Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 07:41 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob View Post
I am so glad you acknowledge the RCC has strayed away from the very Fundamentals.
I didn't acknowledge anything in the post you quoted. The fundamentals had to do it the way they did so they could bring their interpretation of religion across unpopulated America in covered wagons, bringing just Bibles and not much intellect. That's why it's called fundamentalism.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:34 PM

428 posts, read 330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I didn't acknowledge anything in the post you quoted. The fundamentals had to do it the way they did so they could bring their interpretation of religion across unpopulated America in covered wagons, bringing just Bibles and not much intellect. That's why it's called fundamentalism.
Fundamentalism is standing firm on the true basic foundation of something.

Here is the definition of it from Merriam Webster

Definition of FUNDAMENTAL

a : serving as an original or generating source : primary <a discovery fundamental to modern computers>
b : serving as a basis supporting existence or determining essential structure or function : basic
a : of or relating to essential structure, function, or facts : radical <fundamental change>; also : of or dealing with general principles rather than practical application <fundamental science>
b : adhering to fundamentalism

Now you see Fundamentalism is standing on the real thing which you admit the RCC does not and we do. Point well taken. Thank you!

Old 10-22-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
this sounds like fundamentalist catholic baiting and putting down---not a real quest for answers imo

I understand it's hard to fight against the facts so attack me instead. I recognize that pattern.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
That is 100% wrong. "Saints" are those who we Catholics profess to 100% know are in Heaven. It's not some special power to do something. The canonization process is long and has very specific criteria that must be met.
So if my post was "100% wrong" then you are calling God's word wrong because that's what I was quoting and commenting on. So tell me why do you not thing the bible is correct?

Old 10-22-2012, 08:46 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The reason Catholics ask saints to pray for us is because we KNOW they are in Heaven.
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that you "sincerely believe" them to be in Heaven? It seems like kind of a stretch to say that you know this to be a fact.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:52 PM

Seems I recall in the RCC prayer TO saint Michael they ask him to defend them and doing much more than just pray for them.

Here is how the new version starts:

Quote:
O glorious Archangel St. Michael, Prince of the heavenly host, defend us in battle, and in the struggle which is ours against the principalities and Powers, against the rulers of this world of darkness, against spirits of evil in high places (Eph 6:12). Come to the aid of men, whom God created immortal, made in his own image and likeness, and redeemed at a great price from the tyranny of the devil
Of course it goes on and ends up asking him to pray to God for them but to say that's all it does is ignoring the fact that the above is in that prayer TO St. Michael asking him to defend and too come to the aid of men rather than asking God as Jesus taught us to do.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 PM

Here is a link to Catholic Online on which they provide links to, as they say "prayers to" various saints.

Saint - Prayers - Catholic Online

Look at this prayer TO St. Anne

Quote:
Dearest St. Anne,
it is you I wish to honour

in your statues and images.
They are the tangible representations
of the mysteries of divine love
that were accomplished in you.
The sight of your holding the infant Virgin Mary
brings to my mind a clearer understanding
of your role in Christ's Redemption of mankind.

You are the woman whom God the Father
called to prepare a Mother for His Only Begotten Son.
This little Virgin in your arm
will soon grow to be the mother of the Son of God.
Because you are her Mother,
you share in her privileges.
The amazing mystery of the Immaculate Conception
was accomplished within your body.
When time came, you gave birth to Mary.
Then, you prepared her for the dazzling role
of Mother of God which was to be hers.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 PM

A lot more than just asking St. Joseph to pray for you in this prayer TO St. Joseph as the Catholics call it.

Quote:
Farmer's Prayer to Saint Joseph

O glorious St. Joseph,
foster father of Jesus,
you did provide for the Holy Family.
We commit to your protection all our crops and farm
industries.

Deign, we beseech you, to intercede in our behalf
with Almighty God,
Who rules the seasons,
so that our fields being safe from pests and favored by
the weather
may yield abundant crops
that will allow us to supply the wants of life.
Thus freed from earthly worries
may we after your example
apply all our thoughts to eternal life.

We beseech you
to instill a love of the land into the hearts of our youth
for their own salvation and that of Christian unity
so that we may all share hereafter
in the same blissful life you enjoy in heaven

Amen.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob View Post
Here is a link to Catholic Online on which they provide links to, as they say "prayers to" various saints.
BFD.

Saints led exemplary lives, or even laid down their lives. Have you?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
BFD.

Saints led exemplary lives, or even laid down their lives. Have you?
If you can't handle the topic then just bow out. I understand.

But we are not discussing the so-called "saints" or their lives in this thread. But if Catholics pray to them or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity