Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 06:23 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: delete posted this elsewhere...

Quote:
Actually when Jesus Christ opened my understanding I saw that all the conditions I created and put on myself, God and neighbor as a staunch fundamentalist, all the preconceived ideas of God I had as a Fundamentalist,all the misconceptions I had of God as a fundamentalist,all the misconceptions i had of myself as a fundamentalist,all which came by my Fundamentalist mindset of the bible, rather than by the Christ within, was what I needed not to stop and think about, but repent from.
So my question is - what (not who) is a fundamentalist? And why is it bad?

Virtually nobody claims to be a fundamentalist - yet the term is thrown out there as though there is a separate denomination of these people.

I will let you respond and will chime in later. Thanks.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-14-2013 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: I deleted the name as we aren't supposed to name a poster in starting a thread on something he said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
The term "fundamentalist" has evolved to mean a strictly literalist interpretation of all elements of the Bible as well as the perception that it is essentially authored by God and final authority in all matters of faith.

Why is it bad? Because it puts the basis for relating to God and man on a completely authoritarian basis which really has no room for the spirit that should animate those relationships. Because of that often relatively insignificant details reported in the Bible are noften interpreted differently and form the basis for divisions among groups claiming to be Christian.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:40 AM

367 posts, read 370,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Pcamps posted this elsewhere...

Virtually nobody claims to be a fundamentalist - yet the term is thrown out there as though there is a separate denomination of these people.

Quote:
A fundamentalist is someone who holds to the "fundamental" of something.

The definition of fundamental is:

1fun·da·men·tal adjective \ˌfən-də-ˈmen-təl\
a : serving as an original or generating source : primary <a discovery fundamental to modern computers>
b : serving as a basis supporting existence or determining essential structure or function : basic
a : of or relating to essential structure, function, or facts : radical <fundamental change>; also : of or dealing with
So the proper explanation of a fundamentalist would be someone who holds to the "original source" and accepts the "basic essential structure, function and facts" of something.

Therefore Jesus would be an perfect example of a fundamentalist in that He held to the true meaning of the faith.

Anyone who does not hold to the fundamentals of the faith have departed from what Jesus was all about.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:45 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
posted this elsewhere...

When I was one,i went around with my eyes closed, I was hard of hearing, yet believed I was what one poster describes a 100% bible believer. I dismissed everyone who did not believe how I believed to hell. Clung to the bible not God. Professed to know God even though I did not know myself and condemned everyone to hell I thought was a sinner if they did not believe in Jesus.

Still trying to wake up, I will be back with more of the child of hell I was. Until I found Christ within me.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-14-2013 at 08:07 AM..

Old 04-14-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
When I was one,i went around with my eyes closed, I was hard of hearing, yet believed I was what one poster describes a 100% bible believer. I dismissed everyone who did not believe how I believed to hell. Clung to the bible not God. Professed to know God even though I did not know myself and condemned everyone to hell I thought was a sinner if they did not believe in Jesus.

Still trying to wake up, I will be back with more of the child of hell I was. Until I found Christ within me.
That does not sound like you were holding to the fundamentals at all. You are applying a false name to something.Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-14-2013 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: personal and attacking

Old 04-14-2013, 06:54 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWayne View Post
That does not sound like you were holding to the fundamentals at all. You are applying a false name to something. Let's not lie about thingsModerator cut: orphaned..
So it depends on whether you require holding to an old dictionary definition as authoritative or look at what the "street usage" is, which I believe is what the question is about.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-14-2013 at 08:02 AM..

Old 04-14-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So it depends on whether you require holding to an old dictionary definition as authoritative or look at what the "street usage" is, which I believe is what the question is about.
It depends on if you accept the true, fundamental meaning of a word or what some men have changed it to mean. Most non-fundamentalist prefer the meanings of man over truth.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:33 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWayne View Post
That does not sound like you were holding to the fundamentals at all. You are applying a false name to somethingModerator cut: delete.
What I stated was who I was. You do not have to believe me. The person I had become through my fundamentalist beliefs I was completely unaware of. One day I woke up came to the senses. Went to the evening meeting, which was an open meeting where you could get up and freely share, I did, what I shared went own like a lead balloon. I also knew without doubt that I had to leave the fellowship. Told the. Pastor what I had decided to do, he said i was wrong, i said have you ever considered you could be wrong?, he said he was wrong many times but God never is( this is the hallmark of a fundamentalist), anyway I left.Some thought I was hell bound,some thought I was deceived, others thought i was a back slider. Yet whenever I happened to come across them, they saw the grace of God in my life( their words not mine),which was also instrumental in others leaving, knowing there is life outside of fundamentalism

So I believed in Jesus, was a 100% bible believer, (devoured it), evangelized, shared tracts,played in a outreach band, a deacon. After being this for 10 years i became a christian( not a universalist, never heard of it then). When I say I became a Christian, I mean I began to know,understand and follow the teachings of the way,truth and the life.

The fundamentalist like the prodigals brother does not know he is one and takes issue with the Father being so unconditionally abounding in His love,grace and mercy.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-14-2013 at 08:03 AM..

Old 04-14-2013, 08:18 AM

889 posts, read 825,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The term "fundamentalist" has evolved to mean a strictly literalist interpretation of all elements of the Bible as well as the perception that it is essentially authored by God and final authority in all matters of faith.

Why is it bad? Because it puts the basis for relating to God and man on a completely authoritarian basis which really has no room for the spirit that should animate those relationships. Because of that often relatively insignificant details reported in the Bible are noften interpreted differently and form the basis for divisions among groups claiming to be Christian.
I realize that a fundamentalist is perceived to believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible, but the truth is a fundamentalist is actually a person who takes a literal view of parts of the Bible and completely ignores other parts of the Bible like John 6 and Matthew 16. So it's more of a cafeteria version of literalism where different folks pick and choose what portions of the Bible they want to take literally.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What I stated was who I was. You do not have to believe me. The person I had become through my fundamentalist beliefs I was completely unaware of. One day I woke up came to the senses. Went to the evening meeting, which was an open meeting where you could get up and freely share, I did, what I shared went own like a lead balloon. I also knew without doubt that I had to leave the fellowship. Told the. Pastor what I had decided to do, he said i was wrong, i said have you ever considered you could be wrong?, he said he was wrong many times but God never is( this is the hallmark of a fundamentalist), anyway I left.Some thought I was hell bound,some thought I was deceived, others thought i was a back slider. Yet whenever I happened to come across them, they saw the grace of God in my life( their words not mine),which was also instrumental in others leaving, knowing there is life outside of fundamentalism

So I believed in Jesus, was a 100% bible believer, (devoured it), evangelized, shared tracts,played in a outreach band, a deacon. After being this for 10 years i became a christian( not a universalist, never heard of it then). When I say I became a Christian, I mean I began to know,understand and follow the teachings of the way,truth and the life.

The fundamentalist like the prodigals brother does not know he is one and takes issue with the Father being so unconditionally abounding in His love,grace and mercy.
So your saying you think you really were a Christian before you rejected Jesus Christ and became a UR? Is that what your saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity