Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 08:23 AM

377 posts, read 575,896 times

Advertisements

CNS STORY: No 'Yahweh' in songs, prayers at Catholic Masses, Vatican rules

I read a recent article that said its poll showed that the majority of Christians would not replace "the Lord" with "YHWH/YaHWeH". Perhaps the reason is the above citation?

I find it puzzling as far as intellectualism is concerned because it seems that the majority of Christians are quite familiar with the original Hebrew name, the dominant name, in the Bible. In fact, by some miracle I have been able to list all 6007 Hebrew Bible occurrences of this name in a file.

I don't know how one can have an opinion without scholarly analysis of such a listing, one by one and every which way. Seems like great detective work for people who are proficient in the Hebrew language. My listing cites every single occurrence in Hebrew. I am not skilled enough to do anythng with it. I just had to prove to myself that it's doable.

Jewish me already has adopted this philosophical path when dealing with the Jewish literature where yod-hey-waw-hey occurs. I can't stand "the Lord" any more myself. when my eyes transmit the original to my brain. it won't let my mouth say "adonai" any more. Even in every single prayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 08:45 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
The Concordant Literal Old Tesament did put Yahweh wherever the Hebrew had it. It is also Anglicizes transliterally El, Eloah, Elohim etc.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:05 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,979 times
Well first of all, many translations don't just say "Lord", but have the 'ord' portion in smaller uppercase letters to clearly signal this is for the Tetragrammaton, and not something like Adonai. Secondly, who cares which way they do it? (assuming it's distinguishable) It's just not a hill worth dying upon, IMO.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:11 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,603 times
[quote=macnietspingal;25493330 .[/quote]

we as Jehovah witnesses have been witnessing for decades the God of Israels name. we know the letters YHWH had been replaced with L.O.R.D., ("...the distinctive Hebrew name for God - usually transliterated Jehovah, is in this translation represented by "LORD." - Today's English Version (preface). [SIZE=3]we don't know what the true vowels were. but we do know Jehovah ,(which is in ALL kjb), is the name he allows ALL to use. still many refuse to understand why we use his name so much. many feel we just want to because it makes us THINK...we're something special, we NEVER said it did! we KNOW we're just as imperfect as one who doesn't say his name. what many refuse to believe the men of old ,Moses, Abraham, Jacob, Adam, etc. worshipped and taught about Jehovah God. they just didn't know his name at that time ,(Exo.[/SIZE]6:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them).

[SIZE=3]they were true Jehovah witnesses, Jehovah wanted to have servants who used his name ,that one certain race who at one time ONLY, had that heavnely calling. now we who's NOT of the Jewish race, also have that blessing, (Rom. [/SIZE]
9:24-26 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles? As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved. And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God). see also,[SIZE=3] (Acts [/SIZE]15:14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name). some have said, or say witnesses just WANT to say they have to use God's name. but we say it because Jehovah God said it, (2 Chron. 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land).
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] Isa. 43:7-11, Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him. Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour). these scriptures truely prove Jehovah wanted people to use his name). ANY who reconize the God of Israel, and acknowledge his name. are the ones he sends to Jesus, (for true understanding),... (John [SIZE=3]17:6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word). Jesus also shown, he told them his Father's name. denying to acknowledge ,teach, or worship the God or Israel's name. isn't going to make us true followers of Jesus. after all he too was in a sense....a Jehovah's witness. peace [/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 08-06-2012, 04:56 AM

I first came across "It's Yahweh or No way" publicly in 2008. That gave me the first time in my life without penalty to use the word YHWH or any form of it publicly. Even replacing "the Lord" with "YHWH" in quoting the Bible. I thank Stephen Colbert for that (probably Jon Stewart too). So now it's a great debate out in the open.

"Jehovah, Move Ovah" or "It's Yahweh or no way". However it's yod-hey-waw-hey in the OT (Original and Old). YHWH in the lingua franca transliteration. So I think it can be said that written it's only the Tetragrammaton in either Hebrew or English. It's just four definable letters that everyone can agree with in posting but when it comes to adding other letters and using it orally, it'll never be resolved.

So in the end, one size fits all in script but in the grapevine we can allow innovation and even enjoy the different sounds. Even on Capitol Hill USA and every State's version of Capitol Hill USA.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:26 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
My take on this is that "The Lord" must be OK, as a substitute for Yahweh, as the NT uses "the Lord" all over the place. It seems to me that is God really wanted it "corrected", then Jesus would have done so and this would be reflected in the NT, but KUPIOS is used everywhere in the NT to refer to God Almighty.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times
I had some folks from the Hebrew roots/sacred name movement recently accuse me of breaking the 3rd commandment

Exodus 20

7 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

simply because im using God which is a title instead of the name YAH, YHWH, Yahweh, etc and saying Jesus instead of Yeshua or Yahusha since that is his real name in Hebrew, so therefore im substituting the name and making it mean nothing, so i am now taking the name in vain. After that i had to get the whole letter J argument, as well.

In the end God (YHWH) knows when his people are calling him.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I had some folks from the Hebrew roots/sacred name movement recently accuse me of breaking the 3rd commandment

Exodus 20

7 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

simply because im using God which is a title instead of the name YAH, YHWH, Yahweh, etc and saying Jesus instead of Yeshua or Yahusha since that is his real name in Hebrew, so therefore im substituting the name and making it mean nothing, so i am now taking the name in vain. After that i had to get the whole letter J argument, as well.

In the end God (YHWH) knows when his people are calling him.
Who owns the interpretation of the Bible any way? If the majority of poor people prefer to say what they see themselves (which they couldn't do until Internet came along and INTELSAT) then it is what it is. YHWH doesn't have a penis, Adonai does. It's that simple.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:54 PM

Default Puzzlement

CNS STORY: No 'Yahweh' in songs, prayers at Catholic Masses, Vatican rules
Divine Name click Remarkable then Apollo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity