Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 09:44 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times

Advertisements

We bought a new house. Actually, it was built in the 1920s. A neighbor said it has a "strange past". Not gonna go into the whole thing, but that we should get the place blessed by someone.

Neither of us is Catholic.

There have been a few unusual things here that have happened that are a little strange.

Can homes be blessed? What type of Christian clergy person would bless a house? Has anyone had this done? What about dedicating a dwelling place to God?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 10:29 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Sure it's "scriptural" to bless a home!

You just ask your minister to do it for you

Luke: 10:5-9

Peace to this house.

The Lord said to the seventy-two: "Into whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this household.' If a peaceful person lives there, your peace will rest on him; but if not, it will return to you. Stay in the same house and eat and drink what is offered to you, for the laborer deserves his payment. Do not move about from one house to another. Whatever town you enter and they welcome you, eat what is set before you, cure the sick in it, and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God is at hand for you.'"

I believe "dedicating" a house to God would be when you plan to use the home for some purpose that serves Him such as for unwed mothers or recovering drug addicts etc.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:34 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
We bought a new house. Actually, it was built in the 1920s. A neighbor said it has a "strange past". Not gonna go into the whole thing, but that we should get the place blessed by someone.

Neither of us is Catholic.

There have been a few unusual things here that have happened that are a little strange.

Can homes be blessed? What type of Christian clergy person would bless a house? Has anyone had this done? What about dedicating a dwelling place to God?
I'm a pastor now, but I wasn't when we bought our first house. My wife and I went from room to room and asked God's blessing on the house, and the rooms--and that he would allow us to use the home for his glory.

I'm quite sure that if you were to call a priest he'd be happy to do it...I'm sure many protestant pastors would be willing to do it as well. Not sure if you should give a few bucks for a gratuity or not.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:09 PM

367 posts, read 370,042 times
I'll do it for you. Don't even have to come to your house to do it.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:07 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Sure you can consecrate your home your self if you are born again in the Spirit of Christ , as you will have the power of Jesus Holy Spirit , or you could ask a minister of your church to bless your home ,....Still you should keep your home in your prayers , which will consecrate your home to Christ which will give the Lord authority to keep and protect your home for years to come ......In 1 Kings 8: 63...... King Solomon offered a sacrifice of a peace offering on the house of the tabernacle which was build for the Lord , which he had 22 thousand oxen and a 120 thousand sheep were sacrificed to the Lord , which was a consecration for the Lords House .....

Old 04-12-2013, 01:17 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
DONE! live in peace

Old 04-12-2013, 03:51 PM

281 posts, read 306,146 times
If you are a believer, you can bless the house yourself. There's no special power that a pastor (and I am one) or priest has that isn't granted to every other believer. People bless things everyday, especially their food. If you need guidance in how to bless something, I'll give it to you right here

When we bless God, we are thanking Him, acknowledging who He is, and ascribing to Him what He alone can do an Is.

Being blessed means that we are happy with what we have, appropriately, Paul says, 'With food and clothing, therewith shall you be content (happy).' If you want to think of it in 'mystic' terms, a blessing is a boon that God grants to His servants. The boon is that we have the peace that passes all understanding, that we have the Joy of Christ, our Hope inside us and that we are indwelt by His Spirit to guide us into all righteousness. You are Blessed, and so is your House because you have the Love of God dwelling within you.

If you want to have your house blessed, thank God for it and be content. Use it for His glory in what ever you do with it.

Blessings in Christ,

Matthew

Old 04-12-2013, 04:59 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,378,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Can homes be blessed?
Only if it's built upon a rock! (rimshot)

I don't see anything really unscriptural about it. Isaac was able to give a blessing and I can't think of how the new covenant might change anything in that regard. I'm not sure who much good it will truly do but I suppose it is a good gesture and can't hurt anything.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:38 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
If you know what's good for you, you'd bless that house.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:55 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
If you know what's good for you, you'd bless that house.

Hmmm...what do you mean by this?

I don't think that a Pastor can do some special voo doo to bless a house. I believe in the priesthood of all believers. However, I also believe that there is power in numbers and in agreement among believers.
Agreeing in prayer is scriptural. And inviting more people to pray with you can't hurt.

"though one may be over powered, two can defend themselves, (but) a cord of three strands is not quickly broken" Ekl. 4:12

Last edited by sheena12; 04-13-2013 at 10:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity