Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 09:21 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,508 times

Advertisements

I have been looking around at all the Youtube videos about this "Great American" Solar Eclipse. There are any number of predictions on Youtube about what it portends, that is is an omen, or a sign in the heavens we should be watching. I believe it is a sign in the heavens. But I would not say I know what it points to.

My question: What is all this talk of proving the earth is flat??? How can people believe this? It's crazy talk to my ears. If you go to Youtube and look at the videos about the Solar Eclipse, there are numerous videos saying this Eclipse will prove the earth is flat. I have not listened to any of the videos on that.

Anyone reading have any thoughts on the importance of this event coming tomorrow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 09:27 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
I think anything rarely-seen is special.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:36 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
When people walk a crooked path, it's difficult for them to see something in a straight line.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:53 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times

Solar Eclipse Map: See How the Eclipse Will Look Near You | Time.com

Old 08-20-2017, 11:30 PM

1,220 posts, read 987,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I have been looking around at all the Youtube videos about this "Great American" Solar Eclipse. There are any number of predictions on Youtube about what it portends, that is is an omen, or a sign in the heavens we should be watching. I believe it is a sign in the heavens. But I would not say I know what it points to.

My question: What is all this talk of proving the earth is flat??? How can people believe this? It's crazy talk to my ears. If you go to Youtube and look at the videos about the Solar Eclipse, there are numerous videos saying this Eclipse will prove the earth is flat. I have not listened to any of the videos on that.

Anyone reading have any thoughts on the importance of this event coming tomorrow?
A solar eclipse "to prove the earth is flat?" You don't need to look to the heavens to prove that.
Water finds it's level my friend...not it's curve.
Do you know any scientist in forum land that can generate a gravitational field on a ball traveling at 67,000 mph to make water find it's curve?
The assumption is that the earth is a convex sphere with a radius of 6371 kilometers or 3959 miles. There should be roughly 8 inches of curvature for every mile...so if you're 6' tall, and your target distance is 60 miles away, then the distance to the horizon is about 3 miles...which means that your target should be hidden beyond 2200 feet of upward curve.
Looks really cool on paper, yet has been observed by no one...except for maybe the non sequitur idiot who claims he saw the earth's curvature through the window of jet.
May God richly bless you on your journey to discover that the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
A solar eclipse "to prove the earth is flat?" You don't need to look to the heavens to prove that.
Water finds it's level my friend...not it's curve.
Do you know any scientist in forum land that can generate a gravitational field on a ball traveling at 67,000 mph to make water find it's curve?
The assumption is that the earth is a convex sphere with a radius of 6371 kilometers or 3959 miles. There should be roughly 8 inches of curvature for every mile...so if you're 6' tall, and your target distance is 60 miles away, then the distance to the horizon is about 3 miles...which means that your target should be hidden beyond 2200 feet of upward curve.
Looks really cool on paper, yet has been observed by no one...except for maybe the non sequitur idiot who claims he saw the earth's curvature through the window of jet.
May God richly bless you on your journey to discover that the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line.
So you are saying you believe the earth is flat? Wow! I had never actually communicated personally with anyone who really believes this. I may faint just contemplating how anti-science the modern Christian world has become.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:22 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Actually its on August 21 around mid day and there are no omens in Christianity

Old 08-21-2017, 03:31 AM

1,220 posts, read 987,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
So you are saying you believe the earth is flat? Wow! I had never actually communicated personally with anyone who really believes this. I may faint just contemplating how anti-science the modern Christian world has become.
One may continue to modify their hypothesis to fit the data; one must also love fishing for results. If you keep looking long enough, and in enough places where publishing bias is redundant to the point of almost no return...then yes, data will be found to support any hypothesis...such as the one that said we live on the outside of a sphere hurtling through space.
You will find that most Christians today falter between two opinions...God said! and "Yeah, hath God said?"
You're either living in an enclosed system, or living upon an open system.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Actually its on August 21 around mid day and there are no omens in Christianity
Thank you - yeah, I see I got the date wrong! My mind does that now and then.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
One may continue to modify their hypothesis to fit the data; one must also love fishing for results. If you keep looking long enough, and in enough places where publishing bias is redundant to the point of almost no return...then yes, data will be found to support any hypothesis...such as the one that said we live on the outside of a sphere hurtling through space.
You will find that most Christians today falter between two opinions...God said! and "Yeah, hath God said?"
You're either living in an enclosed system, or living upon an open system.
Okie Dokie. The earth is not spinning either? Hmmmm.... And did you say their is no gravitational pull? I wonder how those pilots deal with all this. And seamen as well. What happens when a ship gets to the edge of the earth? And what I want to know especially is, what is on the underside of this pancake? And can I go there to see it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity