Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:48 AM

473 posts, read 817,029 times

Advertisements

Timothy4:1
I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;---(Is this those that have been made quickening spirits?)
2 preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long-suffering and doctrine.
***3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;--(Those who teach for praise and pats on the back leaning on their own understanding without understanding what Love truly is---without giving credit for their knowledge, where credit is due.)
4 and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.-(read and seek God in he Bible for yourselves)
5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
6 ¶ For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
8 henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,583,398 times
It means hearing the things you want to hear, and ignoring the things you need to hear. Basically making your own doctrine.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,738,790 times
A story is told about the Educational system after the Civil war -- Upon being asked whether he taught that the world was flat or round, a prospective teacher asked, "Which do you prefer; I can teach either." To me, that typifies the "itching ears 'syndrome" that seems so prevalent today. Rather than diligently searching the scriptures for God's truth, many instead seem to decide what they want to believe ... and then look for passages to support their preference, while ignoring those that do not. This forum is full of such examples.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:49 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,650,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
It means hearing the things you want to hear, and ignoring the things you need to hear. Basically making your own doctrine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
A story is told about the Educational system after the Civil war -- Upon being asked whether he taught that the world was flat or round, a prospective teacher asked, "Which do you prefer; I can teach either." To me, that typifies the "itching ears 'syndrome" that seems so prevalent today. Rather than diligently searching the scriptures for God's truth, many instead seem to decide what they want to believe ... and then look for passages to support their preference, while ignoring those that do not. This forum is full of such examples.
Amen.... to you both !!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:11 AM

8,084 posts, read 6,834,891 times
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Teachings that feed the flesh, not the spirit.

Such as, teaching that some (or most) people will be going to a place of eternal torment rather than into the arms of a loving Father. This is a teaching that feeds the flesh because it encourages vengeance and unforgiveness. The flesh does not WANT to love. The flesh turns away from Love and all that it entails. Itching ears... immediate gratification. The Spirit is pushed aside, the flesh consumes voraciously.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,416,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
Timothy4:1
I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;---(Is this those that have been made quickening spirits?)
2 preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long-suffering and doctrine.
***3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;--(Those who teach for praise and pats on the back leaning on their own understanding without understanding what Love truly is---without giving credit for their knowledge, where credit is due.)
4 and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.-(read and seek God in he Bible for yourselves)
5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
6 ¶ For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
8 henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
A good example will be post #4 and any subsequent equivalent to it.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:19 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,467,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Such as, teaching that some (or most) people will be going to a place of eternal torment rather than into the arms of a loving Father. This is a teaching that feeds the flesh because it encourages vengeance and unforgiveness. The flesh does not WANT to love. The flesh turns away from Love and all that it entails. Itching ears... immediate gratification. The Spirit is pushed aside, the flesh consumes voraciously.
Gads! If anything, the teaching that there is no hell falls into the catagory of hearing what you want to believe. (Yes, let's make up doctrine and call it truth)

Last edited by Mr5150; 01-15-2013 at 10:39 AM..

Old 01-15-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Gads! If anything, the teaching that there is no hell falls into the catagory of hearing what you want to believe. (Yes, let's make up doctrine and call truth)

What about God loving you? Does that fall into the category of hearing what you want to believe?
What about Jesus being raised from the dead? Does that fall into the category of hearing what you want to believe?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Makes me feel good to believe that no one goes to hell. If anything the "no one goes to hell" is a feel good theology.

As to God's love and Jesus raised from the dead, well my friend, those facts are pretty well spelled out in the NT and one does not have to change the meaning of words to arrive at that conclusion.
Moderator cut: Off topic

Is God's love a "feel good theology"? What you are saying is not making any sense. If something makes you "feel good", it's automatically not true?

The subject is itching ears.

butafter their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Last edited by june 7th; 01-17-2013 at 05:57 AM..

Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 AM

5,965 posts, read 6,972,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

Yep, and it teaches that you can withhold grace from those you don't like - the flesh loves that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity