Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 08:02 AM

584 posts, read 597,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
And remember Timothy was a young man and possibly born after the death of Christ. You figure Paul didn't start his ministry until 14 years after his converstion, take in the time between Christ death and Pauls conversion and the year after he started his ministry. If I recollect Timothy was a disciple in the later days of Pauls life. Just a thought.
That's actually a rather interesting point. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 09:44 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker Soule View Post
First, ...where 2 Timothy 3:16 is frequently quoted. My questions are: Who wrote it and when? Who was the audience? What is the body of work referred to as 'scripture'?
(2Tim. 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness). If you’re asking who wrote 2 Timothy, Paul did! He wrote 2Timothy when he was in Rome. And his “audience” was ANY who’ll listen. But mostly the congregations of Christians?, who serve the God of Israel, (Jehovah). This scripture doesn’t refer to “the works”. but if you’re referring to Verse 17 , which says…“That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works“. it’s referring to the works which Jesus taught his Apostles to do,...

(Matt.10:5-15,These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give. And into whatsoever city or town ye shall enter, enquire who in it is worthy; and there abide till ye go thence. And when ye come into an house, salute it. And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you. And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment, than for that city). They went door to door teaching what Jesus taught. peace

Old 07-11-2012, 10:05 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Primary or only? Furthermore:

On the basis of their language, content, and other factors, the Pastoral Epistles are today widely regarded as not having been written by the Apostle Paul, but after his death. (Although the Second Epistle to Timothy is sometimes thought to be more likely than the other two to have been written by Paul.) Critics examining the texts fail to find their vocabulary and literary style similar to Paul's unquestionably authentic letters, fail to fit the life situation of Paul in the epistles into Paul's reconstructed biography, and identify principles of the emerged Christian church rather than those of the apostolic generation.

So Pauline authorship is a belief.

But did you not just say that all scripture is inspired by God when we define 'scripture' as that body of work which is God-inspired? If so, then gMat (for example) becomes God-indpired not by virtue of any claim made in 2 Timothy, but by virtue of a much later decision (claim) to include it as part of Christian Canon.
While I appreciate the quotation you've provided, I feel that school of textual criticism to be on thin ice. For while they rightly show that different letters are authored in different styles, they fail to take into account that a writer may use different styles for different audiences. After all, you write to a trusted friend in a different way than you would write a presentation to large audience wouldn't you? Your syntax, word choice, and construction would be completely different. So I think it entirely plausible that Paul would write to Timothy in a completely different way than he would write to the Corinthians.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 AM

460 posts, read 982,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
There are many stories throughout scripture where "people pretty much did what they wanted" and yet, God's will and plan were accomplished.

I disagree with your assessment of the Bible ... So did Jesus, who repeatedly spoke from and about scripture -- The world is a human/political/literary library that points anyplace but, the Gospel of Christ and the Word of God.

The Bible, on the other hand, provides overwhelming, incontrovertable support for it's inspiration from beginning to end (For starters, no other 'human library' is filled with thousands of accurately fulfilled prophecies; Secondly, there is more literary evidence for the Bible ... than any other book or literary work known to mankind' ... Also, don't forget the continuing life-changing power of God's Word in human lives; ... and what about the absolute convergence of thought over thousands of years ... multiple cultures and hundreds of authors.

Don't be so quick to sell God's ability to inspire His Word and also KEEP it inspired , in spite of man's attempts to destroy it!

What did you think of the video and its presentation of the Episcopalian tradition?

Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
What did you think of the video and its presentation of the Episcopalian tradition?
I guess I didn't take it that seriously -- It seems more like a worldview of the Bible and God that says, "IMO you can't trust the Bible, but, I don't really have anything better to offer." .... Not sure what you mean that this is a presentation of the 'Episcopalian tradition?' (Jesus Himself said the Word that I have spoken will judge you in the last day" - How else are we supposed to know what that Word is/was unless we trust the Bible for it??)

I'm simply seeking to love the Lord my God with all my heart, mind, soul and strength --- as repeatedly illustrated and taught throughout the Bible. But, then, I and have absolutely no problem with God's presentation of His inspired Word, the Bible. Of course, I've only been teaching and preaching the Bible in an expository manner for 30-years now. Maybe in another few years I'll become as enlightened as others who denigrate the Bible with such authority.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:32 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,162 times
Quote:
That's actually a rather interesting point. Thanks.
Worth looking into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity