Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 11:42 AM

26,052 posts, read 22,254,417 times

Advertisements

I have been "researching" the church to which my family belonged which is difficult because it appeared to be "unique" so I was trying to identify the sect of Christianity that "The People's Church", South Bend, IN was. My grandpa's 2nd cousin was the minister. Through city-data, I have located some of his grandchildren who have shared information. This was long ago in the 50's and 60's that I remember. So, I was told that it was not any particular sect but was "dispensational theology" so I attempted to read about what that was but it is too deep for me so I thought that maybe someone could either point me to a source that would be simple or maybe have a brief explanation that would be easy to understand as in what makes it different from other theology. I have only been interested in the basics of religion, God's laws, etc. but now, I want to understand more of the faith that has sustained me throughout my life. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 11:47 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,070,823 times
Wikipedia has a decent primer on it that doesn't get too deep.

Dispensationalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Something a little more involved you may want to check is also the book "God's Word Made Plain" which deals with dispensational Christianity.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:53 PM

6 posts, read 5,497 times
Some of the basics are:

Israel is Israel
Gentiles are Gentiles
God Gave the Law to Israel.
God opened the Church to Gentiles with the calling of Paul, The Apostle To The Gentiles.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:12 PM

33,360 posts, read 26,598,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I have been "researching" the church to which my family belonged which is difficult because it appeared to be "unique" so I was trying to identify the sect of Christianity that "The People's Church", South Bend, IN was. My grandpa's 2nd cousin was the minister. Through city-data, I have located some of his grandchildren who have shared information. This was long ago in the 50's and 60's that I remember. So, I was told that it was not any particular sect but was "dispensational theology" so I attempted to read about what that was but it is too deep for me so I thought that maybe someone could either point me to a source that would be simple or maybe have a brief explanation that would be easy to understand as in what makes it different from other theology. I have only been interested in the basics of religion, God's laws, etc. but now, I want to understand more of the faith that has sustained me throughout my life. Thank you.
A dispensation is a period of time expressing the divine viewpoint of human history. But the emphasis is not on the time factor, but on the way in which God administers His plan to a particular group of people within that period of time.

The word Greek word 'oikonomia' is translated both as 'dispensation' and as 'stewardship' For example, in 1 Corinthians 9:17 the NASB translates it a 'stewardship' while the KJV translates it as 'dispensation.'

The meaning is that of administration. In different periods of human history God puts someone in charge of disseminating the gospel. God uses human administrators or stewards to accomplish His purpose.

There are basically four different dispensations though some dispensationalists sub-divide these dispensations and so come to a different number.

In the Age of the Gentiles, all believers were administrators and were responsible for dissemination of the truth.

In the Age of Israel, Israel was the administrator. Jewish believers in the Age of Israel were custodians of the truth and were responsible for disseminating the gospel. Israel was supposed to have declared the glory of God among the nations (Isaiah 66:19).

In the Church Age in which we now live, the Church, made up of all believers in the body of Christ, is the administrator.

In the Millennial kingdom, it is Jesus Christ Himself who will be the administrator.

While the means of eternal salvation is the same in all dispensations, there are differences in the system of spirituality. In the age of Israel, the Jews were under a ritual sacrificial system which pictured the coming of the Messiah in the future. The Age of Israel was an age of ritual.

But in the Church Age most ritual is done away with. The exceptions are water baptism and the Lord's supper.

Another difference between the Israel and the Church is that in the Age of Israel, only males of the tribe of Levi could be priests. But in the Church Age every believer is a priest.

Israel was under the Mosaic Law. The Church is not.

So with a change in dispensations, God deals with one group of people in one way, then with a different group of people in a different way, then another, and then another.

That is just a very brief description of what dispensations involve. Here are four different studies you can look at.

DOCTRINE OF DISPENSATIONS

DOCTRINE OF DISPENSATIONS This study regards the eternal future as a dispensation, as opposed to the first four dispensations which take place in time.

Doctrine of Dispensations - Doctrines for download - Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries / Grace Bible Church - bible doctrine truth in Christ

Dispensations, Definitions/Explanation

I hope that helps.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:37 PM

26,052 posts, read 22,254,417 times
Thank you everyone. I am going to read all I can because I am sure that it will come together for me. One of the grandson's mentioned the theologians that he is studying and had a chance to hear when, sadly, he was too young to understand their importance but I did manage to find, I think, all of them on an audio sermon website. Really, I guess I am trying to find out why I believe as I believe since it often seems different than those around me. Thanks again.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:47 AM

37,545 posts, read 61,596,793 times
My church is very dispensationalist.

The dispensation during the Garden of Eden was a unique period of time. God and Man had a relationship that sounds great, but it ended.

Thus began a second dispensation, that of the 'Patriarchs'.

Later was 'The Law' administration.

We can sit in one dispensation and read things from another era, and learn from them. However we must remember that the relationship between God and Man was unique in each dispensation.

Today we live in Grace. The Body of Christ is both Jew and Gentile, engrafted into a single branch, together. This dispensation is unique are not like any of the previous eras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity