U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2012, 07:35 PM

42 posts, read 45,821 times

Advertisements

[CENTER][CENTER]Blessed are Those Who Mourn…the second of the be-attitudes[/CENTER][/CENTER]

Matthew 5:4 (ESV)
4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

What is Jesus referring to when He says “Blessed are those who mourn”? Some think it is for those who are mourning a loss of a loved one; and we can say for sure, that they will definitely be comforted by our Lord, our God. Most however will agree that Jesus is referring to those who mourn over their sin; I have to agree with the commentary on this, for it fits the text and the whole concept of the beatitudes. It makes complete sense that we would be blessed and comforted when we mourn over our sin, for in our state of mourning we are repenting of this sin that has caused us to mourn.

2 Corinthians 7:10 (ESV)
10 For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death.

Remember our conversation about being “poor in spirit”, when we are poor in spirit, we put ourselves second. When we put ourselves second, we are honest about our sins, and truly in our hearts want to turn from them. This is the process of mourning over your sin, by mourning and repenting (turning from this sin) Jesus is there to comfort you, and He will raise you up; He will help you overcome.

Matthew 11:28-30 (ESV)
28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

This concept of mourning over our sins goes against much of the way our society lives today. If we do something wrong, especially for men, the best thing the world teaches us is to just bury it and move on. Pretend like it never happened. I personally lived my life like this for many years before I truly gave my life to Christ. All it did was give me a lot of resentment, anger, disappointment, and shame to carry around as baggage. Jesus wants your baggage, stop lugging it around with you. Lay it at His feet, stop trying to do it all on your own, stop trying to prove yourself to everyone including God. He wants honesty, He wants you to lay it at His feet and mourn, so He can enter your heart and comfort you.

Take time today, take time every day; mourn over your sins, cry out to God, be honest and want to truly in your heart turn from it (every one of us has a sin in our life we could turn from, Rom 3:23). Let His Holy Spirit comfort you, guide you, strengthen you, and lift you up. Let His Holy Spirit provide rest for you, as you soak in His presence. Let Him teach you on how to turn from this sin, let Him work within your life, as you truly live second to Him. Let God transform how you see things, and how you think about things; all of this is possible when we put ourselves second, and truly mourn, and repent from our sins.

Romans 12:2 (KJV)
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Do you mourn over your sins? Do you ask forgiveness, or do you truly repent from your sins?

Last edited by Revdforster; 08-19-2012 at 07:45 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 09:50 PM

489 posts, read 813,062 times
Amen, I say!

I definitely mourn and grieve in prayer for the lost souls, and ask of my Lord Christ Jesus that He will release ministering spirits to minister to their souls, so that they may have a chance, especially the ones ignorant to God our Father through Lord Christ Jesus.

We must have integrity with God our Father at all times, and confess our sins (our shortcomings), acknowledging that we are a sinner, and asking God our Father for His salvation He freely gives us through the grace of Christ Jesus. This needs to be done on a daily basis, a moment to moment daily basis, as we cannot do this on our own, though many, and I mean "MANY" think they can do this on their own. Being in your own will not save you, being in Gods compassion and love will.

I wish only the best to all my brothers and sisters in Christ, to all whom are reading, no matter what place you are in. Peace be with you all, as peace I give you all from my heart.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:33 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,427,286 times
To me this verse (Matt 5:4) reminds me of Lot. Who wanted to serve God but because of the people around him caused him grief in his soul. Lot was tormented by how the people around him acted. Although I admit that I try to ignore the world, I can't help but to be caught up in what is around me. I hate the world, I wish we would act more godly, but we do not. Supposedly 83% of Americans are Christians but we can't get movies without nakedness or cussing, we can't watch TV without seeing ungodly things. In fact, just about every event has something against God just for the sake of having it. Even with our kids they are taking away prayer in the events .... so much unbelief around us it makes true believers mourn.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:26 AM

489 posts, read 813,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
To me this verse (Matt 5:4) reminds me of Lot. Who wanted to serve God but because of the people around him caused him grief in his soul. Lot was tormented by how the people around him acted. Although I admit that I try to ignore the world, I can't help but to be caught up in what is around me. I hate the world, I wish we would act more godly, but we do not. Supposedly 83% of Americans are Christians but we can't get movies without nakedness or cussing, we can't watch TV without seeing ungodly things. In fact, just about every event has something against God just for the sake of having it. Even with our kids they are taking away prayer in the events .... so much unbelief around us it makes true believers mourn.
Yes, very true here. I used to be just like Lot, I had so much grief in my soul because I loved Christ Jesus so much and then witnessed how so many people acted around me, especially the ones aware of our Lord Christ Jesus, and even professing Christ Jesus as their Savior. I allowed this foolishness to torment my soul because I did get caught up in this foolishness behavior. I now know better, as I have loosed myself from this world and let the Holy Spirit lead my life.

I also hated this world with such a passion, that I ended up hating God our Father from this, exactly what Satan desired from my soul. These days I only mourn and grieve for these lost souls, as hate is not an answer, nor is it of God our Father. This reminds me of an old saying that has always remained in my heart....

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

....Peace be with you, as peace I leave you from my heart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity