Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:39 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
There has always been a line of people who need the assurance of rules to live by where Christians have the freedom to find how best to express the love they have for God and His creation. The "New Covenant" has a "New Commandment." No wonder Paul was amazed at the people who wanted to go back under law.

Rules can be a convenient guide to appropriate behavior, but there is no rule in the NT that is binding as a law on Christians. This is what Paul was saying when he said that for him all things were lawful, but not all things were expedient or uplifting.

Often when I try to explain this to people they say something like, "You mean there is no law against murder?" And I have to say, "No, you are perfectly free to murder anyone you can murder in love."
Well said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 830,425 times
Quote:
There has always been a line of people who need the assurance of rules to live by where Christians have the freedom to find how best to express the love they have for God and His creation. The "New Covenant" has a "New Commandment." No wonder Paul was amazed at the people who wanted to go back under law.

Rules can be a convenient guide to appropriate behavior, but there is no rule in the NT that is binding as a law on Christians. This is what Paul was saying when he said that for him all things were lawful, but not all things were expedient or uplifting.

Often when I try to explain this to people they say something like, "You mean there is no law against murder?" And I have to say, "No, you are perfectly free to murder anyone you can murder in love."
You can fool yourself, but please do not fool others

Old 03-19-2013, 10:57 AM

376 posts, read 419,422 times
(Matt 22:37) And Jesus said to him, Thou shall love Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind.

(Matt 22:38) This is the first and great commandment.

(Matt 22:39) And the second is like it, Thou shall love thy neighbor as thyself.

(Matt 22:40) On these two commandments hang all the law, and the prophets.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:01 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Default person

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post

There has to be some sort of law, otherwise there is no sin.
There is: "That you love one another even as I have loved you." Interesting notes on that when we also have "to him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin."

As for how to love your fellow man, I think "agape" is best translated as having concern for the well-being of the person(s) loved.

Following Torah may be a good guide to forms of expression, but in the end, all it is is forms.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:01 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
I believe in keeping God's commandments out of love and belief in Him. See John 14:15. Additionally, Paul does not advocate doing away with the laws of God either. He simply points out the law cannot save us but rather that it is the grace of God through faith that assures us salvation.

Romans 3:31 Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.

The purpose of the law is to point out sin, to show us what is wrong in the eyes of God. And as the verses state, all will not be fulfilled until heaven and earth pass away. So God's law (not the law of moses/ordinances - see Colossians 2) is very much valid in my understanding, but it is grace through faith by which we receive the gift of salvation.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 03-19-2013 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-19-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
I could be wrong, what did Paul mean by saying that "all things are lawful"
Why did Augustine conclude that we should love God and do what we please?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Zur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I was talking about this yesterday with a couple of people and they did ask a good question.

How do we Love God?
How do we love one another/Love they neighbor?

Their response was by doing Torah is he answer to those 2 questions.
I agree to an extent since there has to be some guideline to follow and disagree many OT laws impossible to do since there is no temple now and he cermonial and sacrificial laws are done away with.

Like it or not, we Christians still do follow many of the OT laws. None of us would have sex with your boyfriend/girlfriend and their mother/father at the same time, have sex with your cousin, have sex with a woman on their period, or an animal as this goes against the laws of sexual morality.

As for the dietary laws, of the 30+ unclean listed foods, Christians do follow those guidelines, outside of pork/shellfish/catfish and maybe 1-2 others.

There has to be some sort of law, otherwise there is no sin.
Do you think to have sex with your boyfriend/girlfriend is not a sin? What is the difference to the others. The law shows you what sin is. But as Christians we are not under the law of Moses, but the laws of the NT are to be kept. If we do not forgive from our heart, we are not forgiven. If we do not confess our sins, God is not forgiving us and cleanses us from all unrightousness. Salvation is a gift without works, the OT did not have. But to remain in Christ we have to love God and our neighbor. In the OT a sinner was stoned of 2 or 3 witnesses. In the NT he can repent and be cleansed by the blood of the lamb.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Zur

Quote:
I could be wrong, what did Paul mean by saying that "all things are lawful"
Why did Augustine conclude that we should love God and do what we please?
We cannot follow Augustin, the bible says, who follows man (flesch) is cursed, we cannot even follow our own understanding, it is also cursed. There is no other authority than the word of God, otherwise we cannot stand in the judgement seat of Christ.
Paul says that all things are lawful unto him (1. Cor 6:12+10:23). He says in 1. Cor 9:21 that he is not without law to God, but under the law of Christ, as a pharesee he knows to handle the law. He is a Jew to the Jew by the law of Moses and a Gentile to the Gentiles without the law. "All things that are lawful" for us Paul clearifies in Rom 2:12 :"For as many have sinned without law shall also perish without law". This verse you quoted is not a licence for sin!
God bless!

Old 03-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Zur

Quote:

Old 03-19-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
We cannot follow Augustin, the bible says, who follows man (flesch) is cursed, we cannot even follow our own understanding, it is also cursed. There is no other authority than the word of God, otherwise we cannot stand in the judgement seat of Christ.
Paul says that all things are lawful unto him (1. Cor 6:12+10:23). He says in 1. Cor 9:21 that he is not without law to God, but under the law of Christ, as a pharesee he knows to handle the law. He is a Jew to the Jew by the law of Moses and a Gentile to the Gentiles without the law. "All things that are lawful" for us Paul clearifies in Rom 2:12 :"For as many have sinned without law shall also perish without law". This verse you quoted is not a licence for sin!
God bless!
I am not following Augustine, I am merely pointing out that he also reached the obvious conclusion. I'm sorry, but your "explanation" in the second paragraph did not make a lick of sense to me. Can you go over it point by point with maybe some illustration?

No, the verse I quoted is not a license for sin, it is an explanation that law is not the basis for relating to God or our fellow man. Yes, there are some who don't understand the application and much of Paul'[s discourse to the Corinthians addresses that failure to understand and the license some thought it gave them. There IS a very real basis for relation as I have said before; it is always about concern for the well-being of all parties involved. The spirit all followers of Christ should have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity