Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:39 PM

951 posts, read 1,054,332 times

Advertisements

Luke 23:
54 And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.
55 And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.
56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

This was written several decades after the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ and Luke was inspired by the Holy Spirit to write the verses given above.

So, here is a commandment in the New Testament to keep the Sabbath and these verses were inspired by God's Holy Spirit.

The Sabbath is Holy Time to God. If you do anything else but keep God's Sabbath holy on the Sabbath then you are stealing holy time from God and appropriating God's time for your own use. In other words, you are stealing from God something that is holy to God.

Matthew 19:
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Matthew 22:
21 They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.

You are render unto God the things that are God's. The Sabbath is holy unto God. It was sanctified, set aside, on the 7th day of Creation and it is not just for Israelites but for all mankind and Christ says so Himself.

Mark 2:
27 And he [Christ] said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Notice, Christ did not say the Sabbath was made for the Jew, but for man and it's time all men began to keep the Sabbath holy which was made holy at the time we read about in Genesis 2:

Genesis 2:
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Exodus 20:
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Note that the words "sanctified" in Genesis 2:3 and "holy" in Exodus 20:8 are from the same word H6942 in Strong's.

H6942
קדשׁ
qâdash
kaw-dash'
A primitive root; to be (causatively make, pronounce or observe as) clean (ceremonially or morally): - appoint, bid, consecrate, dedicate, defile, hallow, (be, keep) holy (-er, place), keep, prepare, proclaim, purify, sanctify (-ied one, self), X wholly.

Conclusion: Keep God's weekly and annual Sabbaths Holy. That is God's will and if you do not then you are stealing Holy Time from God and appropriating it for your own use and thus profaning the Sabbath and are sinning and thus transgressing the Spiritual Law of God. If you do not repent of this sin and your other sins, you will die the Second Death. So, repent!

It's time this nation wakes up and starts obeying the true God and the true Christ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 01:00 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,940,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
Luke 23:
55 And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.
56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

This was written several decades after the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ and Luke was inspired by the Holy Spirit to write the verses given above.

So, here is a commandment in the New Testament to keep the Sabbath and these verses were inspired by God's Holy Spirit.
How on earth did you arrive at such an interpretation? There is nothing written in Luke's narrative here to derive such a conclusion as you've provided.

The purpose of the narrative was to record whom (the women), what (they rested), when (the sabbath) and why (the commandment), regarding such events that took place prior to Christ's resurrection. It helps the reader to understand the mindset of the characters.

Luke, then records:

Luk 24:1 NOW upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.
Luk 24:2 And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre.
Luk 24:3 And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus.
Luk 24:4 And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments:
Luk 24:5 And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead?
Luk 24:6 He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee,
Luk 24:7 Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.
Luk 24:8 And they remembered his words,

The women simply had not remembered (or believed) what Christ had told them. Or, as Paul would have said: They had believed in vain:

1Co 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

If anything, what Luke records for us are the actions, thoughts and deeds of unbelievers, those under law rather than grace. Or, at best, those having very little faith.

Not only did these women not believe in the resurrection (why prepare and bring spices to an empty tomb?), but neither did the disciples:

Luk 24:11 And their words seemed to them as idle tales, and they believed them not.

And Jesus, reprimanding them for all this, here:

Luk 24:25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:

Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,667,690 times
Quote:
Luke 23:

The Sabbath is Holy Time to God. If you do anything else but keep God's Sabbath holy on the Sabbath then you are stealing holy time from God and appropriating God's time for your own use. In other words, you are stealing from God something that is holy to God.

Matthew 19:
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Matthew 22:
21 They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.

You are render unto God the things that are God's. The Sabbath is holy unto God. It was sanctified, set aside, on the 7th day of Creation and it is not just for Israelites but for all mankind and Christ says so Himself.

Mark 2:
27 And he [Christ] said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Notice, Christ did not say the Sabbath was made for the Jew, but for man and it's time all men began to keep the Sabbath holy which was made holy at the time we read about in Genesis 2:

Genesis 2:
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Exodus 20:
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Note that the words "sanctified" in Genesis 2:3 and "holy" in Exodus 20:8 are from the same word H6942 in Strong's.

H6942
קדשׁ
qâdash
kaw-dash'
A primitive root; to be (causatively make, pronounce or observe as) clean (ceremonially or morally): - appoint, bid, consecrate, dedicate, defile, hallow, (be, keep) holy (-er, place), keep, prepare, proclaim, purify, sanctify (-ied one, self), X wholly.

Conclusion: Keep God's weekly and annual Sabbaths Holy. That is God's will and if you do not then you are stealing Holy Time from God and appropriating it for your own use and thus profaning the Sabbath and are sinning and thus transgressing the Spiritual Law of God. If you do not repent of this sin and your other sins, you will die the Second Death. So, repent!

It's time this nation wakes up and starts obeying the true God and the true Christ!
You're exactly right tthttf, you "see" the truth of God's word in the Light of truth...God Bless you so much.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:40 AM

951 posts, read 1,054,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
How on earth did you arrive at such an interpretation? There is nothing written in Luke's narrative here to derive such a conclusion as you've provided.

The purpose of the narrative was to record whom (the women), what (they rested), when (the sabbath) and why (the commandment), regarding such events that took place prior to Christ's resurrection. It helps the reader to understand the mindset of the characters.

Luke, then records:

Luk 24:1 NOW upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.
Luk 24:2 And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre.
Luk 24:3 And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus.
Luk 24:4 And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments:
Luk 24:5 And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead?
Luk 24:6 He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee,
Luk 24:7 Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.
Luk 24:8 And they remembered his words,

The women simply had not remembered (or believed) what Christ had told them. Or, as Paul would have said: They had believed in vain:

1Co 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

If anything, what Luke records for us are the actions, thoughts and deeds of unbelievers, those under law rather than grace. Or, at best, those having very little faith.

Not only did these women not believe in the resurrection (why prepare and bring spices to an empty tomb?), but neither did the disciples:

Luk 24:11 And their words seemed to them as idle tales, and they believed them not.

And Jesus, reprimanding them for all this, here:

Luk 24:25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
Luke WAS guided by God's Holy Spirit to record "according to the commandment". This was written decades after the fact. If the commandment was no longer a commandment as all the anti-Sabbath people believe was the case, then Luke would have worded it according to their theology, which he did not.

It was a commandment during the days that Christ was on this earth, it was a commandment at the time Luke wrote concerning the incident and it is still a commandment today.

When God called me, He had someone hand me a booklet "Which Day Is the Christian Sabbath?" I read it and believed it but I realized that I could not keep God's Seventh Day Sabbath. I owned a business and had a Federal job that conflicted with the Sabbath. The next afternoon just before the Sabbath was to begin, I came to my job feeling fine. Right at sunset, God struck me with a sickness that I had to go home sick from work. I was so sick, I staggered to go up and punch out at the time clock. After about three days the sickness left me and I knew it was from God. I told my boss that I could no longer work on the Sabbath and he told me I was basically going to be fired for my decision since I would have to use annual leave to take off on the Sabbath. I tried to shut my business down the next Sabbath and the employee called me just before sunset and said the people who were in the building at the time refused to leave. I told him to just lock the front door and leave. Satan wasn't going to just let me keep ths Sabbath without a fight as you can see. But I did manage to start keeping the Sabbath. (I didn't lose my Federal job over the Sabbath and I sold my business and completed the sale the week I was baptized.) But God has required me to give up many things in my past life as He and Christ have led me out of this present evil world and no doubt there will be many more sacrifices along the way.

This mystery Bablyon that we read about in Revelation 17 is an instrument of Satan the Devil and it is a persecutor of all of us (Revelation 12) who want to obey God and keep His Commandments and Sabbaths.

I say, as recorded in Revelation 18:

Revelation 18:
4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

Wake Up and obey the true God and true Jesus Christ! Keep God's Sabbaths Holy. Render unto God the things that ARE God's. And truly God's Holy Sabbaths are to be kept Holy as He has personally shown me to do!

Wake Up, America! Why will you be destroyed and go into captivity and be made slaves to other nations? We need to obey God and keep all His Commandments and keep His Sabbaths Holy!

Again, I say, Wake Up!!!

Old 09-12-2012, 04:35 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,937,360 times
While travling through grain fields on The Sabbath
Jesus' Disciples also harvested the grain to eat...which was not Lawful to do.
But because the Sabbath was made for Man? And not Man for The Sabbath.
The Son 0f Man Is Lord 0f The Sabbath. - Mark 2:23-28

But you believe The Sabbath was made for God?

Old 09-12-2012, 05:44 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,667,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
While travling through grain fields on The Sabbath
Jesus' Disciples also harvested the grain to eat...which was not Lawful to do.
But because the Sabbath was made for Man? And not Man for The Sabbath.
The Son 0f Man Is Lord 0f The Sabbath. - Mark 2:23-28

But you believe The Sabbath was made for God?
You do not know what this passage means. I will explain it to you...

Mark 2:

23 And it came to pass, that he went through the corn fields on the sabbath day; and his disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn.

24 And the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful?

25 And he said unto them, Have ye never read what David did, when he had need, and was an hungred, he, and they that were with him?

26 How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and gave also to them which were with him?

27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Mercy. That is what Jesus is teaching us about the Sabbath, and what should and should not be acceptable in doing on this sacred and Divine unstitution...this hallowed day. Everything that is done on the Sabbath should be done out of mercy...not a task...not drudgery...and NOT a burden...not something we expect to be compensated for...not something we should expect a favor in return for...and whatever we do, we should not make it these things to ourselves.

Man has needs...and one of them happens to be food when they are hungered. The Pharisees would have rather them starve than to eat some grain in a field...didn't Jesus address this very thing when he was also questioned by the Pharisees about going to get that one lost lamb on the Sabbath...is not meeting the hunger of a human being more important than finding a lost lamb ? Jesus said it is so....and do you recall when Jesus healed the person with the lame hand in the temple on the Sabbath...the Pharisees had a problem with that too...THIS is what Jesus was showing us...the LEGALISM of these "so-called" righteous leaders.... but they were FAR from being righteous. Do you not see the compassion that Jesus is trying to show us here ? No - you don't...you don't see so many things when it comes to the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ because of your unbelief in His every word.

The passage, "Man was not made for the Sabbath" means by keeping it does not make it a service unto God...and he was not commanded to keep it outward observances to his hurt...as in starving...or sick or wounded somehow...and doing nothing to heal the pangs of hunger or the pains of sickness or a wound...this is the day that all these things should be done out of mercy and compassion for your fellow man...it should be done FREE...out of the kindness of one's heart....then it is an act that glorifies God...which is exactly what this day, and what we do on it, is meant to do.

We are to respect the Sabbath Day...keep it holy unto God...and whatever we do, do it out of mercy and compassion.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,150,199 times
Default Lets look at the writings of the ealry 1rst century church leaders

-Since you like to point out the Rome Empire and Constantine of 300AD's as to why the Sabbath was changed which is not in the bible, i will go out the bible as well and show some of the 1rst century writing and will point out what the 1rst century believers and leaders were actually doing.

Ignatius of Antioch, A.D. 110

If those who have been brought up in the ancient order of things [i.e., converted Jews] have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath but living in observance of the Lord's day, on which also our life has sprung up again by him and his death … how shall we [i.e., Gentile converts] be able to live apart from him, when even the prophets themselves—also his disciples— waited for him in the Spirit as their Teacher? (Letter to the Magnesians 9)
It is absurd to profess Christ and to Judaize. For Christianity did not believe into Judaism, but Judaism into Christianity. (Letter to the Magnesians 10)

Pseudo-Barnabas, A.D. 120 - 130
"He rested on the seventh day." This means that when his Son comes again, he shall destroy the wicked man, judge the ungodly, and change the sun, moon, and stars, and then he will truly rest on the seventh day.
In addition, he says, "You shall sanctify it with pure hands and a pure heart." If, therefore, anyone can now sanctify the day which God has sanctified except by being pure in heart in all things, then we are deceived. Behold, therefore, it is certain that we properly rest and sanctify it when we are able to work righteousness because we have received the promise and wickedness no longer exists because all things have been made new by the Lord. Then we shall be able to sanctify it because we are first sanctified ourselves.
Further, he says to them, "Your new moons and Sabbaths I cannot endure." You understand what he's saying. Your present Sabbaths are not acceptable to me, but the Sabbath I have made is. When I give rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day; that is, a beginning of another world. Therefore we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose from the dead. (Letter of Barnabas 15)
Letter to Diognetus, A.D. 80 - 200
But as to their meticulousness concerning foods, their superstition regarding the Sabbaths, their boasting about circumcision, and their fancies about fasting and the new moons--which are utterly ridiculous and unworthy of notice--I do not think you need to learn anything from me. For … to speak falsely of God, as if He forbad us to do what is good on the Sabbath days, how is not this impious? … And as to their observing months and days—as if waiting upon the stars and the moon—and their distributing according to their own tendencies the appointments of God and the vicissitudes of the seasons, some for festivities and others for mourning; who would deem this a part of divine worship and not much rather a manifestation of folly? (ch. 4)

Justin Martyr, c. A.D. 150
And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together in one place … Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world. On the same day, Jesus Christ our Savior rose from the dead. (First Apology 67)
Is there any other matter, my friends, in which we [Christians] are blamed [by the Jews] than this: that we do not live according to the Law, are not circumcised in the flesh as your forefathers were, and do not observe Sabbaths as you do? (Dialogue with Trypho, a Jew 10)
[Trypho, the Jew, speaking] This is what are most at a loss about. You [Christians], professing yourselves to be godly and supposing yourselves better than others, are not separated from them. You do not alter your way of living from that of the nations in that you observe no festivals or Sabbaths and do not have the right of circumcision. (Dialogue with Trypho, a Jew 10)
The new law requires you to keep perpetual Sabbath, and you [Jews], because you are idle for one day, suppose you are godly, not understanding why this command was given to you. if you eat unleavened bread, you say the will of God has been fulfilled. The Lord our God does not take pleasure in such observances. If there is any perjured person or thief among you, let him cease to be so. If any adulterer, let him repent. Then he has kept the sweet and true Sabbaths of God. (Dialogue with Trypho, a Jew 12)
Theophilus, c. A.D. 170
The philosophers, writers, and poets … [spoke] concerning the seventh day, which all men acknowledge , but most do not know that what among the Hebrews is called the Sabbath is translated into Greek the "seventh." It is a name adopted by every nation, although they do not know the reason for the name. (To Autolycus III:12)
Irenaeus, A.D. 183 - 186
We learn from Scripture itself that God gave circumcision … as a sign. … Ezekiel the prophet says the same concerning the Sabbaths: "I gave them my Sabbaths to be a sign between me and them … " … These things, then, were given as a sign, but the signs were not lacking symbolism … since they were given by a wise Artist; the circumcision of the flesh typified that which was of the Spirit. … But the Sabbaths taught that we should continue day by day in God's service. … In addition, the Sabbath of God—that is, the kingdom—was indicated by created things. In this kingdom the man who has persevered in serving God shall, in a state of rest, partake of God's table. (Against Heresies IV:16:1)
Clement of Alexandria, c. A.D. 190
Plato prophetically speaks of the Lord's day in the tenth book of the Republic, in these words: "And when seven days have passed to each of them in the meadow, on the eighth they are to set out and arrive in four days." (Miscellanies V:14; I include this quote because it implies the Lord's day is the eighth day, or Sunday, rather than Saturday or the Sabbath.)
He … according to the Gospel, keeps the Lord’s day when he abandons an evil disposition and assumes that of the Gnostic [Clement believed that Christians were the true gnostics], glorifying the Lord’s resurrection in himself. (Miscellanies VII:12)
Tertullian, c. A.D. 200
We count fasting or kneeling in worship on the Lord's day to be unlawful. (De Corona 3)
The Holy Spirit upbraids the Jews with their holy days. "Your Sabbaths, new moons, and feasts," says he, "my soul hates" [Is. 1:14]. We—to whom Sabbaths are strange, and the new moons and festivals are formerly beloved by God—frequent the Saturnalia, New Year's, and Midwinter's festivals and Matronilia. (On Idolatry 14; This is a complaint about Christians, who wouldn't celebrate Jewish holidays, attending pagan celebrations.)
Others … suppose that the sun is the God of the Christians because it is a well-known fact that we pray towards the east or because we make Sunday a day of festivity. (Ad Nationes 13)
We understand that God's law was before even Moses … subsequently reformed for the patriarchs [i.e., Israel's twelve sons] and so again for the Jews at definite periods. So we are not to give heed to Moses' Law as though it were the primitive Law, but as to a later, which at a definite time God set forth to the Gentiles, too, and—after repeatedly promising to do so through the prophets—has reformed for the better. …
Let us not annul the power God has to reform the Law's precepts in response to the circumstances of the time, with a view to men's salvation. To be specific, let him who contends that the Sabbath is still to be observed as a balm of salvation … teach us that in the past righteous men kept the Sabbath or practiced circumcision and were thus rendered friends of God.
… Since God originated Adam uncircumcised and inobservant of the Sabbath, therefore his offspring, Abel, was commended by [God] when he offered sacrifices both uncircumcised and inobservant of the Sabbath. … Noah also—uncircumcised and, yes, inobservant of the Sabbath—God freed from the deluge. Enoch, too, that most righteous man, while uncircumcised and inobservant of the Sabbath, [God] translated from this world. [Enoch] did not first taste death so that, being a candidate for eternal life, he might in our era show us that we may, without the burden of the Law of Moses, please God. (An Answer to the Jews 2)
The Jews say that from the beginning God sanctified the seventh day by resting on it from all the works which he had made. … From this we Christians understand that we even more ought to observe a Sabbath from all servile work always, and not only every seventh day, but through all time. And through this the question arises for us, what Sabbath did God want us to keep? For the Scriptures point to a Sabbath eternal and a Sabbath temporal. For Isaiah the prophet says, "Your Sabbaths my soul hates" [Is. 1:14] and in another place he says, "My Sabbaths you have profaned" [Ezek. 22:8]. From this we discern that the temporal Sabbath is human, and the eternal Sabbath is considered Divine.
Concerning this he predicts through Isaiah, "'And there shall be,' he says, 'month after month, day after day, and Sabbath after Sabbath, and all flesh shall come to adore in Jerusalem,' says the Lord" [Is. 66:23, LXX]. We understand this to have been fulfilled in the times of Christ when all flesh—that is, every nation—came to adore, in Jerusalem, God the Father through Jesus Christ his Son. … Thus, therefore, before this temporal Sabbath there was an eternal Sabbath foreshown and foretold. (An Answer to the Jews 4)
-As you can see people were worshiping on Sundays long before 300AD and this is written proof. Sabbatarians always point to Constantine but never actually research the entire story to show that all Constantine did was make legal what believers were already been doing for hundreds of years already and not actually just some one day and say worship on Sundays with with Sun God like me.

As for the Council of Nicea, the only decision they made about Sunday was that Passover would be celebrated on the Sunday nearest Nisan 14, rather than on Nisan 14 itself since the big debate was over what day to celebrate it and not over a Saturday cs Sunday issue. The idea that Constantine and the Council of Nicea changed the Sabbath to Sunday from Saturday is simply a myth.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,150,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
You do not know what this passage means. I will explain it to you...

Mark 2:

23 And it came to pass, that he went through the corn fields on the sabbath day; and his disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn.

24 And the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful?

25 And he said unto them, Have ye never read what David did, when he had need, and was an hungred, he, and they that were with him?

26 How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and gave also to them which were with him?

27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Mercy. That is what Jesus is teaching us about the Sabbath, and what should and should not be acceptable in doing on this sacred and Divine unstitution...this hallowed day. Everything that is done on the Sabbath should be done out of mercy...not a task...not drudgery...and NOT a burden...not something we expect to be compensated for...not something we should expect a favor in return for...and whatever we do, we should not make it these things to ourselves.

Man has needs...and one of them happens to be food when they are hungered. The Pharisees would have rather them starve than to eat some grain in a field...didn't Jesus address this very thing when he was also questioned by the Pharisees about going to get that one lost lamb on the Sabbath...is not meeting the hunger of a human being more important than finding a lost lamb ? Jesus said it is so....and do you recall when Jesus healed the person with the lame hand in the temple on the Sabbath...the Pharisees had a problem with that too...THIS is what Jesus was showing us...the LEGALISM of these "so-called" righteous leaders.... but they were FAR from being righteous. Do you not see the compassion that Jesus is trying to show us here ? No - you don't...you don't see so many things when it comes to the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ because of your unbelief in His every word.

The passage, "Man was not made for the Sabbath" means by keeping it does not make it a service unto God...and he was not commanded to keep it outward observances to his hurt...as in starving...or sick or wounded somehow...and doing nothing to heal the pangs of hunger or the pains of sickness or a wound...this is the day that all these things should be done out of mercy and compassion for your fellow man...it should be done FREE...out of the kindness of one's heart....then it is an act that glorifies God...which is exactly what this day, and what we do on it, is meant to do.

We are to respect the Sabbath Day...keep it holy unto God...and whatever we do, do it out of mercy and compassion.

There is no way you can come to that conclusion over those verses, the whole issue wasnt even over if the Sabbath was for the Jew or Gentile. They were accused of doing work which the Pharisees deemed unlawful. The Sabbath was made for man in the same manner as a Car is made for Man and Man is not made to drive the Car. It is a day of rest that was commanded to the children Of Isreal because the were slaves out of Egpyt. The bible repeated says this and reminds them they were once slaves that worked allday everyday, so now they are required a day of rest to focus on God and remember where they once were.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:03 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,940,643 times
Quote:
Luke WAS guided by God's Holy Spirit to record "according to the commandment"...
Yes, Luke was inspired to record this in the narrative, and for good reason too. Like yourself, they whom Luke spoke of were not yet of the faith. They were, subjectively, under law, until faith.

Rom 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

Rom 3:21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
Rom 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Rom 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:25 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,507,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
-Since you like to point out the Rome Empire and Constantine of 300AD's as to why the Sabbath was changed which is not in the bible, i will go out the bible as well and show some of the 1rst century writing and will point out what the 1rst century believers and leaders were actually doing.

Ignatius of Antioch, A.D. 110

If those who have been brought up in the ancient order of things [i.e., converted Jews] have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath but living in observance of the Lord's day, on which also our life has sprung up again by him and his death … how shall we [i.e., Gentile converts] be able to live apart from him, when even the prophets themselves—also his disciples— waited for him in the Spirit as their Teacher? (Letter to the Magnesians 9)
It is absurd to profess Christ and to Judaize. For Christianity did not believe into Judaism, but Judaism into Christianity. (Letter to the Magnesians 10)

Pseudo-Barnabas, A.D. 120 - 130
"He rested on the seventh day." This means that when his Son comes again, he shall destroy the wicked man, judge the ungodly, and change the sun, moon, and stars, and then he will truly rest on the seventh day.
In addition, he says, "You shall sanctify it with pure hands and a pure heart." If, therefore, anyone can now sanctify the day which God has sanctified except by being pure in heart in all things, then we are deceived. Behold, therefore, it is certain that we properly rest and sanctify it when we are able to work righteousness because we have received the promise and wickedness no longer exists because all things have been made new by the Lord. Then we shall be able to sanctify it because we are first sanctified ourselves.
Further, he says to them, "Your new moons and Sabbaths I cannot endure." You understand what he's saying. Your present Sabbaths are not acceptable to me, but the Sabbath I have made is. When I give rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day; that is, a beginning of another world. Therefore we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose from the dead. (Letter of Barnabas 15)
Letter to Diognetus, A.D. 80 - 200
But as to their meticulousness concerning foods, their superstition regarding the Sabbaths, their boasting about circumcision, and their fancies about fasting and the new moons--which are utterly ridiculous and unworthy of notice--I do not think you need to learn anything from me. For … to speak falsely of God, as if He forbad us to do what is good on the Sabbath days, how is not this impious? … And as to their observing months and days—as if waiting upon the stars and the moon—and their distributing according to their own tendencies the appointments of God and the vicissitudes of the seasons, some for festivities and others for mourning; who would deem this a part of divine worship and not much rather a manifestation of folly? (ch. 4)

Justin Martyr, c. A.D. 150
And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together in one place … Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world. On the same day, Jesus Christ our Savior rose from the dead. (First Apology 67)
Is there any other matter, my friends, in which we [Christians] are blamed [by the Jews] than this: that we do not live according to the Law, are not circumcised in the flesh as your forefathers were, and do not observe Sabbaths as you do? (Dialogue with Trypho, a Jew 10)
[Trypho, the Jew, speaking] This is what are most at a loss about. You [Christians], professing yourselves to be godly and supposing yourselves better than others, are not separated from them. You do not alter your way of living from that of the nations in that you observe no festivals or Sabbaths and do not have the right of circumcision. (Dialogue with Trypho, a Jew 10)
The new law requires you to keep perpetual Sabbath, and you [Jews], because you are idle for one day, suppose you are godly, not understanding why this command was given to you. if you eat unleavened bread, you say the will of God has been fulfilled. The Lord our God does not take pleasure in such observances. If there is any perjured person or thief among you, let him cease to be so. If any adulterer, let him repent. Then he has kept the sweet and true Sabbaths of God. (Dialogue with Trypho, a Jew 12)
Theophilus, c. A.D. 170
The philosophers, writers, and poets … [spoke] concerning the seventh day, which all men acknowledge , but most do not know that what among the Hebrews is called the Sabbath is translated into Greek the "seventh." It is a name adopted by every nation, although they do not know the reason for the name. (To Autolycus III:12)
Irenaeus, A.D. 183 - 186
We learn from Scripture itself that God gave circumcision … as a sign. … Ezekiel the prophet says the same concerning the Sabbaths: "I gave them my Sabbaths to be a sign between me and them … " … These things, then, were given as a sign, but the signs were not lacking symbolism … since they were given by a wise Artist; the circumcision of the flesh typified that which was of the Spirit. … But the Sabbaths taught that we should continue day by day in God's service. … In addition, the Sabbath of God—that is, the kingdom—was indicated by created things. In this kingdom the man who has persevered in serving God shall, in a state of rest, partake of God's table. (Against Heresies IV:16:1)
Clement of Alexandria, c. A.D. 190
Plato prophetically speaks of the Lord's day in the tenth book of the Republic, in these words: "And when seven days have passed to each of them in the meadow, on the eighth they are to set out and arrive in four days." (Miscellanies V:14; I include this quote because it implies the Lord's day is the eighth day, or Sunday, rather than Saturday or the Sabbath.)
He … according to the Gospel, keeps the Lord’s day when he abandons an evil disposition and assumes that of the Gnostic [Clement believed that Christians were the true gnostics], glorifying the Lord’s resurrection in himself. (Miscellanies VII:12)
Tertullian, c. A.D. 200
We count fasting or kneeling in worship on the Lord's day to be unlawful. (De Corona 3)
The Holy Spirit upbraids the Jews with their holy days. "Your Sabbaths, new moons, and feasts," says he, "my soul hates" [Is. 1:14]. We—to whom Sabbaths are strange, and the new moons and festivals are formerly beloved by God—frequent the Saturnalia, New Year's, and Midwinter's festivals and Matronilia. (On Idolatry 14; This is a complaint about Christians, who wouldn't celebrate Jewish holidays, attending pagan celebrations.)
Others … suppose that the sun is the God of the Christians because it is a well-known fact that we pray towards the east or because we make Sunday a day of festivity. (Ad Nationes 13)
We understand that God's law was before even Moses … subsequently reformed for the patriarchs [i.e., Israel's twelve sons] and so again for the Jews at definite periods. So we are not to give heed to Moses' Law as though it were the primitive Law, but as to a later, which at a definite time God set forth to the Gentiles, too, and—after repeatedly promising to do so through the prophets—has reformed for the better. …
Let us not annul the power God has to reform the Law's precepts in response to the circumstances of the time, with a view to men's salvation. To be specific, let him who contends that the Sabbath is still to be observed as a balm of salvation … teach us that in the past righteous men kept the Sabbath or practiced circumcision and were thus rendered friends of God.
… Since God originated Adam uncircumcised and inobservant of the Sabbath, therefore his offspring, Abel, was commended by [God] when he offered sacrifices both uncircumcised and inobservant of the Sabbath. … Noah also—uncircumcised and, yes, inobservant of the Sabbath—God freed from the deluge. Enoch, too, that most righteous man, while uncircumcised and inobservant of the Sabbath, [God] translated from this world. [Enoch] did not first taste death so that, being a candidate for eternal life, he might in our era show us that we may, without the burden of the Law of Moses, please God. (An Answer to the Jews 2)
The Jews say that from the beginning God sanctified the seventh day by resting on it from all the works which he had made. … From this we Christians understand that we even more ought to observe a Sabbath from all servile work always, and not only every seventh day, but through all time. And through this the question arises for us, what Sabbath did God want us to keep? For the Scriptures point to a Sabbath eternal and a Sabbath temporal. For Isaiah the prophet says, "Your Sabbaths my soul hates" [Is. 1:14] and in another place he says, "My Sabbaths you have profaned" [Ezek. 22:8]. From this we discern that the temporal Sabbath is human, and the eternal Sabbath is considered Divine.
Concerning this he predicts through Isaiah, "'And there shall be,' he says, 'month after month, day after day, and Sabbath after Sabbath, and all flesh shall come to adore in Jerusalem,' says the Lord" [Is. 66:23, LXX]. We understand this to have been fulfilled in the times of Christ when all flesh—that is, every nation—came to adore, in Jerusalem, God the Father through Jesus Christ his Son. … Thus, therefore, before this temporal Sabbath there was an eternal Sabbath foreshown and foretold. (An Answer to the Jews 4)
-As you can see people were worshiping on Sundays long before 300AD and this is written proof. Sabbatarians always point to Constantine but never actually research the entire story to show that all Constantine did was make legal what believers were already been doing for hundreds of years already and not actually just some one day and say worship on Sundays with with Sun God like me.

As for the Council of Nicea, the only decision they made about Sunday was that Passover would be celebrated on the Sunday nearest Nisan 14, rather than on Nisan 14 itself since the big debate was over what day to celebrate it and not over a Saturday cs Sunday issue. The idea that Constantine and the Council of Nicea changed the Sabbath to Sunday from Saturday is simply a myth.
Excellent

Hopefully someone will begin to understand that
Romans 3:28
For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity