Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 10:28 AM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times

Advertisements

Not a fan. Especially not a fan of Churches that like to pretend that they are cool and easy going when in reality they are anything but.

FALSE ADVERTISING!

Huckster junk that began at the turn of the last century.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 10:51 AM

88,523 posts, read 84,705,921 times
It's not for me. I grew up in the Reformed Church, which was not liturgical but still was more solemn and respectful in the worship style. No hootin' and hollering, nobody rolling around "catching the Holy Ghost", no repetitious "praise choruses". The thing I DIDN"T like about that church was that the preaching and prayers and teaching were very negative, very dark, with the main focus on fear and death rather than love and hope. It didn't do my psyche a lot of good growing up in that framework, to put it mildly.

I am now an Episcopalian and have been for a number of years. While we are somewhat different from other churches in that we don't claim to be the only "right" religion, we do hold onto the rituals of communion and the historical church calendar. That might not be for everybody, either, but it works very well for me. I like the sense of the reverence for God rather than the buddy-buddy outlook of some of the newer churches, as well as the time taken toward self-examination and the practice of holiness inherent in this type of church. The only thing I DON'T care for much is the music. The Episcopal Hymnal has to contain some of the dullest hymns ever written, lol. There are a few good ones, but some just have no tune.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:58 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,546 times
Do you have specific critiques or are you just trying to be divisive? I think you're painting with a rather broad brush. There isn't any particular correct way to hold a church service, so point out your particular objections and don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Do you have specific critiques or are you just trying to be divisive? I think you're painting with a rather broad brush. There isn't any particular correct way to hold a church service, so point out your particular objections and don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Yes I have very specific critiques. I already named one. FALSE ADVERTISING.

Say up front that "while we may act loosey - goosy and wild in our services and you can dress as though you just got off a playing field - you may not dance, drink, listen to secular music or vote any way but Republican.""

THAT would be honest.

Another problem - the sheer SIZE. Related problem. Celebrity Pators with little or no education.

Or degrees from diploma mills or Liberty. Same to me.

Offering "Extra Church" amenities to lure people in. I have seen gyms, game rooms, child care, "counseling", craft classes, mens groups such as Promise Keepers, concerts of faux rock music.

I think they are cults.

Another REALLY PROBLEMATIC ISSUE - using terms such as New Life Center, Christian Center, Family Life Center etc. Be real it's a church. Not a Country Club for the working man.

This is especially wrong when there is a denomination - usually Assembly of God, Nazerene, Independent Baptist, Bible etc.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:47 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,546 times
OK you are taking the worst elements of various churches, and combining them all into a single entity as if that's representative of every large and/or non-denominational church. Really each church may have elements of one and none of the others. And "cults" - really?

Old 08-18-2012, 01:20 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times
The only thing that matters is, do they preach Jesus Christ and Him crucified for the remission of sin? Size and style of worship is secondary.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:36 PM

Can anyone answer the claim of false advertising? No didn't think so.

All Christian churches teach that Jesus is God's son and that he died for our sins.

Mega churches lure people in by offering all of the stuff I mentioned and more.

Who would Jesus lure?

Old 08-18-2012, 01:50 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Can anyone answer the claim of false advertising? No didn't think so.

All Christian churches teach that Jesus is God's son and that he died for our sins.

Mega churches lure people in by offering all of the stuff I mentioned and more.

Who would Jesus lure?
If people are being saved, what's your beef?

Quote:
Say up front that "while we may act loosey - goosy and wild in our services and you can dress as though you just got off a playing field - you may not dance, drink, listen to secular music or vote any way but Republican.""
That's not true. I belong to a mega-church. We don't have these rules you speak of. We follow Scripture, which says not to be polluted by the world.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:28 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes I have very specific critiques. I already named one. FALSE ADVERTISING.

Where do you see these ads? I don't think I have ever seen an ad for a church.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:25 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,487,769 times
It has been said that a church that follows a liturgical service is prone more to be theologically correct in certian teaching. Though certianly not to mean that non-liturgical are not Christian, it would seem to hold some credence when the teachings on subjects like communion \ baptism, end of the world and fellowship are the topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity