U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:38 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,417,712 times

Advertisements

Is this a fact or a misconception?

I'm told that Christians believe one of the things that Catholics have "wrong" is that they pray to Saints.
If you are a Catholic, do you pray to Saints? If you are a Christian, have you been taught which things the Catholics are doing "incorrectly"?
Rate this post positively

Old 10-19-2012, 03:53 PM

20,864 posts, read 24,882,596 times
A very user-friendly answer to your question:

Mark P. Shea: Saints: Our Unseen Prayer Partners

Old 10-19-2012, 09:27 PM

428 posts, read 295,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Is this a fact or a misconception?

I'm told that Christians believe one of the things that Catholics have "wrong" is that they pray to Saints.
If you are a Catholic, do you pray to Saints? If you are a Christian, have you been taught which things the Catholics are doing "incorrectly"?
Well first of all the term "Saints" means totally different things to Christians and Catholics. God's word say's all Christians are "Saints" but the RCC thinks they have some special power to make someone a Saint after they are dead. This of course is not true but they teach it anyway.

As far praying to the dead (what the RCC calls "saints") Gods word say's this "There shall not be found among you anyone....... who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord.

The New Testament tells us that Jesus is interceding for us. So why would we need to try and contact the dead and ask them to do what Jesus is doing for us?

This cannot be explained away. To do so is acting as a medium or spiritist and scripture say's that's not a good thing.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:48 PM

9 posts, read 12,080 times
"....but the RCC thinks they have some special power to make someone a Saint after they are dead......"

Oh, Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy!! So mistaken!

The RCC does * NOT * believe that we can make someone a saint after they are dead.

We believe that all souls who have gained admittance to the Kingdom are saints, i.e., "those who have gone before us marked with the sign of faith, and are now at rest."

What I *think* you are referring to is the process called "canonization". Canonization does not "make" someone a saint. Avoiding a lot of technical terms, a simple explanation is as follows: canonization is the process by which the RCC declares that, upon proper investigation, the church has determined that a particular soul has, in fact, made it into heaven, and now enjoys the presence of God forever.

Obviously, there are millions (billions?) of other souls that are also enjoying that presence; it's not that they are not saints (they are), it's just that the church has not undertaken the process to declare it formally.

============

As to your other comments, please see the link that Mark so gracefully provided. Says it far better than I could!

Peace!!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:04 PM

260 posts, read 344,682 times
We are all saints in God's eye who belives in the son of man and those same believers are a child of God all others are His creation. Let's stop here though and give some slack to our Catholic brothers and sisters. Catholicism is what it is a religion and christian. They have many means by which they achieve a relationship with God . Much to do with adoration ,respect,honor and love,ceremony so let them have their space and let scripture accompanied by the Holy Spirit refine their faithand ours. God bless all catholics! We non catholics need to retune our own walk, and control our arrogance, and self righteousness and if we call ourselves christian make sure it's beyond a title.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:34 AM

9,242 posts, read 8,753,231 times
You can pray to the saints , But saints of God will never give an answer to any of their prayer.......Saints are not dead , for God is a God of the living , so the saints of God are alive on the earth and in heaven....See people can become a saint on the earth when they turn to Jesus and then they become anointed with Jesus Holy Spirit, where they still have to endure to the end of their lives to be collected to be sent to heaven where they will continue to be a saint there....... See when you pray to a saint of Jesus , you can only ask them to pray for you or others , which these saints of Jesus give honor to Jesus and His identity of Jesus name , then Holy Spirit will judge the prayer to be answered or pass , where Holy spirit and him alone can answer any prayers through God power ....... The praying for the saints prayers can be dry of any answers from Holy Spirit if Jesus image is missing , And the saints of heaven can pray all the time for the earth and the times But their prayers will never be released for answered to the earth as Jesus needs the saints of the earth to pray first for release of answers as the will of man in the earth has the only authority in the earth to pray for the earth .... So saints of the earth can pray to the Heavenly Father with Jesus name , and they can pray to the Heavenly Father for Jesus and His saints prayers ...

Old 10-21-2012, 08:42 AM

198 posts, read 241,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousdisciple View Post
"....but the RCC thinks they have some special power to make someone a Saint after they are dead......"

The RCC does * NOT * believe that we can make someone a saint after they are dead.

We believe that all souls who have gained admittance to the Kingdom are saints, i.e., "those who have gone before us marked with the sign of faith, and are now at rest."

What I *think* you are referring to is the process called "canonization". Canonization does not "make" someone a saint. Avoiding a lot of technical terms, a simple explanation is as follows: canonization is the process by which the RCC declares that, upon proper investigation, the church has determined that a particular soul has, in fact, made it into heaven, and now enjoys the presence of God forever.

Obviously, there are millions (billions?) of other souls that are also enjoying that presence; it's not that they are not saints (they are), it's just that the church has not undertaken the process to declare it formally.

============

As to your other comments, please see the link that Mark so gracefully provided. Says it far better than I could!

Peace!!

I'm usure I understand what you mean. What is marked with the sign of faith, and how do you know who's markded?
Please excuse my forwardness, but this sounds absolutely ridiculous to me. "Upon proper investigation, the CHURCH has determined a soul has made it into heaven" Who gives the "church" authority to investigate and determine who makes it into heaven? Where can you find this authority in God's holy word, the bible?

Old 10-21-2012, 11:23 AM

14,743 posts, read 31,666,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbidave View Post
We non catholics need to retune self righteousness and if we call ourselves christian make sure it's beyond a title.
Not all non-Catholic Christians. Many are just fine. It's the ones who profess to be "holier than thou" and wave a banner that are annoying.

The saints are with God. Their lives were all about making a contribution, withstanding adversity, and oftentimes meeting a violent death in the name of Christ. The stories of the martyred saints are fascinating, and most (Catholic) Christians think to themselves "not so sure if I could do that..."

Yes, some Catholics do pray to God THROUGH the saints. Any prayer would include reference to God and intercession, and not be a prayer only to that saint. The other thing is that each of the saints often represents a particular area of concern, often based on how and why they were martyred, or the particular ministry they had when alive, and that's why some people have a "favorite" saint. Based on something that happened to him, there is a patron saint of cancer, but I forgot his name, since it's not an ordinary one.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:17 PM

25,912 posts, read 26,732,342 times
Quote:

============

Peace!!
Just goes to show how frequently we misinterpret one another's beliefs. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:47 PM

428 posts, read 295,506 times
Quote:

============

Peace!!
OK, I misunderstood. So the RCC believe you can conjure up any dead person by praying to them rather than God. Still a forbidden practice according to scripture. But why let that stop you? Who need scripture when you have the "Pope".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.