Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:46 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

Isaiah 29:13

Quote:
Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men
And this is from the original "Pure Cambridge" King James Bible, the "inerrant" Word of God!

Yes, it seems true more than ever that evil men have taught other men to fear God through their man-made system of beliefs. We've witnessed it in here, haven't we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 03:11 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Isaiah 29:13

And this is from the original "Pure Cambridge" King James Bible, the "inerrant" Word of God!

Yes, it seems true more than ever that evil men have taught other men to fear God through their man-made system of beliefs. We've witnessed it in here, haven't we?
Men always fear the unknown. Christendom believes for the best part that God is up in the sky somewhere unknown.

Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize Christ Jesus is in you--unless, of course, you fail the test?

Faith as no fear.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:20 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
No, God has taught men to fear God. The following are the works of Jesus, the Son of God.
Lk 12:4 "I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more.
Lk 12:5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:23 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
If one is practicing a religion that teaches you to "fear" anything...perhaps it's time to find a new religion. Just saying...

Old 10-12-2012, 06:46 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
No, God has taught men to fear God. The following are the works of Jesus, the Son of God.
Lk 12:4 "I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more.
Lk 12:5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.

It's sad how many people quit reading at that point and never go any further. Here's the next 2 verses Parson:

Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God.

Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:45 AM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It's sad how many people quit reading at that point and never go any further. Here's the next 2 verses Parson:

Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God.

Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows.
Fear not. Right on, Pleroo.

1 john 4:18
-There is no fear where love exists. Rather, perfect love banishes fear, for fear involves punishment, and the person who lives in fear has not been perfected in love

-There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear, because fear is by suspicion, but he who fears is not grown up in love.

-No fear exists where his love is. Rather, perfect love gets rid of fear, because fear involves punishment. The person who lives in fear doesn't have perfect love.

-Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love

Old 10-12-2012, 11:53 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
If you read these texts in their context, you will find that one of the problems for the unbelieving world is that they don't have fear for God, and at the same time, it is only the true believers that live in fear, which we might also call, honor or respect. This is why unbelievers reject God's commandments and do what they please. They don't fear his judgment.
Ro 3:18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”
Mal 3:5 “So I will come near to you for judgment. I will be quick to testify against sorcerers, adulterers and perjurers, against those who defraud laborers of their wages, who oppress the widows and the fatherless, and deprive aliens of justice, but do not fear me,” says the LORD Almighty.

This text is Proverbs 1 is an example where is shows the wise, the true believers in God do have fear/respect/ honor.
Pr 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. This is also shown here in the book of Hebrews when it describes Noah has having "Holy Fear".

Heb 11:7 By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.
Yes, Christians can live in faith toward God, not fearing His wrath, but part of being a Christian is also living in respect and trust that His will is best and so we try to conform our lives, words, actions, and hearts to His will and His ways.
]
Rev 14:7 He said in a loud voice, “Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come. Worship him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea and the springs of water.” “Praise our God, all you his servants,you who fear him, both small and great!”

Plero: I'm well aware of what it says after, but the problem for Christianity today is that it thinks salvation is all just God's love and forgiveness, and they run with it like its a license to do all kinds of evil, and they have no interest in being repenting and getting sin out of their lives. That's not a good formula for salvation, because the Bible makes it very clear that we cannot do that.
Ro 8:12 Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it Ro 8:13 For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live,

Last edited by augiedogie; 10-12-2012 at 12:01 PM..

Old 10-12-2012, 12:11 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Parson, you have every right to use other texts to interpret the words attributed to Jesus -- "FEAR NOT" -- in such a way that they actually mean "FEAR".

OR, you can interpret the words attributed to others in light of Jesus' "FEAR NOT" and see where that takes you.

I've tried it both ways, and find that the former does not lead to life or "salvation", but rather to "hell". Ymmv.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:17 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
If you don't fear God, you certainly won't make it to Heaven.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:19 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
If you don't fear God, you certainly won't make it to Heaven.
Do you believe that God loves you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity