Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:58 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,625,744 times

Advertisements

One of the things that I have been trying to understand on my spiritual journey is the idea of glorifiying God. I know to him belongs all glory and honor but as Christians what should we be activley doing to display God's glory and show him our honor? I try in every prayer to include my thankfulness for his blessing. Are there verses in the bible that deal with this topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 AM

8,186 posts, read 6,962,948 times
Love your neighbor as yourself.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:14 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,677,320 times
God is glorified when He sees one of His creation walking on the path of righteousness...obeying His commandments, and not sinning.

While you are obeying His commandments, you must REMEMBER - to keep His day holy...the fourth commandment...which commands us to honor Him on this day...the SEVENTH day of the week...which is from sundown Friday night until sundown Saturday night. If you keep them all, yet you do not keep this one, God considers that you have broken them all...you are considered a willfull sinner...as you transgress the law of God while knowing that you shouldn't.

Sin is nothing more than the transgression of any one of His Ten Commandments - 1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law....and if you love Him, you will keep His Commandments - 1 John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. Therefore you will glorify Him and make Him smile down upon you and bless you.

God Bless you,
Verna.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:35 PM

1,196 posts, read 757,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
One of the things that I have been trying to understand on my spiritual journey is the idea of glorifiying God. I know to him belongs all glory and honor but as Christians what should we be activley doing to display God's glory and show him our honor? I try in every prayer to include my thankfulness for his blessing. Are there verses in the bible that deal with this topic?

acknowledging the God of Israels name will glorify him, because it seperates him fom ALL other gods. also jesus made his FATHER'S NAME KNOWN, to the men his Father sent to him , (John 17:6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word). another way is putting him before anyone or anything. not following what the world does IF...it goes against Jehovah Gods words ,(1John 2:15,16 and James 4:4). we also Glorify the Father, Jehovah God, when we try to follow his son's true teachings. and understanding that it was THE GOD OF ISRAEL, be-it Jehovah or Yahweh, who sent a SON in our behave ,(John 3:16,17- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved), those are some of the ways. peace

Old 08-01-2012, 07:56 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,958,140 times
The best way to Glorify God is to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, believe in His word, trust Him, and then order your life accordingly.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:21 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,037,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Love your neighbor as yourself.

Micah 6:8 He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
God is glorified when He sees one of His creation walking on the path of righteousness...obeying His commandments, and not sinning.

While you are obeying His commandments, you must REMEMBER - to keep His day holy...the fourth commandment...which commands us to honor Him on this day...the SEVENTH day of the week...which is from sundown Friday night until sundown Saturday night. If you keep them all, yet you do not keep this one, God considers that you have broken them all...you are considered a willfull sinner...as you transgress the law of God while knowing that you shouldn't.
Which, according to you means those who do not observe the Saturday Sabbath, they shall be annihilated and this includes all those Sunday Worshiping Hell-fire believers that post on this board. What a fantastic plan!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:33 PM

45,755 posts, read 27,404,148 times
1 Cor. 10:31 - Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

This goes beyond simply following commandments.

God's glory involves knowing who God is and our relation to Him, which is very small in the whole scheme of things. It involves understanding that any blessing we get crosses God's desk first. It involves any trial with which we grow, we thank God for it. It involves using our spiritual gifts and talents to help the family of God and bring people to Christ - all for God's glory.

Matthew 5:13-16 - "You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men. "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
1 Cor. 10:31 - Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

This goes beyond simply following commandments.

God's glory involves knowing who God is and our relation to Him, which is very small in the whole scheme of things. It involves understanding that any blessing we get crosses God's desk first. It involves any trial with which we grow, we thank God for it. It involves using our spiritual gifts and talents to help the family of God and bring people to Christ - all for God's glory.

Matthew 5:13-16 - "You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men. "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

And the reason why the American churches are being trampled under foot today is because of their self-righteousness, greed, arrogance, etc... they have lost their saltiness and have become good for nothing but trampling. Anyone clinging to organized religious places will not receive this, however. They will cling to the status quo and go on hating gays and demanding their rights to carry guns, etc... and they'll wrap it all up in the American Flag.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:27 PM

45,755 posts, read 27,404,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
And the reason why the American churches are being trampled under foot today is because of their self-righteousness, greed, arrogance, etc... they have lost their saltiness and have become good for nothing but trampling. Anyone clinging to organized religious places will not receive this, however. They will cling to the status quo and go on hating gays and demanding their rights to carry guns, etc... and they'll wrap it all up in the American Flag.
American churches can also echo the talking points of the world, which also causes a loss of saltiness - which I highlighted for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity