Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 10:40 AM

18,190 posts, read 16,761,399 times

Advertisements

Interesting topic going on in the Main Forum and I thought bringing it over here might elicit a few interesting replies: My take:

Billy Graham, when asked what heaven would be like, replied,

Quote:
It's going to be like paradise. It'll be the -- everything that you ever wanted for happiness will be there. People say that the bible teaches there's no sex in Heaven. If sex is necessary for our happiness and fulfillment, it'll be there. And then, if certain other things that we think are pleasurable will -- it'll be there.
Jonathan Edwards said (who-da-thunk):

Quote:
"God will not begrudge anything as too good for them [Christians in Heaven]; there will be no restraint to his love, no restraint to their enjoyment of himself; nothing will be too full, too inward and intimate for them to be admitted to, but Christ will say to his saints, as in Canticles (a.k.a. Song of Songs or Song of Solomon) 5:1 ‘Eat, O friends, drink, yea, drink abundance, O beloved.’ If we desire to taste all the foods that God has made, will he deny this pleasure to us, who gave His Son to die for us? (Psalms 84:11) God will withhold no good. If we still desire a thing in our new bodies it will be good and it will be granted
So he and Billy Graham, two of our most prominent preachers and theologians were on the same page.

Marriage was instituted after the fall as a result of the fall. Before the fall Adam and Eve were not "married", they were "joined" because the institution of marriage was not around. Nor did God feel a need for marriage. God only felt the need to institute the law of marriage so that His people, the seed of Abraham would keep from committing adultery and fornication in their fallen state. That is the ONLY reason marriage is around---and why it won't be necessary in the new earth where we will reside. In our glorified bodies and in a sin-free condition there won't a need for marriage anymore. That's why Jesus said, "In the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage." People very incorrectly interpret Jesus'words to mean there will be no gender, no romance, no joining of two individuals and sadly, no sex in the afterlife. As one can see you can have all four without marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 10:45 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,701,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Interesting topic going on in the Main Forum and I thought bringing it over here might elicit a few interesting replies: My take:

Billy Graham, when asked what heaven would be like, replied,

Jonathan Edwards said (who-da-thunk):

So he and Billy Graham, two of our most prominent preachers and theologians were on the same page.

Marriage was instituted after the fall as a result of the fall. Before the fall Adam and Eve were not "married", they were "joined" because the institution of marriage was not around. Nor did God feel a need for marriage. God only felt the need to institute the law of marriage so that His people, the seed of Abraham would keep from committing adultery and fornication in their fallen state. That is the ONLY reason marriage is around---and why it won't be necessary in the new earth where we will reside. In our glorified bodies and in a sin-free condition there won't a need for marriage anymore. That's why Jesus said, "In the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage." People very incorrectly interpret Jesus'words to mean there will be no gender, no romance, no joining of two individuals and sadly, no sex in the afterlife. As one can see you can have all four without marriage.
RESPONSE:

As someone pointed out, if there was a promise of sex and beer in heaven, evangelization would be far more successful!

Old 09-16-2012, 10:49 AM

18,190 posts, read 16,761,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

As someone pointed out, if there was a promise of sex and beer in heaven, evangelization would be far more successful!
I hear that!

Old 09-16-2012, 03:40 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,171,259 times
“Many drown out the voice of reason for without the purity of relationships, there would be no growth."

Old 09-16-2012, 06:38 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,841,168 times
Billy Graham has always been a false teacher. I one time heard him claim that eternal life would actually be working on other planets to help the people living on them. Totally made up junk by MR. Graham. Jesus made it very clear. There is no marriage in heaven. People will be like the angels, no marriage and I'm quite sure, no sex.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:56 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,422,192 times
I don't believe we will be physically attracted to anyone in a sexual sense of the word in the afterlife. I believe we will all in spirit in one with our Creator. We will be all or part of His love which we have no way of fully understanding in our present condition.

I see sexual need/pleasure as a human need, not a spiritual need.

jmho

p.s. I have a high level of respect for Billy Graham, same as I do many other believers, with the understanding that not one of us "knows it all"

Old 09-16-2012, 07:59 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,367,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Billy Graham has always been a false teacher. I one time heard him claim that eternal life would actually be working on other planets to help the people living on them. Totally made up junk by MR. Graham. Jesus made it very clear. There is no marriage in heaven. People will be like the angels, no marriage and I'm quite sure, no sex.
Always false teacher?..wow. While the Planet thing is a bit odd, do You want to compare scorecards with Billy Graham on the number of people either of you have brought to Christ? Are all those 1000s people also going to hell in your ultrasuperduperconservomatic fundamentalist view because they listened to this "false teacher?" (probably not that true of your view, but I mostly just wanted to say "ultrasuperduperconservomatic" lol) Btw, Angels (which are most likely the "sons of God") can have sex apparently according to Genesis. If this is true for us in heaven, there just won't be any Nephilem babies as a result this time around

Old 09-16-2012, 08:09 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,846,998 times
In my opinion, by definition Heaven means a perfect paradise. We won't be lacking for anything there and if I were making an educated guess about what God has prepared there for us I'd imagine that sex as we know it will seem rather ho-hum compared to what we will experience/do in Heaven. I believe that sex (and most everything else here) is but a pale comparison to the riches awaiting us heavenly.

Ultimately though, I think it's important to remember that Heaven is about God, not us.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:36 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,422,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
In my opinion, by definition Heaven means a perfect paradise. We won't be lacking for anything there and if I were making an educated guess about what God has prepared there for us I'd imagine that sex as we know it will seem rather ho-hum compared to what we will experience/do in Heaven. I believe that sex (and most everything else here) is but a pale comparison to the riches awaiting us heavenly.

Ultimately though, I think it's important to remember that Heaven is about God, not us.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:01 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,171,259 times
Unless one is born, again; he cannot see the kingdom of heaven.
It’s about humanity, for the Spirit already abides in the heavenly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity