U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:16 PM

14,743 posts, read 30,091,978 times

Advertisements

I prefer that Catholics answer here, since God knows the other brands of Christianity have different standard and optional features.

We know that, during the Mass, bread and wine are transformed into the body and blood of Christ. In other Christian religions that include a paschal meal, the meal is a commemoration of the Last Supper. Do you think that Catholics REALLY believe that, at each Mass, the transformation really occurs? Do you think some Catholics are Cafeteria Catholics who believe it's a commemoration? Do you think the transformation can occur when presided over by priests who went by the wayside, or currently are?

Please discuss.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 10:25 PM

65,675 posts, read 61,691,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I prefer that Catholics answer here, since God knows the other brands of Christianity have different standard and optional features.

We know that, during the Mass, bread and wine are transformed into the body and blood of Christ. In other Christian religions that include a paschal meal, the meal is a commemoration of the Last Supper. Do you think that Catholics REALLY believe that, at each Mass, the transformation really occurs? Do you think some Catholics are Cafeteria Catholics who believe it's a commemoration? Do you think the transformation can occur when presided over by priests who went by the wayside, or currently are?

Please discuss.
Sorry, not quite accurate.

Some Episcopalians do believe in transubstantiation as Catholics do. Most Episcopalians believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the bread and wine. To very few Episcopalians is it merely a commemoration of the Last Supper.

I grew up in a church (The RCA (Reformed Church of America, similar to Presbyterian in services, Calvinist in doctrine) that believed in a mere commemoration. The Eucharist in the Episcopal Church, to which I now belong, is very, very different.

Carry on.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sorry, not quite accurate.

Some Episcopalians do believe in transubstantiation as Catholics do. Most Episcopalians believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the bread and wine. To very few Episcopalians is it merely a commemoration of the Last Supper.

I grew up in a church (The RCA (Reformed Church of America, similar to Presbyterian in services, Calvinist in doctrine) that believed in a mere commemoration. The Eucharist in the Episcopal Church, to which I now belong, is very, very different.

Carry on.
Maybe I should ask it this way:
Which traditional Christian faiths believe in transubstantiation and which do not (commemoration)?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:47 PM

I'm not "bumping" the thread, per se, but here's the deal. I have some doubts, and probably always have, about the "transubstantiation" part of the Catholic Mass. I have made posts here about what I think of many clergy members. Therefore, I see such a miraculous event as being less tenable when performed by men of the cloth, some of whom I don't respect. Should I bail from Catholicism or just stay "cafeteria?" Some constructive input would be appreciated.

Please, as a courtesy, no "light and the truth" diatribes from right-wing Christians, because I ain't going there. Input is welcomed from those more intimately familiar with the doctrine and this part of the liturgy.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:20 PM

885 posts, read 705,743 times
Jesus said it in John 6. The Early Church Fathers believed it. It is absolutely fundamental to being Catholic. If you don't believe it, move on.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:00 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,145,510 times
Well of a truth He is present and we become or are confirmed as the Body of Christ in Him. Many members yet one body. I am not Catholic but I beleive this.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Jesus said it in John 6. The Early Church Fathers believed it. It is absolutely fundamental to being Catholic. If you don't believe it, move on.
Thanks for the candor.

Two questions:
a) Move on to what? Seriously.
b) What can help me believe it? The problem is that I think some of the not-so-great priests "sully" the process. Sorry.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:05 PM

1,785 posts, read 3,141,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Do you think that Catholics REALLY believe that, at each Mass, the transformation really occurs?
Like many other denomonations, you have what the church offically teaches, and then what the various lay folk believe (which will vary widely). I know some Catholics really do believe in transsubstantiation, and I'm sure some hold other beliefs and just tolerate it (or haven't given it much thought at all).

Generally, the four views go:
- Transsubstantiation
- Consubstantiation
- Spiritual presence
- Commemoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome
Don't you think that's a little excessive? Are you really going to drive people away from the Catholic faith over this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot
b) What can help me believe it? The problem is that I think some of the not-so-great priests "sully" the process. Sorry.
This issue goes back to Augustine and the Donatist controversey. The latter believed in ex opere operantis ( from the work of the one doing the working), whereby priests who had apostasied during persecutions couldn't perform the sacrament because their past actions had tarnished the efficacy and validity of the Eucharist. Augustine argued against them saying ex opere operato (from the work having been worked) - basically the validity of sacrement is independent of those administering it, and solely dependent on the holiness and work of God.

Long story short, the church sided with Augustine, and the Donatists were pissed and caused trouble for several more centuries until the Arab conquest made it a moot point.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Like many other denomonations, you have what the church offically teaches, and then what the various lay folk believe (which will vary widely). I know some Catholics really do believe in transsubstantiation, and I'm sure some hold other beliefs and just tolerate it (or haven't given it much thought at all).

Generally, the four views go:
- Transsubstantiation
- Consubstantiation
- Spiritual presence
- Commemoration

Don't you think that's a little excessive? Are you really going to drive people away from the Catholic faith over this issue?

This issue goes back to Augustine and the Donatist controversey. The latter believed in ex opere operantis ( from the work of the one doing the working), whereby priests who had apostasied during persecutions couldn't perform the sacrament because their past actions had tarnished the efficacy and validity of the Eucharist. Augustine argued against them saying ex opere operato (from the work having been worked) - basically the validity of sacrement is independent of those administering it, and solely dependent on the holiness and work of God.

Long story short, the church sided with Augustine, and the Donatists were pissed and caused trouble for several more centuries until the Arab conquest made it a moot point.
Fantastic, information-packed post. Thanks.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:31 AM

1,785 posts, read 3,141,380 times
I'm glad you found it helpful - though in full disclosure I should note that I actually hold a "commemoration" stance =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity