Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 01:47 PM

229 posts, read 337,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelleycandy View Post
Go for it I did recently and I wasn't pressured into anything I just learned what the bible said!! It was fun!!
Everyone's situation is different and like any Christian sect you have some good and bad. Some JW's are very relaxed and non pressuring and some are very aggressive and scare people away like they did with a friend who was told to get baptized ASAP or die with this world. Some who study with others are very boring and bland that lose their students interest and some teach in a way that the gift of teaching is evident and as Kelley said more enjoyable. I learned from visiting congregations in many Christian sects around the US that some followers have thumper qualities that deter not encourage and some that show such love/ understanding that it shows God touches many and not just in one sect.

I knew an elder that told someone that wanted to stay in their org while studying with JW's that staying at their church was returning to their vomit and needed to leave it or die with BTG. Another elder when told I was stepping aside from the organization but worshiping with another Christian organization said while they were sad I was leaving he was impressed with my well thought out but respectful nature. He agreed on a few issues I had and said they were not apostate views and wished me well but encouraged me to continue to serve God, which I have to this day. The latter is not usually uttered by elders but did make me appreciate God touching ones differently than others.

Bottom line though is anyone valuing bible education should never be discouraged to seek out such ones offering. If the person is a JW good. If they are another sincere Christian sect that is offering good, the key is always seeking truth and not having our ears tickled. (2 Tim 4:3) At this point however NO CHRISTIAN SECT ran by man has absolute truths so we're told to continue to use the bible as our guide, going to God in prayer to help understand deeper things while taking advantage of more experienced ones to help us in our bible education.

We know about the Eunuch who was taught and baptized by Philip while more than likely never running into Philip again or joining his congregation but no doubt encouraged and shared his positive message and we can only speculate someone that might be remembered when the resurrection of the dead starts. Although I am not a JW anymore I do give credit where due and appreciate and share the bible knowledge I gained the same way I have from other Christians not JW's. God allowed ALL to gain his favor, learn his will and forgiveness of sins not from us but by the sacrifice from his Son. (Acts 10:34,35.) Those of us that teach are not given authority or to think more of ourselves or claim exclusivity to God since he could make the stones cry out so really why should we gloat? We are only humble bible students, no more no less, who volunteer to share his word until his return and choose to serve him over the current god of this world.

Last edited by MichaelDante; 04-22-2015 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 06:02 AM

97 posts, read 55,638 times
Be assured that JWs help anyone learn whats in their Bible. Fine if you dont want to be a witness. I tell people I hoped to be a secretary when I was a high school. I did com prac and English and typing. When I left school I didnt become a secretary. Its the same with learning the Bible. The difference is it can help you cope better and the knowledge benefits you forever. You are making an informed choice for you. Whether you become a JW or not. It's free and no obligation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity