Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 11:39 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,312,865 times

Advertisements

I believe that the Bible, especially the New Testament, is the final authority for determining all doctrines,.
I believe that the majority of denominations in our day subscribe to the “Once Saved, Always Saved” doctrine. But Jesus says in the parable of the sower in Luke 8: [13] They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and THESE HAVE NO ROOT, WHICH FOR A WHILE BELIEVE, and in time of temptation FALL AWAY. [14] And that which fell among thorns are they, which, WHEN THEY HAVE HEARD, GO FORTH, AND ARE CHOKED WITH CARES AND RICHES AND PLEASURES OF THIS LIFE, and bring no fruit to perfection.
[15] But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, KEEP IT, and bring forth fruit with patience.
[Only the seeds that fell on good ground brought forth “fruits worthy of repentance” see Luke 3:8.]
Our Savior taught very strict standards for those who truly desire to be His followers. For example Matt. 10: [37] He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. [38] And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. Also in Luke 14: [33] So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he CANNOT be my disciple. [A well-versed Bible scholar says that the Greek word for CANNOT is almost identical to being unable to get on an airplane flight which has been canceled.]
Jesus also said in Matt. 10: [22] And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but HE THAT ENDURETH TO THE END SHALL BE SAVED. [Likewise we read in Rev. 21: 27] And there shall in no wise enter into it [the kingdom of heaven] any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.
Almost all preachers of our day shy away from emphasizing the words of Christ which He said in John 14: [15] If ye love me, keep my commandments. [Also the words in 1 John 2: [3] And HEREBY WE DO KNOW THAT WE KNOW HIM, IF WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. [4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. We read in Matt. 22: [37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. [38] THIS IS THE FIRST AND GREAT COMMANDMENT. [39] And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. [40] On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. See also Matt. 7: [21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but HE THAT DOETH THE WILL OF MY FATHER WHICH IS IN HEAVEN.
Almost all preachers in our day tell their congregations that everyone who believes on Christ as their Savior receives the gift of the Holy Spirit. But Peter and the other Apostles said in Acts 5:32 that God gives the Holy Ghost to those WHO OBEY HIM. I believe that God and His Son do not desire anyone to perish, as we read in 2 Peter 3: [9] The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, NOT WILLING THAT ANY SHOULD PERISH, but that all should come to repentance. Whenever we seek the Lord as in Jeremiah 29: [13] And ye shall seek me, and find me, WHEN YE SHALL SEARCH FOR ME WITH ALL YOUR HEART, [we are then furnishing the Lord with good ground, with a mind to do the will of the Father, and ask for Him to give us the Holy Spirit.] This makes it possible for us to keep the seemingly impossible commands of our Savior. We cannot do these things in our natural strength, since we are as the prophet Isaiah says in chapter 64:[6] All our righteousnesses are as filthy rags. [After we accept Christ as our Savior, if we trust Him with all our heart and beg Him to give us that Holy Spirit, He can lead us to grow in our Spiritual walk with Christ.
Paul says in Gal. 5: [19] Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, [20] Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,[21] Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: OF THE WHICH I TELL YOU BEFORE, AS I HAVE ALSO TOLD YOU IN TIME PAST, THAT THEY WHICH DO SUCH THINGS SHALL NOT INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD [Consider how far many professing “Christians” have strayed from Biblical teachings by having sex outside of marriage, having abortions, and endorsing homosexuality, to name just a few of the sins mentioned by Paul.]
Paul continues in Gal. 5:[22] But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,[23] Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. Also remember the words of James 2: [13] FOR HE SHALL HAVE JUDGMENT WITHOUT MERCY, THAT HATH SHEWED NO MERCY; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment. [If we truly have the Holy Spirit richly abiding within us, we certainly will have a forgiving nature.]
I believe if we fail to teach what Jesus Himself taught, we do ourselves and others a great dis-service. Our eternal salvation is at stake.
Jesus gives us the invitation in Rev.3: [20] Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: IF ANY MAN HEAR MY VOICE, AND OPEN THE DOOR, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Last edited by Robert M Prince; 05-18-2015 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 07:20 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Congratulations! I pray this self-proclamation will bring you to a greater understanding of life.
I know, most people would end the previous sentence with GOD, but what or rather who is GOD—if not LIFE?
Such a magnanimous proclamation must surely symbolize your FAITH in the word. Such confidence and vainglorious belief has to be the result of years of dedication and compliance with the law, even from a very young age.

Though I do wonder is such a lengthy statement intended to draw praise or is it more to secure one’s place in the room of persecution? A means of solidifying internalized feelings of psychological crucifixion, whether real or imagined?

Does anyone ever really know the heart of God?

Does anyone ever really know if their faith brings a smile to God’s face?

Does anyone ever really know if their smile gives Jesus warm fuzzies?

Does anyone every really know if their deeds bring Jesus satisfaction?

I suppose there are reasons men espouse such lengthy words attributed to God.
I suppose in some ways the words bring some comfort.
I suppose the ability to quote provides us with personal contentment, much as Paul experienced with the Corinthians the first time.

Can our words then become service?
Will our words then feed the hungry?
Will our words then comfort the homeless?
Can our words then educate the seekers?
Will our words be reflected in our love?
Does our words fulfill the FAITH?
Would our words heal the sick?
Could our words be merely the clanging of cymbals?

I wonder, when God is there, in His place, gazing over His beloved, does He see our words or does He hear our heart?
I wonder what God will remember us for?

Having the best Rolex?
The newest car?
The biggest house?
The highest education?
The most hours in a pew?
The most laws obeyed?
The most endearing prayer?
The most important vote?
The best submissive spouse?
The best display of abstinence?
The best at resisting temptation?

Or will They remember how passionately we loved?
How deeply we cared for each other
How completely we gave of ourselves?
How honestly we spoke?
How thoroughly we embraced life?

Will They think of us, the same way we should have though of Them?

Will They see us the same way we see our Neighbors?

Will They mete out the same as we did to the poor?

Will They defend us as we defended the least of us?

Or will they say I NEVER KNEW YOU, WHO CLAIMED TO LOVE GOD YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN AND COULD NOT LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR WHO WAS WITH YOU EVERY DAY.

The ONLY answer that matters is the one EACH of us will be given, not what we recite from an empty mountain top that neither heals the SOUL nor nurtures the BODY.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:33 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,783,911 times
Isn't this another this I believe thread?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
It's unfortunate you believe untruths, Robert.

Because I believe you are a good man.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:32 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,910,926 times
Two major things wrong that I see: Authority transferred from the guide Jesus promised and the misreading and subsequent false doctrine based on the Isaiah quote. It is about people who are antithetical to the Spirit of God, who can't make up for that with what good they manage. Saying that it is about people who do not know and profess Jesus by name contradicts what Paul had to say about Gentiles who do right without the law. That makes for an exclusionary attitude that is far from warranted, a product of the religious controllers.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Isn't this another this I believe thread?
These are more specific to the doctrines of the Shiloh Truelight Church, a non-denominational church in Mint Hill, North Carolina. I believe these doctrines are clearly backed up by the words of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Two major things wrong that I see: Authority transferred from the guide Jesus promised and the misreading and subsequent false doctrine based on the Isaiah quote. It is about people who are antithetical to the Spirit of God, who can't make up for that with what good they manage. Saying that it is about people who do not know and profess Jesus by name contradicts what Paul had to say about Gentiles who do right without the law. That makes for an exclusionary attitude that is far from warranted, a product of the religious controllers.
Nateswift -

I believe the quote from Isaiah is absolutely in harmony with the words of Paul in Rom. 3:[10] As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: [11] There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. [12] They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
We must realize that without the Spirit of the Holy Ghost, we have no righteousness of our own, that our natural works are as filthy rags in the sight of God. We must confess that we are sinners and truly repent of our sins and beg Christ to forgive us and give up His Spirit to cleanse us. He promises us in Luke 11:[13] If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
Paul makes it very clear in Rom. 8:[9] But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
We must have a mind to be obedient to our Savior if we are to receive His Spirit which makes it possible for us to truly follow Him.

Your comment about Geniles doing right without the law is in keeping with Paul's words in Rom. 7:[6] But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Last edited by Robert M Prince; 05-19-2015 at 07:41 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's unfortunate you believe untruths, Robert.

Because I believe you are a good man.
zthatzmanz28 and TroutDude

Thanks for your comments, but I don't believe either one of you pinpointed any specific untruths.

Last edited by Robert M Prince; 05-19-2015 at 08:06 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 10:58 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
zthatzmanz28 and TroutDude

Thanks for your comments, but I don't believe either one of you pinpointed any specific untruths.
Don't know that was what we were after...

Old 05-19-2015, 11:06 AM

299 posts, read 263,538 times
Amen, Robert. Your post is Biblical and kind--as usual.
I believe the point you are giving the Scripture room to speak is this: Salvation is yes, a free gift of God (Eph 2:8-9), but it is also a gift which when received, bears fruit: the fruit of godliness and good works (Eph 2:10).
Any gospel that does not include the latter is not a true Biblical (esp. New Testament) gospel; because Jesus and His apostles taught this again and again.
The saved (redeemed by Christ's blood unto eternal life) are sanctified (made holy and set apart for God in thought, word and action); the sanctified are saved.
This teaching greatly annoys many, many people, because:
they believe any religion will do--or, no particular belief is correct; OR
they do not wish to own the fact that they are sinners in need of repentance and receive God's pardon through the once-shed blood of Jesus; OR
they believe they must have faith in/and their works or faith in their faith; OR
they believe the Calvinist lie that God does it all, there is nothing required of us--ever...
There is such a "download" of error held to by multitudes, and most are quite satisfied in their error. So much so that it is hard to find a one willing to look at the Scripture and go by it alone.
I fault, first of all, the preachers who rely on theology books & commentaries, as well as give "book" studies, instead of preaching the whole counsel of God straight from the Almighty's Word.
Then, I fault those who are too lazy to study to shew themselves approved to God by His Word.
Finally, I fault those too cowardly to leave an apostate system of religion because they don't want to lose employment/status/friends/family/comfort zone to stand up for Christ.
Am I pointing at everyone--condemning all with no hope of grace? I was guilty of the positions I stated above, of trusting in theology, man's works, etc. and God convicted me. I humbled myself and tossed man's books out and asked the Triune God--"teach me from Your Word." I've been learning ever since, and it has strengthened me and my family immensely as we take the Lord seriously and joyfully.
[Luke 14:26-33; John 15-16; Acts 2:32-47; Romans 2-8; 1 Cor 1-3; Gal 5-6; Eph 2-4; 1 Thess 4; 1 Pet 1; 2 Pet 1...]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity