Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:44 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,251,778 times

Advertisements

6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth. 7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

I dont understand water and blood and the spirit, water and blood on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 09:14 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,467,050 times
It was possible John was arguing against people who held views in common with Cerinthus, who taught that the divine Christ descended on the man Jesus at His baptism and left Him before His crucifixion.

So water would refer to the baptism which initiated Jesus's public ministry and blood would refer to his death on the cross (when his ministry was terminated).

Can't say for certain, but it's certainly very plausible.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:49 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,062,628 times
wine, water, and spirit

Old 08-17-2012, 05:37 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,971,427 times
HOly Spirit, water of Holy Baptism, the blood of the everlasting covenant given in the Lord's Supper.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
HOly Spirit, water of Holy Baptism, the blood of the everlasting covenant given in the Lord's Supper.
can you go into a little more detail.......?

Old 08-17-2012, 10:13 AM

My apologies, the chapter is 5. I left that out..... 1 John 5: 6-8

Old 08-17-2012, 11:28 AM

331 posts, read 605,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth. 7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

I dont understand water and blood and the spirit, water and blood on earth.

^^^^ It's great you are asking questions, and trying to understand God's Word better. When I have questions, which I still do a lot(!) or just want a deeper understanding of a verse, chapter, word, etc. I check out www.blueletterbible.org. It is nice to be able to look up different translations, commentaries, definitions of words, etc.
Hope that helps!

Best wishes in your journey!

Old 08-17-2012, 03:00 PM

9,704 posts, read 10,079,557 times
Some people have heard stories of missionaries who are called in the local churches to go off to foreign lands , and minister to the people of these lands...... Where they came back of stories of all these people were they prayed for were God healed beyond belief , never seen in the local churches, well this is what is called the River waters of God , or living waters ..... In Ezekiel 47 is a vision the Lord God of these waters that grow when believers go out to minister from the walls of the local church and the farther they go the greater the blessing of God miracles will be..... See a start in verse 3 the waters was up to his ankles , then thousand measured the waters was up to the knees, then another thousand measured was up to the loins, then another thousand and it was a river , water to swim in, that could not be passed over ... then in verse 8 , this river move to the east and down to the desert dry areas , and these waters will be healed and everything will live whither the river comes ....```...... See the rivers are the movement of God bringing His blessing to bless people who go out beyond spreading the blessing unselfishly to others ... Where the blood of Jesus is the judgment of the cross where all known blessing from the Lord will come , and there is no blessing without this judgment of Jesus blood from Heaven ... The Spirit that bears witness is God Spirit in the earth , and the spirit of Christ were believers are born again in the spirit and are one with God in Spirit , which are called to develop fruits of the Spirit ...... Then there is the Word that bears record in heaven from verse 7 which Is the calling of the Son of Man Lord Jesus Christ who inherited this position of logos Word of God .....

Old 08-18-2012, 06:26 AM

154 posts, read 210,853 times
Its very simple. We need the blood, (repentance) and the water (baptism) and the spirit (baptism of the Holy Ghost) for a full new birth experience. Same as the examples in the book of Acts.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:14 PM

139 posts, read 167,762 times
Look at it in it's full context:
(1 John 5:5-8) 5 Who is the one that conquers the world but he who has faith that Jesus is the Son of God? 6 This is he that came by means of water and blood, Jesus Christ; not with the water only, but with the water and with the blood. And the spirit is that which is bearing witness, because the spirit is the truth. 7 For there are three witness bearers, 8 the spirit and the water and the blood, and the three are in agreement.

Water baptism:
(Matthew 3:13) 13 Then Jesus came from Gal′i·lee to the Jordan to John, in order to be baptized by him.

Blood of the ransom sacrifice:
(Acts 20:28) Pay attention to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the holy spirit has appointed YOU overseers, to shepherd the congregation of God, which he purchased with the blood of his own [Son].
(Ephesians 1:7) By means of him we have the release by ransom through the blood of that one, yes, the forgiveness of [our] trespasses, according to the riches of his undeserved kindness.
(Hebrews 9:22) Yes, nearly all things are cleansed with blood according to the Law, and unless blood is poured out no forgiveness takes place.
(1 Peter 1:19) But it was with precious blood, like that of an unblemished and spotless lamb, even Christ’s.

Spirit:
(Matthew 3:16) After being baptized Jesus immediately came up from the water; and, look! the heavens were opened up, and he saw descending like a dove God’s spirit coming upon him.
(John 1:33) Even I did not know him, but the very One who sent me to baptize in water said to me, ‘Whoever it is upon whom you see the spirit coming down and remaining, this is the one that baptizes in holy spirit.’

**(1 John 5:8) 8 the spirit* and the water# and the blood**, and the three are in agreement##.

*the spirit
(Luke 3:22) and the holy spirit in bodily shape like a dove came down upon him, and a voice came out of heaven: “You are my Son, the beloved; I have approved you.”
(Luke 4:18) “Jehovah’s spirit is upon me, because he anointed me to declare good news to the poor, he sent me forth to preach a release to the captives and a recovery of sight to the blind, to send the crushed ones away with a release,
(John 1:32) John also bore witness, saying: “I viewed the spirit coming down as a dove out of heaven, and it remained upon him.
(Acts 10:38) namely, Jesus who was from Naz′a·reth, how God anointed him with holy spirit and power, and he went through the land doing good and healing all those oppressed by the Devil; because God was with him.

#the water
(Luke 3:21) 21 Now when all the people were baptized, Jesus also was baptized and, as he was praying, the heaven was opened up

**the blood
(Hebrews 9:14) 14 how much more will the blood of the Christ, who through an everlasting spirit offered himself without blemish to God, cleanse our consciences from dead works that we may render sacred service to [the] living God?

##the three are in agreement
(Matthew 18:16) But if he does not listen, take along with you one or two more, in order that at the mouth of two or three witnesses every matter may be established.
(2 Corinthians 13:1) This is the third time I am coming to YOU. “At the mouth of two witnesses or of three every matter must be established.”
(1 Timothy 3:16) Indeed, the sacred secret of this godly devotion is admittedly great: ‘He was made manifest in flesh, was declared righteous in spirit, appeared to angels, was preached about among nations, was believed upon in [the] world, was received up in glory.’
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity