canon, not mine. Include what you wish, and with my blessings.

Quote:
Is it to re-invent Christianity as something totally removed from the biblical text?
No, why would I wish to reinvent another person's invention?

Old 07-10-2012, 10:19 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,112 times
Quote:
I am trying to determine the rational (sic) for quoting 2 Timothy as evidence.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "evidence". Evidence of what?
It's not the definitive piece of evidence (depending on what we're talking about). It doesn't stand alone by itself. It's a building block. It tells us that IF something is scripture THEN it is God-breathed. It tells us what we're supposed to do with scripture and how we should treat it. I'm confused as to what you're trying to do with it.

If you're trying to say that 2 Timothy 3:16 by itself does not establish the NT canon, then you're knocking down a straw man.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
  • Who wrote it and when?
    • A: Paul. Written from prison in Rome while expecting to be executed for his preaching
  • Who was the audience?
    • verse 2 ... "To Timothy"
  • What is the body of work referred to as 'scripture'?
    • OT and the Apostles writings (NT)
And remember Timothy was a young man and possibly born after the death of Christ. You figure Paul didn't start his ministry until 14 years after his converstion, take in the time between Christ death and Pauls conversion and the year after he started his ministry. If I recollect Timothy was a disciple in the later days of Pauls life. Just a thought.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Primary or only? Furthermore:
So Pauline authorship is a belief.

But did you not just say that all scripture is inspired by God when we define 'scripture' as that body of work which is God-inspired? If so, then gMat (for example) becomes God-indpired not by virtue of any claim made in 2 Timothy, but by virtue of a much later decision (claim) to include it as part of Christian Canon.
Canon was discovered not created.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post

Father Matthew:

No Canonization is a Holy Spirit process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity