Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 02:35 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times

Advertisements

The Bible does not specifically forbid the consummation of alcoholic beverages, but it doesn't say many things about the sinfulness of drunkenness. From a Biblical perspective, how is drunkenness defined and how much do you have to drink before its crossed from the permissible enjoyment of the fruit of the vine into sin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 02:59 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,460,387 times
Interesting question that doesn't have an exact answer spelled out in the Bible.

Peter does remind us to "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,"

I would say once you've lost the ability to communicate the gospel and explain the hope in which you have (in a gentle and respectable manner), you've had too much. Now I suppose you could argue you might be in situations where you know you won't have to do so, but you never know so I think it's a good start.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:10 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,663,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The Bible does not specifically forbid the consummation of alcoholic beverages, but it doesn't say many things about the sinfulness of drunkenness. From a Biblical perspective, how is drunkenness defined and how much do you have to drink before its crossed from the permissible enjoyment of the fruit of the vine into sin?

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Envy, murder, drunkenness, reveling and all such things; those who are committing these things, as I said to you from the first, I say now also, that they shall not inherit The Kingdom of God. Galatians 5:21.

I believe that Scripture makes it perfectly clear that comitting drunkeness is no different than comitting murder...envy...orgies...wild parties and the like...it is a sin to do so, and you will NOT enter into the Kingdom of Heaven if you do. Children of God are to behave decently.

Saying that...I believe that there is nothing wrong with an occasional drink or two...just enough to relax yourself in a peaceable way. Moderation in everything is the key...

King James Bible
Let your moderation [gentleness] be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Philippians 4:5.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
And let your humility [gentleness] be known to every person; our Lord is near. Philippians 4:5.

We...the children of God, DO represent Who our Lord is to all the world...and that is quite a responsibility....not to be taken lightly.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:25 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,143,235 times
Most people i know always say they drink to get a buzz or get drunk, so they have a set goal in mind when they drink. Ive never been drunk before, but moderation is the key as just stated. Im sure drunkness that Paul is referring to is the lifestyle of alcoholism where your constantly drunk to the point where you are trusting in liquor to make you feel better or solve your woes, rather than rely upon God.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:30 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
Drunkenness is when you're drunker and more boisterous than the guests at the wedding party where Jesus had turned water into wine. I guess you could attend Jewish weddings to get a feel for that.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:33 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
Jesus said in Matthew 24: 42-51.....``Watch there for you know not what hour your Lord does come ......But know this that if a goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come ...He would have watched and would not have suffered his house to be brokened up......Who then is a faith full and wise servant , whom his lord has to give them meat in due season ?....Blessed is that servant whom his lord when he comes will find so doing ....Very truly I say to you That he will make him ruler over all his goods .......BUT and if that evil servant will say in his heart . My lord delays his coming ...and will smite his fellow servant, and to eat and DRINK WITH THE DRUNKEN.....The lord of that servant will come in a day and in a hour that he is not aware of ...And will cut him asunder and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites, that will be weeping and gnashing of teeth....``.... See Jesus definition of eat and drink and be drunken in a no show , as it will bring irreverences to Holy Spirit by abusing one self and gives rise to the dark spirits who are mobilities disruptor demons and then demons who temp of who is not tolerant to drink again which is abuse to the temple of Holy Spirit.... then there is the eat part which is also sin as it gives rise to greed , and tempter dark spirit which will take their control to eat more than is needed ...... So through Jesus blood judgments prayer , He will cleans people of these control dark spirit and set people free indeed ....

Old 08-23-2012, 06:53 PM

63 posts, read 82,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Jesus said in Matthew 24: 42-51.....``Watch there for you know not what hour your Lord does come ......But know this that if a goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come ...He would have watched and would not have suffered his house to be brokened up......Who then is a faith full and wise servant , whom his lord has to give them meat in due season ?....Blessed is that servant whom his lord when he comes will find so doing ....Very truly I say to you That he will make him ruler over all his goods .......BUT and if that evil servant will say in his heart . My lord delays his coming ...and will smite his fellow servant, and to eat and DRINK WITH THE DRUNKEN.....The lord of that servant will come in a day and in a hour that he is not aware of ...And will cut him asunder and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites, that will be weeping and gnashing of teeth....``.... See Jesus definition of eat and drink and be drunken in a no show , as it will bring irreverences to Holy Spirit by abusing one self and gives rise to the dark spirits who are mobilities disruptor demons and then demons who temp of who is not tolerant to drink again which is abuse to the temple of Holy Spirit.... then there is the eat part which is also sin as it gives rise to greed , and tempter dark spirit which will take their control to eat more than is needed ...... So through Jesus blood judgments prayer , He will cleans people of these control dark spirit and set people free indeed ....
Hi,

I don't even like the smell of it, so maybe 'tea-total-er' is a gift or asset.

If I remember, the Levite was not to drink when he was 'on duty.'

If my food offends I will be a vegetarian. I want to help the weak brother.

1Ti_5:23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

Maybe as Medicine? Other reasons appreciated.

Shalom,
Tom

Old 08-23-2012, 07:02 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
I think drunkenness is not only referring to alcohol/drugs but also spiritually in some areas. I think any amount to where it alters one state (which isn't much) is where it becomes drunkenness. Best to just stay away from it I think.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:47 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times
I'd say that perhaps 3 or 4 small beers should be the limit.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:49 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,248,259 times
If you're getting drunk its a problem. Don't get drunk and you wont have any problems. IMO dont drink at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity