Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 03:43 PM

4,685 posts, read 6,134,447 times

Advertisements

Matthew 5:17-18

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Luke 16:16-17

16 “The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it. 17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one tittle of the law to fail.

Matthew 5 states the nothing from the law will pass, which is true, Jesus was still alive when he said this so not one jot or tittle changed, but when he died on the cross he fulfilled and the law also changed.

Luke backs this up as well saying the law was until John the baptist, after that it is the Gospel to press forward, which can put to rest the whole has heaven and earth passed away arguments stating the OT law is still in effect: outside of ceremonial/sacrificial laws since they were fulfilled and abolished.

It seems when some people want to make a point, there seems to always be some Levitical law that can be thrown around in regards to not stoning someone for breaking Sabbath, putting to death a disobedient child, marrying a rapist, or eating unclean foods.

There has to be some sort of law, otherwise there would be no sin to be judged by. So what laws do Christians follow now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 03:49 PM

307 posts, read 285,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

16 “The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it. 17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one tittle of the law to fail.

Matthew 5 states the nothing from the law will pass, which is true, Jesus was still alive when he said this so not one jot or tittle changed, but when he died on the cross he fulfilled and the law also changed.

Luke backs this up as well saying the law was until John the baptist, after that it is the Gospel to press forward, which can put to rest the whole has heaven and earth passed away arguments stating the OT law is still in effect: outside of ceremonial/sacrificial laws since they were fulfilled and abolished.

It seems when some people want to make a point, there seems to always be some Levitical law that can be thrown around in regards to not stoning someone for breaking Sabbath, putting to death a disobedient child, marrying a rapist, or eating unclean foods.

There has to be some sort of law, otherwise there would be no sin to be judged by. So what laws do Christians follow now?
Well first of all the "Law" that is referred to in scripture was given to Israel only. That's not to say there are not commandments given to us today. But an understanding of what the "Law" is and who it applied to is a very important starting point.

You must also remember that in all the passages you quote the people talking and those to whom it is address are all living under the "Law". This message was never taken to the Gentiles as Jesus commanded. This was for Israel only according to Jesus.

I would go with what Jesus told us to do. "Love one another, as I have loved you".

Old 02-19-2013, 03:53 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Love God and each other daily and repent when you don't. You will find that when you properly understand agape love . . . it impacts your choices and behaviors far more extensively and expansively than any Ten or 613 mitzvahs. Try it and see.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:02 PM

4,685 posts, read 6,134,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by July 8th View Post
Well first of all the "Law" that is referred to in scripture was given to Israel only. That's not to say there are not commandments given to us today. But an understanding of what the "Law" is and who it applied to is a very important starting point.

You must also remember that in all the passages you quote the people talking and those to whom it is address are all living under the "Law". This message was never taken to the Gentiles as Jesus commanded. This was for Israel only according to Jesus.
I understand what your saying , but the commands in the NT are pulled straight from the OT with a few minor additions that go into detail how we are to Love one another in the NT.

Look at the some of the recent debates on here.

If its about Gay anything, the 1rst thing thrown out is that Christians are wrong for not following many commands in OT and just cherry pick what hey want to follow, so they can do what they want as well.

If someone states they follow the bible, there are many commands that will be questioned as to why they are not following it and why do you judge by commands A-S and skip commands S-Z and think what you are doing is correct. This is escpecially the case when atheist come on here

So how is one to read the word and know which commands specifically to do now. I personally think its the commands we see in the New Testament we are to follow now since they were carried from the OT, so they must be what is important, but I am also told many times that I am wrong and that heaven and earth are still here, so the Law is still in effect, so Im still supposed to be doing Torah.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I understand what your saying , but the commands in the NT are pulled straight from the OT with a few minor additions that go into detail how we are to Love one another in the NT.

Look at the some of the recent debates on here.

If its about Gay anything, the 1rst thing thrown out is that Christians are wrong for not following many commands in OT and just cherry pick what hey want to follow, so they can do what they want as well.

If someone states they follow the bible, there are many commands that will be questioned as to why they are not following it and why do you judge by commands A-S and skip commands S-Z and think what you are doing is correct. This is escpecially the case when atheist come on here

So how is one to read the word and know which commands specifically to do now. I personally think its the commands we see in the New Testament we are to follow now since they were carried from the OT, so they must be what is important, but I am also told many times that I am wrong and that heaven and earth are still here, so the Law is still in effect, so Im still supposed to be doing Torah.
So you seem to pretty much agree with me. As for looking at things in the OT, it helps us to understand how God see's things but we are not under the law according to the NT. But you asked about what "Law" "Christians" are to follow, then you bring up what applies to non-Christians.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:10 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
8Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. 9The commandments, “Do not commit adultery,” “Do not murder,” “Do not steal,” “Do not covet,”and whatever other commandment there may be(including stoning folk to death), are summed up in this one rule: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”b 10Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 PM

This say's it very well:

"we are under the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2), which is to “love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind…and to love your neighbor as yourself” (Matthew 22:37-39). If we obey those two commands, we will be fulfilling all that Christ requires of us: “All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments” (Matthew 22:40). Now, this does not mean the Old Testament law is irrelevant today. Many of the commands in the Old Testament law fall into the categories of “loving God” and “loving your neighbor.” The Old Testament law can be a good guidepost for knowing how to love God and knowing what goes into loving your neighbor. At the same time, to say that the Old Testament law applies to Christians today is incorrect. The Old Testament law is a unit (James 2:10). Either all of it applies, or none of it applies. If Christ fulfilled some of it, such as the sacrificial system, He fulfilled all of it."

Full article here: Do Christians have to obey the Old Testament law?

Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,956,993 times
James sums things up for us at James [ 2 v 8 ] when he mentions the 'royal' or 'kingly' law of loving neighbor as self.
So, all of God's laws are summed up in the 'law of love' [ John 13 vs 34,35 ] It's the absence of that 'law of love' that causes badness on earth.
Who was ever arrested for neighborly love such as the neighborly good Samaritan displayed ? - James 2 vs 15,16

Old 02-19-2013, 04:29 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
All the judgment of the law are void as Jesus Christ is the only judge of the living and the dead ...... But most of the law are there for the sinners and are a outline of perfect righteousness , and ethics from Christ..... As Jesus is the redeemer of all sin , and judge ..... Like there are laws like `don`t eat shellfish`...so is you eat the shellfish and get ill then He warned you , so pray grace over the shell fish ..... Still so if you brake the law or sin and attract demons into your life , then Jesus is your righteousness , so repent and pray that the sin and curses are gone through Jesus blood ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity