U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 07:24 PM

2,033 posts, read 2,557,724 times

Advertisements

I've often heard it said that one problem with the modern church is that too many believers admire Christ but don't follow him.
I would agree with this: Many Christians are enamored with what Jesus said, what he stood for, and so forth; but far fewer Christians actually follow his words.
Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 07:36 PM

9,675 posts, read 12,120,585 times
Many people admire Jesus as a 'Great ... prophet, teacher, ... religious leader, but, that's not who Jesus was/is or who he said he was. Jesus is God in the flesh ... who came to sacrifice his life on earth to provide the way for mankind to have eternal salvation and life. While that is certainly to be 'admired' ... to stop there is like being 'fond' of one's children, but, not enough to feed or protect them!

God is not seeking 'buddies', 'admirers' or even 'religious proponents' -- He offers life for life through 'the passion of Christ' and seeks nothing less than a passionate commitment in return. Of his 'admirers', Jesus said, "You honor me with your lips, but, your heart is far from me."

Last edited by jghorton; 09-23-2012 at 07:55 PM..

Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 AM

101 posts, read 222,998 times
I agree and there is a book out there that is about this very thing, it's called "Not a Fan". I think everyone should have a copy and read it, it was very eye opening for me as I thought I was a follower but found out I was a mere fan.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:21 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,494,877 times
90% of Christians talk a good talk...but they don't actually walk the walk...which is why so many Christians who actually attempt to walk the walk are now ex-Christians. Just saying...

Last edited by ChristyGrl; 09-24-2012 at 10:30 AM..

Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 AM

9,675 posts, read 12,120,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
90% of Christians talk a good talk...but they don't actually walk the walk...which is why so many former Christians who actually attempt to walk the walk are now ex-Christians. Just saying...
How does one quantitatively determine that 90% of Christians 'talk the talk'... but, '?'don't walk the walk? ... of which 'many' (?) are now 'ex-Christians??

While I agree with you that there are many 'professing Christians' who quickly grow disenchanted with 'religion' and fall away; I've certainly not seen that to be the case with true, 'born again' believers who have discovered a living relationship with Jesus Christ. In fact, quite the contrary is true. As folks grow closer in their relationship with God and knowledge of God's Word, their passion typically increases. .... (But, then, I've only been in ministry for 30+ years) .. Just saying ...

Old 09-24-2012, 10:50 AM

419 posts, read 373,955 times
Quote:
90% of Christians talk a good talk...but they don't actually walk the walk...which is why so many Christians who actually attempt to walk the walk are now ex-Christians. Just saying...
The Bible knows of no such beast as an "ex-Christian". There are many that go to church, read their Bibles, and do what their pastor tells them to do while not actually believing and trusting Christ....and they soon stop going because it's too hard. We call those "false converts".

The same could be said for anyone that, say.....takes music lessons. My 11 year old daughter is in her 3rd year of violin lessons. She has learned to play some, and can read some music....talk the talk......but I don't think she actually LOVES playing music. She likes taking the violin to school, hanging out with the other strings kids, and getting to leave class to go to strings class. But she won't practice on her own and put effort into it without being badgered to do so. As a result, it's too much work for her. She probably won't continue in it.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
How does one quantitatively determine that 90% of Christians 'talk the talk'... but, '?'don't walk the walk? ... of which 'many' (?) are now 'ex-Christians??

While I agree with you that there are many 'professing Christians' who quickly grow disenchanted with 'religion' and fall away; I've certainly not seen that to be the case with true, 'born again' believers who have discovered a living relationship with Jesus Christ. In fact, quite the contrary is true. As folks grow closer in their relationship with God and knowledge of God's Word, their passion typically increases. .... (But, then, I've only been in ministry for 30+ years) .. Just saying ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralMissionary View Post
The Bible knows of no such beast as an "ex-Christian". There are many that go to church, read their Bibles, and do what their pastor tells them to do while not actually believing and trusting Christ....and they soon stop going because it's too hard. We call those "false converts".

The same could be said for anyone that, say.....takes music lessons. My 11 year old daughter is in her 3rd year of violin lessons. She has learned to play some, and can read some music....talk the talk......but I don't think she actually LOVES playing music. She likes taking the violin to school, hanging out with the other strings kids, and getting to leave class to go to strings class. But she won't practice on her own and put effort into it without being badgered to do so. As a result, it's too much work for her. She probably won't continue in it.
When I see a person...LOVING THEIR NEIGHBOR AS THEMSELVES WITH UNCONDITIONAL AGAPE LOVE (without judging anyone for anything but just loving them right where they are)...that person would be considered by me and Jesus as a true Christian. How many true Christians do you know or can you name...I would bet it is very few, if any. And, there will be many Bibleans who will disagree with you...for on this forum alone, the alleged Christians regularly tell people they have fallen away, are lost and are going to hell...is that an unconditional loving response??? I hardly think so and the Source/God that dwells within me agrees.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:28 PM

419 posts, read 373,955 times
Quote:
When I see a person...LOVING THEIR NEIGHBOR AS THEMSELVES WITH UNCONDITIONAL AGAPE LOVE (without judging anyone for anything but just loving them right where they are)...that person would be considered by me and Jesus as a true Christian. How many true Christians do you know or can you name...I would bet it is very few, if any. And, there will be many Bibleans who will disagree with you...for on this forum alone, the alleged Christians regularly tell people they have fallen away, are lost and are going to hell...is that an unconditional loving response??? I hardly think so and the Source/God that dwells within me agrees.
I think you confuse love with acceptance.

A Christian is one that is defined as being "Christ One". He or she trusts Christ as the sacrifice to pay the penalty for their sins. With that comes loving your neighbor--but it's a symptom or result of being a Christian...not the thing that makes one Christian.

A muslim can be very kind and loving. Is he a Christian? I am not aware of any muslims that would think of themselves as Christians.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralMissionary View Post
I think you confuse love with acceptance.

A Christian is one that is defined as being "Christ One". He or she trusts Christ as the sacrifice to pay the penalty for their sins. With that comes loving your neighbor--but it's a symptom or result of being a Christian...not the thing that makes one Christian.

A muslim can be very kind and loving. Is he a Christian? I am not aware of any muslims that would think of themselves as Christians.

Quote:
I'm not confusing anything and I stand by what I said...If we are living through our egoic selves and not through the Source that dwells within us...then we are just living like the rest of the world giving lip service. When you can look at your fellow man (no matter who that may be) and see only God then you will know the truth and THAT truth will truly set you free!

Old 09-24-2012, 02:12 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,868,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
While I agree with you that there are many 'professing Christians' who quickly grow disenchanted with 'religion' and fall away; I've certainly not seen that to be the case with true, 'born again' believers who have discovered a living relationship with Jesus Christ.
I think she's saying (and I'd probably agree) that 90% of what you call 'professing Christians' are not "true, born-again believers".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or