Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 AM

4 posts, read 4,094 times

Advertisements

Key:
Kingdom Hall = their church
Ministry = group activity in which you meet up in a residential area and then split up and start knocking on doors to spread the word.

I'm now 20 years old, but back when I was ~12 I asked my family if I could stop attending "The Kingdom Hall" and stop going on "the Ministry".

A few weeks ago I had a flashback of a private meeting I had with an Elder at the Kingdom Hall. It was something I had completely forgotten about but I now realise how pivotal it was.

I was with my mother and she asked the man if I could accept blood. And even though I was having quite a serious operation the man said I had to have "Bloodless surgery". Thankfully my mother disagreed.

I think this meeting was part of the reason my family felt strain in their beliefs, and why many of us left the religion.

Do you think it is fair that Jehovah's Witnesses are legally allowed to stop their children from taking blood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 12:15 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,417 times
i really dont know why they would stop their child from taking blood through transfusion. I am sure they have their reason. The thing that i see as not fair is that people have to go to some leader for such a situation. Go to God for such a serious case. The good thing is that your mom didnt listen.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:35 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweekDash View Post
Key:
Ministry = group activity in which you meet up in a residential area and then split up and start knocking on doors to spread the word.

I'm now 20 years old, but back when I was ~12 I asked my family if I could stop attending "The Kingdom Hall" and stop going on "the Ministry".

A few weeks ago I had a flashback of a private meeting I had with an Elder at the Kingdom Hall. It was something I had completely forgotten about but I now realise how pivotal it was.

I was with my mother and she asked the man if I could accept blood. And even though I was having quite a serious operation the man said I had to have "Bloodless surgery". Thankfully my mother disagreed.

I think this meeting was part of the reason my family felt strain in their beliefs, and why many of us left the religion.

Do you think it is fair that Jehovah's Witnesses are legally allowed to stop their children from taking blood?

In most states they are not permitted to do this. I was an RN for 17 years. The protocol was if the parents were practicing JWs, an emergency call was maid to Child Protective Services and custody of the child, for the time that the child was ill and needed blood was transferred to the state.

After the surgery, the child was summarily returned to the parents. In this way the parents never needed to make a choice that was against their faith, and the child's life was saved.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,184,745 times
Quote:
Key:

JW's have waffled on this at times. I believe they do allow it, now.

Having said that, I would have some questions about the surgery, the reason for it, etc..etc. If a kid was, say, injured in a car accident and it was absolutely sure that a blood transfusion would save him? I would tend to think that he should be given the blood.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:00 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
In most states they are not permitted to do this. I was an RN for 17 years. The protocol was if the parents were practicing JWs, an emergency call was maid to Child Protective Services and custody of the child, for the time that the child was ill and needed blood was transferred to the state.

After the surgery, the child was summarily returned to the parents. In this way the parents never needed to make a choice that was against their faith, and the child's life was saved.

Sounds like a great way to handle this situation. There is such a fine line, I'm always on the fence in my opinion when hearing about these situations.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Sounds like a great way to handle this situation. There is such a fine line, I'm always on the fence in my opinion when hearing about these situations.
It is. And actually most of the parents were fine with the whole process. They knew what would happen and they wanted their child to live - just not to be the ones making that choice.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:08 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
i really dont know why they would stop their child from taking blood through transfusion. I am sure they have their reason. The thing that i see as not fair is that people have to go to some leader for such a situation. Go to God for such a serious case. The good thing is that your mom didnt listen.
The reason is that Hashem commanded that you shall not eat the blood of any living thing for the life is in the blood, in their thinking this includes transfusions...IOW, they will not 'intake' blood in any fashion...

Old 12-07-2012, 09:00 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It is. And actually most of the parents were fine with the whole process. They knew what would happen and they wanted their child to live - just not to be the ones making that choice.
Now that makes sense!

Old 05-31-2013, 09:29 AM

382 posts, read 588,199 times
Quote:
Key:

They lose every time in court when it comes to kids. They can as adults refuse blood and I had a cousin by marriage die in child birth for not taking blood. The cult has a group of elders who will at a moments notice run to a hospital to reinforce your derision to not take blood. I have seen them stand by a bed and say stay strong and even if you die, Jehovah will reward your faith, as the Dr. is saying they need to administer blood.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:43 PM

123 posts, read 166,460 times
I have a family member who was given up for adoption as an infant. She was raised by JW and then at the age of 20 she needed a blood transfusion and refused. Unfortunately she passed away. Very sad, but she was an adult. However, when she was given up our family was told she would be put in a "Christian" home. People are ignorant that this is a cult, not just a regular denom. This was almost 25 years ago, not sure if things have changed, but it doesn't seem like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity